Still trying to accept that I have to have a ECV...

Sorry - I didn't read all the posts, but here's my trick when I use an ECV. I bring my folding cane and keep it in the basket. Then when I get out to go on a ride/attraction, I snap that cane open and use it to walk through the line, etc. Plus I am usually really stiff from sitting so the cane is very useful.

It does avoid any of those annoying stares. I don't care what others' think, but I realized the cane was a pr "crutch" for those judgemental idiots.

I have RA and understand how you feel.

I started reading this post and then realized that it had been going since 2006. Wow!:thumbsup2.

Thank you so much for this thread! I know it's from 2006 but I really needed this tonight. We aren't headed to Disney right now but we are going to Busch Garden's this weekend for my sons birthday. I was injured in a car accident and have a lot of pain and numbness on my right side. I can't walk much without pain. DH wants me to try an ECV this weekend. This thread has made me feel a little better about my unseen need for it. :thumbsup2

I agree, this thread has been wonderful, with great info. I just had a total knee replacement on my right knee and will have to have my left knee done, probably next year. I also have scoliosis, which causes a lot of back pain when I do too much walking. I always just tried to tough it out, and ended up not having the most magical vacation experience. Last year I was hurting so bad I rented an ecv at Epcot, and it was the most wonderful day I ever had there. I did notice a few people staring, but the difference in making my day enjoyable was so great that I just ignored them. For my trip next June I will definitely be renting an ecv for the week!

Terri

This will be our 4th trip since 2007 and I have used an ECV every trip (DM has a personal electric w/c that she uses). I had foot surgery in 2007 that left me with nerve damage, so opted not to have the other foot operated on. I have multiple problems with my feet, however, I can walk fine, but endurance is my issue, after a few hours on my feet I am in severe pain. We are kind of strapped for cash this trip... hoping we don't run short on gas money. I considered cancelling my ECV rental and just dealing with it.... but DM won't hear of it... she says that I won't be able to enjoy the trip in pain. So right now hoping gas prices drop or at least stay at the same level... also hoping that my bonus check from work is large enough to cover the deficit!!!!

I also have scoliosis, which causes a lot of back pain when I do too much walking. I always just tried to tough it out, and ended up not having the most magical vacation experience. Last year I was hurting so bad I rented an ecv at Epcot, and it was the most wonderful day I ever had there. Terri

Terri, I just had to give you a shoutout and a :hug: from another Terri with scoliosis who uses an ECV at WDW! It really is a small world!

Terri

Terri, I just had to give you a shoutout and a :hug: from another Terri with scoliosis who uses an ECV at WDW! It really is a small world!

Terri

It is indeed a small world! I'm looking forward to my next trip more than any I've taken because I know I'll be so much more comfortable, not to mention I won't have to take a day away from the parks to rest up my back!

Terri

Many thanks for all the previous posters, it has totally put my mind at rest. I have scoliosis and several disc problems that affect my spinal cord. This has been slowly getting worse over the last 2 years. After a visit to a fair at the weekend that I could only manage a couple of hours slow walking, last year at the same event I was walking round all day, made me realise that for our upcoming trip in January and ECV would be needed, I use crutches anyway.
My sister who has CFS will also be with us and we are going to hire her one as well.
I want to be able to enjoy this trip as it is also our wedding and honeymoon, my df has told me several times to use one, but in my mind I was too young (40) and not that bad!!

Many thanks for all the previous posters, it has totally put my mind at rest. I have scoliosis and several disc problems that affect my spinal cord. This has been slowly getting worse over the last 2 years. After a visit to a fair at the weekend that I could only manage a couple of hours slow walking, last year at the same event I was walking round all day, made me realise that for our upcoming trip in January and ECV would be needed, I use crutches anyway.
My sister who has CFS will also be with us and we are going to hire her one as well.
I want to be able to enjoy this trip as it is also our wedding and honeymoon, my df has told me several times to use one, but in my mind I was too young (40) and not that bad!!

I have CMT which causes muscle weakness in the arms & legs that gradually worsens. My whole life I didn't enjoy life as much as I could have because I refused to accept that I needed to use something to help me get around better. When I was younger, just a cane or walking stick would have been a great help when all I needed was something to help with balance. But I was like you & felt I was too young to use a cane, so instead I limited myself. Now I'm 50 & have to use a walker & an ECV for long distances. It is hard when you feel too young to be using these things. When we go out, my husband will point it out to me if he sees someone else using a walker. He thinks it will make me feel better that I'm not the only one...it doesn't, when I can see that the person is probably in their 80's.

Don't be like me & miss out on enjoying anything life has to offer by thinking you're too young or not in bad enough condition to use whatever help you need. I waited until I had to be holding my husbands arm anytime I walked & had to constantly watch the ground to avoid tripping over the tiniest bump. The 1st time I went to WDW with my ECV it was the 1st time I was able to enjoy the beauty of the landscaping. I could just drive my scooter & look at everything...& go where I wanted to go when I wanted instead of asking my husband for help.

Enjoy your trip, your wedding & honeymoon & the rest of your life!

Hi,

A week ago I had unplanned surgery and we have a trip that was planned a while back for Memorial Day weekend. I am able to go on the trip however with the help of my lovely family and Dr. I have come to accept that I will benefit from assistance getting around. I also realize that I will not be able to go on all my usual rides. At least I can soak up the atmosphere and go on the more gentle rides :hyper:

I am trying to decide if I should get an ECV or wheelchair. I have to say I don't have much experience with ECV's. I am a little aprehensive of them, I find them a little jerky and the fact they don't have brakes worries me:confused3 I am worried I will mow down a child who runs in front of me.

I will have my hubby and two grown stepsons who are willing to push me around in a wheelchair, not that this sounds much fun for them. The advantage is if I feel like a little walking it would be much easier to have the wheelchair. The wheelchair can also be stored in our room at Pop. One other consideration is that I would need to wait while the family goes on some of the rides. The ECV would give me a little more independence especially when the family is on a ride I won't be able to go on. As this condition is a temporary situation if I do feel like walking a little what would I do with the ECV?

Either way I would rent from an off-site company.

If I could get some input, thoughts, pro's and con's from others who have more experience. Thanks in advance :lovestruc

My first suggestion would be to try an ECV before you leave. Most grocery stores and big box stores have them and you can try before you leave to see if it will work for you.

While they don't have a brake, they do stop when you stop the power, so its not like you will be going out of control! You do have to be very careful about people walking in front of you, but you also need to be careful in a wheelchair because people tend not to pay attention when you are in a chair.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

The up side is that if you start out with one option and it doesn't seem to be working out, you can call the company and they'll have the other option delivered to your resort very quickly.

Totally agree; try an ECV at home first before making a choice not based on actual knowledge of how you can or can't handle it.

As far as no breaks; it's not like you are driving a car at 60 m/h. ;) Some normal logical sense gets you a long way. First of all you can use different speed options. The slowest will only let you "accelerate" from standing still to walking very very slow speed. The fastest will let you accelerate from nothing to the max. of a hand full of miles an ECV can do. So in crowded areas, you simply don't put the ECV in the fastest option, but for instance if having 5 options at 3 or 2. Next is practice. It's pretty easy to understand how an ECV behaves and how much distance you need before letting go of your throttle will result in standing still. Keep that distance plus some what extra as the norm. Some folks are arrogant or unknowing (very distinct difference between the 2 groups, but results are the same) and will jump right in front of you. It will take some extra energy as you are not used to it, but being aware of this and being on the look out really is the best medicine against this combined with that keeping distance, not travelling at topspeed etc. More you simply can not do.

If you can use it safely around Walmart you will have a good idea of how safe it might be to use at WDW. Practice esp. at getting around in a small space, making a small turn, backing up etc. Those things can use practice and even just knowing that you have done it succesfully before can make the difference in a crowded WDW. Heck, take a few friends along and when it goes well; ask them to surprise "jump out" on you. For instance right at a corner or whatever. OK, they'll be bigger than a kid but also old enough to safe themselves if you were to get flustered. Again; practice is a huge help as is knowledge that you can deal with surprise popping ups.

But most of all; do not think for others. Whether that is what other guests might think of you using an ECV or whether it not being fun for grandsons to push a wheelchair. Not only is it easy to think stuff that is not the reality, it can easily make you go for an option out of wanting to please someone else instead of looking at your own needs. If you are worried about things within your group; be honest and talk it over. Most of the times it will be worries not worth it. Getting it out in the open gives all a chance to go for the best option for all involved and nobody having a hidden sentiment about how the other might miss out or whatever because of them.

My first suggestion would be to try an ECV before you leave. Most grocery stores and big box stores have them and you can try before you leave to see if it will work for you.

While they don't have a brake, they do stop when you stop the power, so its not like you will be going out of control! You do have to be very careful about people walking in front of you, but you also need to be careful in a wheelchair because people tend not to pay attention when you are in a chair.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Thank you powellrj - I will take your advice and head to Target and the grocery store this weekend and start my practicing. Knowing that they stop as soon as the power lever is released is useful.

The up side is that if you start out with one option and it doesn't seem to be working out, you can call the company and they'll have the other option delivered to your resort very quickly.

ttintagel - Thanks I did not know that :)

Totally agree; try an ECV at home first before making a choice not based on actual knowledge of how you can or can't handle it.

As far as no breaks; it's not like you are driving a car at 60 m/h. ;) Some normal logical sense gets you a long way. First of all you can use different speed options. The slowest will only let you "accelerate" from standing still to walking very very slow speed. The fastest will let you accelerate from nothing to the max. of a hand full of miles an ECV can do. So in crowded areas, you simply don't put the ECV in the fastest option, but for instance if having 5 options at 3 or 2. Next is practice. It's pretty easy to understand how an ECV behaves and how much distance you need before letting go of your throttle will result in standing still. Keep that distance plus some what extra as the norm. Some folks are arrogant or unknowing (very distinct difference between the 2 groups, but results are the same) and will jump right in front of you. It will take some extra energy as you are not used to it, but being aware of this and being on the look out really is the best medicine against this combined with that keeping distance, not travelling at topspeed etc. More you simply can not do.

If you can use it safely around Walmart you will have a good idea of how safe it might be to use at WDW. Practice esp. at getting around in a small space, making a small turn, backing up etc. Those things can use practice and even just knowing that you have done it succesfully before can make the difference in a crowded WDW. Heck, take a few friends along and when it goes well; ask them to surprise "jump out" on you. For instance right at a corner or whatever. OK, they'll be bigger than a kid but also old enough to safe themselves if you were to get flustered. Again; practice is a huge help as is knowledge that you can deal with surprise popping ups.

But most of all; do not think for others. Whether that is what other guests might think of you using an ECV or whether it not being fun for grandsons to push a wheelchair. Not only is it easy to think stuff that is not the reality, it can easily make you go for an option out of wanting to please someone else instead of looking at your own needs. If you are worried about things within your group; be honest and talk it over. Most of the times it will be worries not worth it. Getting it out in the open gives all a chance to go for the best option for all involved and nobody having a hidden sentiment about how the other might miss out or whatever because of them.

goofieslonglostsis - this is super advice, especially the limits on the speed. I think I would prefer the independence of an ECV. You had me laughing at taking a few friends along to play ninja's and I will progress to that to see how I cope. Our Walmart is always very busy on the weekends so I will work up to that store to see how I do.

Thank you all - the Dis really does rock!

I just found this link from Sue's FAQs and it makes me much better to know others have wrestled with the complex emotions regarding the decision to rent an ECV at WDW.

I've had spinal fusion, and despite my best efforts have ended up with chronic pain in my back and knee. Sometimes I'm look fine, but even on the best of days if I walk or stand more than 15-20 minutes at a time, the pain level starts up the scale. :sad2:

It's the first time I've been able to go to WDW in 10 years, and I've missed it, but was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much since I couldn't walk/stand for long. It was my travel agent that convinced me to rent an ECV. :flower3:

I need it, it will make my stay significantly more enjoyable, but I was still apprehensive. For most of the reasons listed here earlier. Others need it more/I look healthy/people will look at me thinking I don't need it/ etc., etc. To see others on this list respond the same way, voice the same concerns, and see the huge amount of support on this list was reassuring.

So Thank You. Thank You for your support and your suggestions. I am now looking forward to my trip in December with the ECV, and knowing I'm going to have a blast. :yay:

I still get that niggly feeling in my tummy that I have to use a ECV to get around. I know I need to accept the fact but it's hard.

In my every day life I don't use a wheel chair because I can limit the amount of walking I do and if I'm having a bad day I can take it easy. I have Rheumatoid Arthritus and even though I can walk for a good couple of hours there is no way I could walk for an entire day around Disney.

Plus when you are at Disney and you park the ECV and walk to a regular seat or get up to stretch your legs you get those looks or comments from other people that don't see you as having a disability.
I can relate to this, I am suppose to go in January and I am worried because I have a pretty painful heel spur on my left foot and a torn miniscus on my right knee for which I have to have surgery. The heel hurts worse than the knee. Not sure how I will manage the walking if it doesn't improve by then. I have been doing everything the foot doc told me to do and it doesn't seem to be improving.. :(

I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread. It really has helped someone like me who will be using chair for the first time this year and is incredibly ashamed and scared. I think despite it halving been started a number of years ago, the words within are worthy and yep, it's in the FAQ sticky, but there's so much there, it can be easy to overlook. THANKS for the existence of this thread!

Yes, it makes no sense to be ashamed, but I'm good at that and learning not to do it to myself. I also an hyperaware of what others say and what people look like they re thinking about me. Thanks to fellow DISers recently, I decided to do it to preserve some enjoyment for me and my family. They have all assured me that they will be my knights in shining armor and shield me form the meanies. :grouphug:

I nearly ruined a whole trip in 2003 because I didn't want to get an ECV the first day. I've never made that mistake again! Even using one I still have problems with swelling and pain throughout the day.

I use ECVs in stores and other places which have them. Now, I'm considering buying my own because my mobility has become worse due to Fibromyalgia and Arthritis.

Don't feel bad when you need to use one. The people who are giving you dirty looks aren't important. You will never see them again.

Hi I'm going to Epcot for a day in little over a week. I'm renting a off site ECV and using it I nave Neuropathy and Fibro. So I'm only able to walk short distances and I know I'm way safer driving a ECV than trying to walk even with a cane as falls can happen so easly. I rented my first ECV in Salt Lake City this Sept and it saved me. I would have never been less stressed and in a lot of pain if I did not get the rental. So a few tips about driving them I thought I would share. They are very easy to drive and yes start off on the lowest setting to start. By the next day I was able to throttle to the highest speeds on long stretches but even if you have it on high you can slow down by not pressing on the throttle so hard. In a crowded space set it low and for the rest of time set it to medium then you can throttle back if needed. Unless you are in a hurry and have a long flat stretch or are going up hill or a long ramp then set it to high. But please watch out for any bump in the road or surface you are on. A crack in a sidewalk if going fast could really throw you off. You cannot go up or down curbs and cobblestone is unnerving. I got so many compliments on my steering I was able to reach far forward and press elevator buttons, electric door buttons, and open doors my self and drive through them. But people were very nice and helped with doors as well. Once you press a elevator or door button you need to back away and I usually line my self up straight to enter though the door and this help alot when elevator doors would open at your floor as it was easy to back right out. It takes some time to do really tight turns but it's possible just like parallel parking you just need to turn your wheels the opposite way and back up a tad then turn again the way you need to head and do on till you can make the turn. I learned the hard way that in the city thay had wheelchair access able light rail trains but the ramp up to the platform is very narrow and has a very tight turn and the same for some other wheelchair ramps which are designed for a wheelchair and not a long ECV. As far as worrying about hitting people it could possibly happen if you or they are not aware but the best thing in a crowd is to move slow and just say excuse me as much as possible. Don't use the horn it's not really polite unless in a emergency. Just follow behind slowly and lots of excuse me's and thank yous. Just be polite and most will be polite back to you.
One more safety warning is make sure your key is turned off and taken out and around your wrist before you get off because I forgot to turn mine off once just had got up to take a quick photo and when I went to get back on I had accidentally grabbed the throttle and the ECV started moving, I was able to jump out of the way and let go in the process but I could have ran over my foot and really injured me. Now I always take the key out and put it on my wrist before getting off

Epcot - November 15 2015

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter