Still confused about rider swap

Lease257

Earning My Ears
No matter how many times I hear rider swap explained, I’m still confused.

We will be at Disney next week. The two of us adults, and a 7,4,2 year old. I know there’s many rides that 2year old can’t do. So...what happens? Dad goes with one and I wait to go with the other? Or dad goes with both then I get to go with both?

And is it easy to send dad on a ride with two kids if the seats are two across? Just trying to anticipate all the issues...

For rides that are two across, an adult needs to sit with the 4 year old, but the 7 year old would sit alone (or with a stranger). They'd seat the 7 year old in the row directly in front of you, so they'd still be close, just not in the same row.

Up to 3 people can get a rider swap pass, so you and both kids who are tall enough could ride the second time after dad takes both kids the first time. Just go up to the CM near the entrance for the line and tell them you'd like to do rider swap. They will need to see (and might measure) the too short child, then will need to add the rider swap passes to the magic bands of those people riding second. Then the first group rides (meanwhile you and the 2 year old can do whatever you wish outside the line- go on a different ride, grab a snack, etc), and when they return, you take the two kids through the FP line and the rider swap passes that have been added act as your FP to allow you in that line.

No matter how many times I hear rider swap explained, I’m still confused.

We will be at Disney next week. The two of us adults, and a 7,4,2 year old. I know there’s many rides that 2year old can’t do. So...what happens? Dad goes with one and I wait to go with the other? Or dad goes with both then I get to go with both?

And is it easy to send dad on a ride with two kids if the seats are two across? Just trying to anticipate all the issues...

We were there 2 weeks ago. I will give example from our personal experience. I only ever did rider swap for rides we had FP, for so I don't have experience using it in the Standby line, but assume it's the same deal.

- We have 3 kids, ages 8, 7, and 5.

- Had 5 fastpasses for Flight of Passage (44" - 5 year old is 42.5"). From what I hear, you may only need FPs for the first set of riders, but for my own personal peace of mind (and ease of changing stuff around) I had FP for all 5 people even though I already knew my 5 year old was too short.

- There is an attendant standing off to the side of the FP line. We went to them, with the entire party present INCLUDING the person who can't ride (the 5 year old) and said, "Hi there, we need a rider swap because our youngest can't ride". They would then ask "Who's riding first?" I'd say my husband, 7 year old, and 8 year old. Then the attendant scanned each of their bands (or pass, whatever you have). Then asked who was riding second, and I said me, the 7, and 8 year old. The rider swap pass is digital -- it shows up in your MDE account.

- Husband, 7 and 8 year old proceeded through FP line while I wandered around with my 5 year old.

- When they were done, my husband took the 5 year old, and I took the 7 and 8 year old back through the FP line with me for my turn on the ride. So in effect, both kids rode the ride twice in a row.

- However, kids under 7 needs to ride with an adult. My older two kids are 7 and 8, so they were able to ride together on 2-by-2 rides (we were asked at every load point for every ride as my kids are small and look younger). In your case, dad will have to ride with the 4 year old, and the 7 year old could be by themselves, but I guess your mileage may vary based on how your 7 year old feels about that. If they don't feel comfortable, then have the 4 year old go with a parent for 1 ride, and the 7 year old with the other parent for their ride. So in that scenario, each kid only rides the ride 1 time as opposed to repeating it.

I hope this made some kind of sense. I'm sure someone else can elaborate on some points better.

For rides that are two across, an adult needs to sit with the 4 year old, but the 7 year old would sit alone (or with a stranger). They'd seat the 7 year old in the row directly in front of you, so they'd still be close, just not in the same row.

Up to 3 people can get a rider swap pass, so you and both kids who are tall enough could ride the second time after dad takes both kids the first time. Just go up to the CM near the entrance for the line and tell them you'd like to do rider swap. They will need to see (and might measure) the too short child, then will need to add the rider swap passes to the magic bands of those people riding second. Then the first group rides (meanwhile you and the 2 year old can do whatever you wish outside the line- go on a different ride, grab a snack, etc), and when they return, you take the two kids through the FP line and the rider swap passes that have been added act as your FP to allow you in that line.

^^ This. Explained it more eloquently and less word vomit than me, lol.

You realize there really aren't THAT many attractions with height requirements so actually the 2 year old can go on most attractions.

There are SOME attractions that the 4 year old may not be tall enough for and even some that the 7 year old might not be tall enough for. The one that comes to mind is RNRC as I believe its 48 inches.

You could do either option as long as the kids are both tall enough.
Nice thing about both older kids going both time is they get double the rides and are not bored sitting there waiting while you are already trying to entertain the 2 year old.
Get everyone a FP and also get rider swap so then you don't have to wait in the standby line at all.

You realize there really aren't THAT many attractions with height requirements so actually the 2 year old can go on most attractions.

There are SOME attractions that the 4 year old may not be tall enough for and even some that the 7 year old might not be tall enough for. The one that comes to mind is RNRC as I believe its 48 inches.

You could do either option as long as the kids are both tall enough.
Nice thing about both older kids going both time is they get double the rides and are not bored sitting there waiting while you are already trying to entertain the 2 year old.
Get everyone a FP and also get rider swap so then you don't have to wait in the standby line at all.

I think the rides I was thinking of were SDD, 7DMT, BTMR...

Thank you for the explanations!! They were incredibly helpful. And yes for FP rides we all have FPs... I didn't want to take a chance...

FYI - 3 can fit together for Splash Mountain if its in your plans. Kids would get to ride twice then on that one. Also true for Test Track in Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter