Staying on property benefits?

SugarSweetLee

Mouseketeer
Since there are no extra magic hours or FP right now, what are some benefits of staying on property vs at a non-Disney hotel? Is there anything I'm forgetting, beyond being in the "bubble" and the transportation options?

Since there are no extra magic hours or FP right now, what are some benefits of staying on property vs at a non-Disney hotel? Is there anything I'm forgetting, beyond being in the "bubble" and the transportation options?
There aren’t many benefits right now. I guess the biggest one might be that the pool of available park reservations seems to be larger than for offsite guests.

I have gone back and forth between a DS good neighbor hotel and staying at POP for my upcoming solo trip. I won't have a car, so transportation is really the main reason (including ME). I agree about the pool of ressies, too. I didn't want to take a chance of not being able to go if they limit capacity.

I have gone back and forth between a DS good neighbor hotel and staying at POP for my upcoming solo trip. I won't have a car, so transportation is really the main reason (including ME). I agree about the pool of ressies, too. I didn't want to take a chance of not being able to go if they limit capacity.

That's the debate I'm having, the neighbor hotels or not. We don't know if we are going to be flying or driving - I'm guessing there isn't airport shuttle service from the DS neighbors? (Haven't researched yet)

That's the debate I'm having, the neighbor hotels or not. We don't know if we are going to be flying or driving - I'm guessing there isn't airport shuttle service from the DS neighbors? (Haven't researched yet)
Swolphin is your best bet for park transportation, as it uses Disney buses and you can walk to two parks. Airport shuttles are typically an extra per person charge and need to be arranged in advance.

If you're going to be driving though, that eliminates a lot of the onsite advantage at the moment, since transportation is probably the main onsite perk at present.

We’ve decided on Dolphin for our trip in June. Who knows what things will be like then but we had the pints to take our daughter and her family. My sister decided to tag along and wants her own room but doesn’t want to put out for the Dolphin. She made a rsvn for the Holiday Inn DS. I think it’s a big mistake for trying to meet us wherever but she doesn’t understand what it’s like. I think if you can Uber you’ll be fine.

FYI- I booked on Hotwire yesterday and got a great deal at the Pop ($90) a night. It was one of those- you don't know until you reserve it deals.

FYI- I booked on Hotwire yesterday and got a great deal at the Pop ($90) a night. It was one of those- you don't know until you reserve it deals.
Oooh, how far out did you find that for? I’ve been kind of looking for a cheap onsite trip, since airfare is next to nothing at the moment, but I don’t know if I’m too early or too late to possibly catch a HotRate deal

The TV in refurb room is huge!( I have a 42" at home). Can listen to music continuously! Pools are beautiful. Transportation from/to airport is included. Lots of activities at the resort to do. Transportation is more fun onsite, boats, skyliner, monorail(?). Don't have to deal with traffic if you don't want.

Last edited:
Oooh, how far out did you find that for? I’ve been kind of looking for a cheap onsite trip, since airfare is next to nothing at the moment, but I don’t know if I’m too early or too late to possibly catch a HotRate deal
Check this thread, loads of helpful people and tips :)
https://www.disboards.com/threads/priceline-express-deals.3598657/
Edited to add, it's a Priceline thread, but lots of Hotwire talk too. I've been looking for PLE for November, but nothing yet.

Swolphin is your best bet for park transportation, as it uses Disney buses and you can walk to two parks. Airport shuttles are typically an extra per person charge and need to be arranged in advance.

If you're going to be driving though, that eliminates a lot of the onsite advantage at the moment, since transportation is probably the main onsite perk at present.

Sadly out of our price range!

Honestly, one of the benefits I think is overlooked is really feeling like you are somewhere else. You are not surrounded by usual businesses, traffic, trains, etc. From when you
are on property and the "highway" signs change to purple & red, you know you are not even just in Orlando. The people you deal with are either also on vacation or supposed
to be making sure you are enjoying your stay.

Sadly out of our price range!
I think what makes it tricky is that we haven't gotten to peak crowds yet but likely will in the coming months, so hard to know how bad off-site bus transportation will be. This weekend (labor day) should be a good test so I'd recommend going on tripadvisor for the neighbor hotels a week from now and seeing what people say about transportation. But with all the distancing measures that are being used for buses/shuttles these days, I'd be really nervous about having only bus transportation to a park right now, especially non-disney transportation.

If you can splurge for Pop (or get a good deal on something like priceline or hotwire), you'd have the skyliner, which is awesome.

Honestly, one of the benefits I think is overlooked is really feeling like you are somewhere else. You are not surrounded by usual businesses, traffic, trains, etc. From when you
are on property and the "highway" signs change to purple & red, you know you are not even just in Orlando. The people you deal with are either also on vacation or supposed
to be making sure you are enjoying your stay.

Yes, as I mentioned there definitely is "the bubble"! And that is worth something :)

I think what makes it tricky is that we haven't gotten to peak crowds yet but likely will in the coming months, so hard to know how bad off-site bus transportation will be. This weekend (labor day) should be a good test so I'd recommend going on tripadvisor for the neighbor hotels a week from now and seeing what people say about transportation. But with all the distancing measures that are being used for buses/shuttles these days, I'd be really nervous about having only bus transportation to a park right now, especially non-disney transportation.

If you can splurge for Pop (or get a good deal on something like priceline or hotwire), you'd have the skyliner, which is awesome.

Pop is what we'd probably be considering if we don't go with a neighbor hotel. The Skyliner was really lovely on our last trip...we were just thinking of maybe picking something a little calmer and slightly more luxe-feeling since this trip would kind of be a belated honeymoon (fiance has gone back to school for a career change, so he's in classes again the Monday after we get married this Oct 🤷‍♀️).

You make some good points about transportation- the only time we can likely go is the week before Xmas, and even if attendance is reduced for COVID reasons it will still be a lot busier than what anyone is experiencing atm. Labor Day will be an interesting indicator of what might lie in store, even on a smaller scale.

For us the biggest benefit to staying on property is the transportation system and being able to walk to parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter