"Stemming" or "Stimming"

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
I have always used the word Stimming, to refer to self-stimulation behaviors such as rocking, hand flapping etc. But i see many people using the word stemming....is it something new, or was i wrong, or is it just the "Southern" version :)

I am a therapist and have used this term with families, so I hope I have not been wrong, but I always thought it was "stimming" from self-stimulation.

I've heard both.
The more common way to refer to it in my neck of the woods is 'stimming' and I think 'stimming' is the more common.

I saw 'stemming' on here and just thought it was a typo... but as far as I know, stimming, like someone else said, is from 'stimulation'.

thanks, must have been a typo! But i could just imagine stemming..meaning to branch out with other behaviors or some such!

We're in Louisiana and we're "stimming" here...

And when its hard-core we refer to my little stimmers as

STIM-A-RIFIC! :rotfl:

-IncredibleMom

I have seen stemming, but it has been mostly in parent discussions or on individual people's website. I have never heard anyone pronounce it as "stemming". It was possibly a typo by someone and then copied by other people who read that site.

IncredibleMom said:
And when its hard-core we refer to my little stimmers as

STIM-A-RIFIC! :rotfl:

-IncredibleMom
That is so funny. When my daughter is "hard-core", we refer to her as Stimmy Stimmerson. Gotta laugh, you know?

SueM in MN said:
I have seen stemming, but it has been mostly in parent discussions or on individual people's website. I have never heard anyone pronounce it as "stemming". It was possibly a typo by someone and then copied by other people who read that site.

Its funny you say that because my husband is from Philly and it sounds like "stemming" when he says it even though he thinks he's saying "stimming". He also says "staring" for "stirring"...

The term is definitely "stimming" as in stimulation...

OKWMom said:
That is so funny. When my daughter is "hard-core", we refer to her as Stimmy Stimmerson. Gotta laugh, you know?

LOVE IT!!

My husband and I exchange familiar "stim phrases" like inside jokes!
I love my stimmy kids!

-IncredibleMom

OKWMom said:

LOL!
When my Vinny is having an "off kilter" day we call it a SunStimmy Day... (Sometimes we sing it to the tune of "Sunshiny Day").
T'other day the boys were at the clubhouse having milk and cookies and playing w/ some of the other kids in the complex and I hear Sammy holler out "It's ok, he's (Vinny I assume) 'Tistic and doesn't get the rules like us. He has issues!"

Sara

Brightsy said:
LOL!
When my Vinny is having an "off kilter" day we call it a SunStimmy Day... (Sometimes we sing it to the tune of "Sunshiny Day").
T'other day the boys were at the clubhouse having milk and cookies and playing w/ some of the other kids in the complex and I hear Sammy holler out "It's ok, he's (Vinny I assume) 'Tistic and doesn't get the rules like us. He has issues!"

Sara

You know, I am always amazed at how well the other children accept Hailey's limitations and just keep going. For example, Hailey used to have scheduled peer play during the after school program at a local daycare. Her designated peer was a wonderful young girl, who, to put it mildly, showed great leadership skills. The peer was only 6, so she really couldn't understand all of the ins and outs of autism, she just knew that although Hailey could hear, she didn't understand everything that was said to her, nor could she talk. Well, one day on the playground when Hailey didn't respond to a question, one of the other older girls, in a very snotty voice, said to the peer, "What's wrong, can't she hear?" The peer, without any hesitation or any prompting, responded "Of course she can hear dummy, she just doesn't speak English." I don't know if the other kids accepted that because they believed it or if they just didn't want to challenge the peer, but that was the last problem we had there. It remains one of our favorite stories and my family will use that line on each other from time to time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter