Staying outside vs in All Sports

geethb

Earning My Ears
All,
we are a budget minded family of four, me, wife & two kids aged 5 & 11, planning for april 1-6, flying on 1 and in the park from 2,3,4,5,6
flying back on April 6 evening
Can you please let me know your thoughts on staying outside or staying inside resort makes sense, i am planning for a budget trip
if i stay outside will i be able to do character dining
also does Dining plan make sense?
I want to chose disney dining plan for character dining
If you stayed outside did you like it? did you save enough to make it worth it ? Also how did you manage food, parking etc.
Is that too much to handle?

Thanks,
GeethB

The one and only time we stayed off site we hated it. We drive down, park the car at the resort (WDW resort) and don't get back in it again until we leave. We love using WDW transportation. And yes, we did it even when my son was a toddler and I was a single mom. I didn't lug around a stroller or a huge bag, he wouldn't sit in a stroller unless he was too tired for words, in those cases being on site was great because we would just hop on a bus back to the resort for a rest. Some will say it's worth it, some will say it's not, for us, nope.

Yes, you will be able to do character dining. I think your window for booking is a little shorter than if you stay on site but you can do it.

No one can say if the dining plan makes sense, it's entirely subjective and depends totally on how your family eats, what they eat and if you are going to load up on a lot of expensive character dining experiences instead of just one or two. You would have to look at menus, decide what you might eat and do the math to see if it makes sense. Remember, it's one QS, one TS and x (I'm not sure) amount of snacks a day, that is a lot of food and a lot of planning. You can probably eat for a lot less than the dining plan is if you eat mostly QS and share.

Thanks a lot.
I think I might just stay in all sports, no dining plan for this trip.

My son and his pregnant wife recently stayed one night at All Sports and got a very musty smelling old room. For what they paid, they could have gone off-site to a Disney Springs hotel and gotten alot more for their money. This resort definitely needs some updating.

Our budget trips have been done off site in a 2 bedroom condo for approx 70-80 dollars a night. We drove and brought our own food. It was cheap and we still enjoyed it BUT it was different. We did save significant amounts of money and still had a great time. Flying in, I think you would be better off staying in a value resort so you don’t have to rent a car and pay for parking daily. I have never felt the dining plans were worth the price but we don’t do a lot of character or sit down dinners. You can always try getting a few groceries delivered to the resort for breakfast, snacks, and drinks.

Our couple off-site stays were at a place called the Blue Tree Resort. One time we had driven ourselves and the second time we flew in and got a rental. Very reasonable and located near many restaurants, grocery stores, etc. If I recall correctly, it was within a short drive of Disney Springs, then Downtown Disney.

I made reservations without DDP on resort, but mostly we ate cereal in the condo and went out to the local restaurants around the lodging. We even just sat at some restaurants at the Parks and waited for openings without reservations.

Honestly, while I was OK with the morning drive into our chosen park, I especially grew weary of the drive back at the end of the day. We were all crabby and tired and while the kids and wife get to immediately nap, I had to still drive us safely back to the condo. We then still had to think about the evening meal, if not already taken care of.

In the end, we enjoyed ourselves at this off site location, but as the kids grew older I knew I wanted to be more surrounded by Disney so everywhere we went they were enveloped by it. I wanted to have everything taken care of and became more willing to pay for it every 18 months or so. Now I don't have to drive my tired family anywhere. We just get on a Skyliner and float back to the room.

Anyone can do character dining. You don't need a meal plan or an on-site stay. If you are looking at budget-friendly options, you might look offsite. I know the Swan (boardwalk area) has character dining that's much less expensive than on-site options. When we stayed there, we saw Minnie and Goofy at breakfast with no ADR; just walked in. There are some Disney spring restaurants that also have character dining for less than on-site

Dining plan is a terrible idea if you're on a budget. Everyone in the room has to be on it, and your 11-year-old will be charged as an adult. Unless you are doing character dining daily and drinking a lot of alcohol, the dining plan will not pay for itself. But if you're budget-minded, you're probably not someone who is going to do character meals every day. Plus, don't underestimate how much time those meals eat up; you'll lose 1-2 hours of park time for each. You can pay out of pocket for a few nice meals, and you'll still come out ahead. Most Disney meals are a lot of food. Unless you're at a buffet, you can save money by sharing entrees, having an appetizer instead of an entree, and/or ordering a child's meal. As an adult, I was quite satisfied with children's meals on our last trip.

Offsite CAN be a money saver, but it depends on how you do it. Renting a car and paying $25/day to park will eat into your savings rather quickly, though there ARE bargains out there. Especially if you look into some of the timeshares, you might be able to get a bargain that still brings you out ahead. Additionally, if you're in a unit with a kitchen, you can save quite a lot preparing simple meals, or just using the car to eat at non-Disney-priced restaurants. Others use a combination of Uber/Lyft and hotel shuttle to avoid renting a car. Especially if you're one to spend all day in the parks without going back for a midday break, Uber/Lyft would probably be on par or less than the parking fee. On the other hand, an All-Star is certainly less work than figuring out the options, especially if you're not already well versed in priceline, hotwire, etc.

One problem with All Star Sports is it hasn't been renovated, so you'll have 4 people in two double beds for 5 nights. It is a small space with small beds. My family would not sleep well under those circumstances, and we'd be crabby as a result. Your family might have no problem with that arrangement, but being squished for a week is different from sucking it up for a night or two. Even if offsite doesn't give you much in the way of savings, it can give you a lot in the way of space.

A compromise might be to look at Disney Springs hotels. The DS hotels are generally nicer than the All-Stars (indoor corridors, queen beds, etc.), so you might find greater value in the accommodations. Especially if you look at discounted websites like Priceline, you can usually find some options that are less expensive than All Stars, even after adding the dreaded resort fees. DS hotels have reliable transportation to/from the parks, so you don't need a car, and you get the 60-day fast pass booking window and extra magic hours. The catch is, you need to get yourself to and from MCO; an Uber will cost about $40 each way.

Purely from a personal stance, if I'm traveling with my husband and kids, we stay offsite and rent a car. If I'm going to Disney myself with one or two kids, we'll stay value or Disney Springs to avoid the costs of car rental and parking.

We would never stay offsite. We drive and as said by another poster, we park the car and don't get back in until we leave. If we couldn't stay onsite or have to skimp on food, we would wait another year and save up to do the vacation how we would like.

there ARE bargains out there. Especially if you look into some of the timeshares, you might be able to get a bargain that still brings you out ahead.
Whatever you do, don't try to save any money by getting into a timeshare! You'll be paying for it the rest of your life!

Whatever you do, don't try to save any money by getting into a timeshare! You'll be paying for it the rest of your life!

Goodness, I’m not talking about buying a timeshare! There are lots of timeshare properties in the area that rent out units, either from the property itself or from individual owners. Marriott, Sheraton, Wyndham, etc. all have multiple properties in close proximity with weekly or nightly rentals.

The units are more spacious than a hotel room, and can be money savers with kitchens and laundry in the unit.

On the other side of Orlando board, people sometimes manage to snag incredible deals, like two bedroom units for a few hundred per week at nice places. Often deals like that are people trying to get some money back on a week they booked and can’t use or last-minute specials. They’re not the norm, and take some know-how and scouting, but they are out there. Orlando is a very saturated market, and you can find nice resorts for prices that would only be for sketchy dives in other locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter