Step up to the plate Disney Cruise Line!

There are as many threads from people afraid of the current food as bored by it. I don't hold up much hope for a fully featured menu with cajun cuisine. What I think would be good for the MDRs is at least one dish per course that's a bit more adventurous, maybe even mark it that way--I know one of the other lines does this.

I totally agree with everyone’s thoughts and comments, I love hearing both sides of the coin, but I still maintain that people should get the chance to sample the Louisiana( Cajun/ reopens) cuisine. It doesn’t have to be spicy, just Louisiana savory. I really think it would help set the scene.

I totally agree with everyone’s thoughts and comments, I love hearing both sides of the coin, but I still maintain that people should get the chance to sample the Louisiana( Cajun/ reopens) cuisine. It doesn’t have to be spicy, just Louisiana savory. I really think it would help set the scene.

So, are you advocating for authentic or inspired by? It seems you're saying both. ;)

Now I would have to agree with the menu at Tiana’s Place. My little one was looking forward to eating Gumbo because it was in the movie. Wish they would add a little more Louisiana Flare.

Authentic. Definitely.
Authentic. Definitely.
As far as I'm concerned it is inspired, somewhat, right now. I'm just saying we all know New Orleans is world renown for their food. Well, let's let everyone give it a try. Of course have a steak and the perennial chicken dish on the menu but why not a good gumbo and rice in the SOUPS menu? (Notice I said good.) How about boudin balls added to the APPETIZERS? Put Bananas Foster, not in a sundae, on the dessert menu.

If you can have menu changes for "regional" dishes, you can di it for a New Orleans themed dining experience.

As far as I'm concerned it is inspired, somewhat, right now. I'm just saying we all know New Orleans is world renown for their food. Well, let's let everyone give it a try. Of course have a steak and the perennial chicken dish on the menu but why not a good gumbo and rice in the SOUPS menu? (Notice I said good.) How about boudin balls added to the APPETIZERS? Put Bananas Foster, not in a sundae, on the dessert menu.

Are Disney chefs allowed to flambe food on a ship, or is it too much of a fire hazard?

Are Disney chefs allowed to flambe food on a ship, or is it too much of a fire hazard?
I would think fire hazard.

On bananas foster, if I have a choice of a sundae or no banana foster flavor st all, I'd go with the sundae.

I'll also hold the sauce on the beignets. I am always amused at places that add a dipping sauce for beignets. Sauce on the side still wont stop me from eating them though!

I wonder how many people would give reginal cuisine a try with things that are "inspired by" and then travel to the actual region for the authentic stuff...

Technically, they could make all the food better. Pick pizza, for example. They pretty much use the same ingredients any other place uses, but shipboard pizza is nowhere near what it could be. Why doesn't pool pizza taste the same as sausage flatbread from Palo? Again, same ingredients and for the most part, cooked the same way. Well, that is the same story for almost anything on board. Part of it is the chef's choice, part of it economics. But, as already has been mentioned, it's the appeal to the broadest cross section of diners.

A good gumbo would be killer though.

DCL use to have good pizza. Now it’s like eating a cracker.

There are as many threads from people afraid of the current food as bored by it. I don't hold up much hope for a fully featured menu with cajun cuisine. What I think would be good for the MDRs is at least one dish per course that's a bit more adventurous, maybe even mark it that way--I know one of the other lines does this.
That makes sense to me. One truly authentic dish, truly relates to the theme, and then others that are watered down/inspired by/etc.

While I totally agree with the original poster, I also think that the vast majority of people cruising are on the ship because they want safe and familiar food (and experiences and environment) and "inspired by" is as far as they're willing to go. It's not great for the minority who actually like authentic and adventurous but there you have it.

Most other cruise ships have gone to the multiple extra restaurant model with half a dozen or so extra pay options even on the mid sized ships. Disney has decided to stay with the 3 main dining room plus one or two upscale options model and I'm guessing that most cruisers are quite happy with it. However, you'll never be able to serve authentic dishes to a 500 seat dining room the same way that you can in a 50 seat bistro. Then again, you'll never be able to completely replicate truly authentic cuisine on a cruise ship anyway so there you go.

I don't cruise for the food. I'm not super picky and I enjoy the meals very much, but that's because I keep my expectations low and save the real experiences for when I'm on land.

While I totally agree with the original poster, I also think that the vast majority of people cruising are on the ship because they want safe and familiar food (and experiences and environment) and "inspired by" is as far as they're willing to go. It's not great for the minority who actually like authentic and adventurous but there you have it.

Most other cruise ships have gone to the multiple extra restaurant model with half a dozen or so extra pay options even on the mid sized ships. Disney has decided to stay with the 3 main dining room plus one or two upscale options model and I'm guessing that most cruisers are quite happy with it. However, you'll never be able to serve authentic dishes to a 500 seat dining room the same way that you can in a 50 seat bistro. Then again, you'll never be able to completely replicate truly authentic cuisine on a cruise ship anyway so there you go.

I don't cruise for the food. I'm not super picky and I enjoy the meals very much, but that's because I keep my expectations low and save the real experiences for when I'm on land.

Totally agree with this. If they are wanting more they would go to an upscale pay for it restaurant. Unfortunately, I would like authentic food but I know most Americans don't. That's why we have such abysmal "Chinese food" in this country. But really DCL don't tell me something is spicy and then I can't even tell if you put chili powder in it.

I spoke with one of our servers on the Wonder, who was from Trinidad, about the jerk chicken on one night's menu during the WBPC cruise this year. As a mildly seasoned baked chicken, it was quite delicious, but there was nothing even remotely resembling jerk about it. He agreed and said it used to be at least moderately spicy and much closer in flavor to an authentic jerk seasoning, but too many people complained that it was too strong and sent the dish back for something their palates could handle better. So, a dish that was "inspired by" to begin with got even more watered down because passengers demanded it.

In other words, be glad the menu at Tiana's Place even manages to be "inspired by" Cajun cuisine, because if they actually tried putting authentic gumbo on the menu, it would soon be replaced by something even blander than what's there now.

I spoke with one of our servers on the Wonder, who was from Trinidad, about the jerk chicken on one night's menu during the WBPC cruise this year. As a mildly seasoned baked chicken, it was quite delicious, but there was nothing even remotely resembling jerk about it. He agreed and said it used to be at least moderately spicy and much closer in flavor to an authentic jerk seasoning, but too many people complained that it was too strong and sent the dish back for something their palates could handle better. So, a dish that was "inspired by" to begin with got even more watered down because passengers demanded it.

In other words, be glad the menu at Tiana's Place even manages to be "inspired by" Cajun cuisine, because if they actually tried putting authentic gumbo on the menu, it would soon be replaced by something even blander than what's there now.
My thoughts exactly. Most people don't really want or can't "handle" authentic foods that they aren't used to. "Inspired by" is as close as it comes for many. Unfortunately for those that want and can "handle" authentic Cajun, Jerk, etc., a cruise is not the place to look for those. The food is still good, but "inspired".

Yeah I also wished it was more authentic and flavorful.. sic. And most of all I would like that they find a solution to have HOT food, on the last EBTA it was awful, it was, for us, most of the time, served cold or lukewarm, and everywhere (MDR for all 3 meals and Cabana's for breakfast and lunch).... We ended going 3 times to Palo for dinner because of these 2 reasons, and one time at Cabanas for dinner where it was way better than in the MDR.

I have grown up in the Philadelphia suburbs and no one outside the that area gets Philly Cheesesteaks right, I think it just is a matter of either accepting what they offer or getting something else.

I will tell you unequivocally that serving ONLY cajun food would deter me heavily. Period.

While I can totally appreciate where your heart is with this post, it's important to understand that delving very far down into "authentic" items pushes far more people away than it attracts. They need to have things geared toward the masses.

Now, with that said, I do love being able to try new things for food on a cruise. So, having something available to me at dinner as something to TRY would be great.

This. A couple items that are more authentic, sure. But many don't care for spicy food and you still need a vegetarian/vegan dish, as well as GF. Not to mention that on a 7-night cruise, they serve their specific dining room menu exactly 3 times. The other 4 nights the menu is the same across all the main dining rooms, which is one reason we go to Palo on Pirate Night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter