• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Still Deciding

palmerjl

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are thinking about joining DVC after a trip with our 4 year old in May to the Yacht Club. Since we liked that location very much, we would like to find something at the BWV via resale. There do not seem to be many available. We'd consider the others as well, but don't know as much about them. Could some of you let me know what went into your decision when selecting your home resort? Also wondering why there are so many OKW spots available. We would like to buy within the next few months before any DVC price hikes happen, which quite likely might affect the resale market as well. Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to the DIS from a fellow Minneapolitan! We bought into the BWV last year shortly before it sold out. We were going to wait for the VWL and buy there, but when we found out the cost per point was going up (and we determined that we could apply part of the money we were going to be using for a hotel stay last year to our DVC purchase instead), we chose to buy in at BWV. We really like the location of BWV and the theming of VWL; maybe someday we'll add-on points at VWL. We've also stayed at OKW, and it's a nice resort, but we prefer BWV or VWL to it. The most important thing is to buy where you want to stay the most since you can book 11 months in advance at your home resort and only 7 months in advance at the other DVC resorts. I think the reason there are more resales at OKW is that it is the biggest resort so there are more owners there, and it is the oldest resort so some of those owners may feel that they've gotten more than their money's worth out of it by now, and with the prices where they are, can resell their contract for a significant profit over what they originally paid. There have been 4 price hikes in the past year, with another one (at least) likely by the time the new Beach Club Villas open next year. If you have more questions, fire away...you've found a great resource here!

There are a few considerations to choosing a home resort, first and foremost buy where you'll want to stay the most...the 11 month window can be very important depending on the season. A second, lesser consideration is dues/maintenance fees, they vary from resort to resort. Buckylarue is correct, I think there are more resales available at OKW because it is the oldest DVC resort, and the original buyers lifestyles may be changing...deaths, kids off to college, etc, and we older owners CAN sell at a profit (how many other timeshares can say that?). When we purchased in 1992 it was our only option...I still love OKW, and don't intend to sell, but everyone has different circumstances.

Best of luck with your decision, and many happy WDW vacations.

You've gotten some good advice from Bucky and Chuck, so I won't repeat their comments, but throw in my 2 cents worth.

We own at both OKW and BWV. The BWV buy was an impulse adventure as I had the cash and, as you have noted, BWV's don't show up often on the resale boards and move quickly when they do.

The 11 month window definitely plays to your advantage, but, depending upon your travel flexibility and when you go, 7 months isn't bad. We generally do WDW in October or February, and haven't had any problem working within the 7 month window. Again - season and flexibility.

I understand from this board that you can give your preference to an agent at one of the timeshare brokers and they will call you if it comes up - some listings (like BWV properties) never hit the boards as they get snatched up pretty quick.

Good Luck!

Hi -

We just bought 175 points at VWL (close on July 24) and this is the reason why.....

We went to the WL last year for the first time and FELL IN LOVE with the place. We love the quiet, the boat to MK ( with two little ones a definate plus!!) and the general feel of the place. I like the BW area, but for me it's too hussle bussle. When I go back to my room, I want peace and quiet so I can relax. Now, when BCV becomes available we do plan on buying an add on there, since you get the proximity to BW, but the peace and quiet we're looking for. As everyone has said, it's all about personal taste and DEFINATELY buy where you want to stay most. If you're trying to go during a very busy time, you're most likely going to be at your home resort and you better want to stay there!!!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p Good Luck!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

When we chose our home resort we could choose between OKW and BWV (through Disney). I asked questions here and set up a chart of plusses and minuses. We decided that location was the biggest deciding factor (hate to drive while in WDW as we drive down) as well as wanting the more hotel like environment of BWV. And we added on at VWL based almost completely upon theming. OKW is a lovely resort, but we will probably only stay there if we specifically need the extra room.

OKW resales seem to be more readily available because its been around so much longer...more folks who feel they've got their use out of DVC and want to sell at a profit. At least I think that's why.

We bought a resale at OKW in Nov 1999, and closed in early Dec just in time to get a 2 BR for us and our DD and her family. (DSil and 3 DGS). (4 adults and 3 children)

Since I had always, for years, stayed in the monorail resorts, I had misgivings about buying so "far" from the parks. But I can truthfully say that we have not had much trouble with waiting for the buses.

I am glad that OKW is our home resort. We have also stayed at the BWV once and have reservations for this coming Nov. We had no trouble getting reservations at BWV, even after the 7 month window.

June:pinkbounc

As someone as said, if you really have your heart set on BWV, contact one of the resale brokers. Many BWV listings never make the list because they go so fast. It is important to buy where you want to stay. We bought BWV last July and had a wonderful stay last month. DH was a little apprehensive as we had stayed at the Poly in 2000 and he liked the monorail resorts, but he has come around since Epcot/MGM are his faves and we walked there several times during our trip! We also are closing next week on a VWL addon. Remember, if you don't get what you want resale you could wait until BCV opens up, although that will probably come with another price hike.
Robin M.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with all the DVC resorts before you buy. VWL will be closest to the MK, so with a small one, that may be where you will like to spend a lot of time in the near future. Later, that may not be a concern. BWV and VWL are hotel type atmospheres, while OKW is more of a vacation home/townhouse atmosphere. We prefer the vacation home setting, so we own at OKW. We have never found the buses to be a problem. Especially now that we own DVC, because we find we travel to WDW more often and stay longer, so we don't have to be "park commandos" to see it all in a few days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter