strange message on my SW account

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
this message was on my phone--I cant find it anywhere on my SW account on the desktop

it says I can cancel or change my trip to orlando in Jan due to circumtances beyond their control

they list weather etc

we have no intentions of changing our trip--not sure how or why this came up now--I knew those planes still arent flying but we just went to vegas and back with no problems except for being half hr late each way

this Jan though we made it out just in time we left the after a blizzard and 25 below temps

anyone have any ideas on this

If your trip is between Jan 6 and Feb 8 it is probably due to the 737-Max. They removed them from their schedule for those dates on Thursday and anyone whose flight is affected by the new schedule can cancel or change for free. Even if you flight was not affected, for the next day or two you should be able to move your flight +/- 14 days to any flight you'd like...no matter how much more expensive it is. You would just have to go to the "change" button on your reservation and go through the normal process. IF the fare waiver is still in place when looking at new flights they should all show as "AVAILABLE" with no additional monies collected. If you are happy with your flight then there is nothing to do. But you might want to just double check that your flights are the same times just to be safe.

Last edited:
Agree. It's part of the Max 8 issue. I would double check your itinerary and see if you want to omake any changes at no cost.

My friend was able to change her late evening flight to previous morning for free when this message popped up. I had the morning for $360, she paid $180 for the late evening flight. So she’s now on the same flight as me. Not sure why they offered it, her late evening flight is still on the schedule.

thanks for the replies--I figured it had something to do with the planes

anyways Im wondering if I can use this somehow to my advantage coming home--I havent booked the return flight yet as they are 244 PP for a 4pm NS flight

so if I book this now just to have a way home and the price goes down does this mean I could change it to the cheaper price with no charge--

that would be great --thanks

My friend was able to change her late evening flight to previous morning for free when this message popped up. I had the morning for $360, she paid $180 for the late evening flight. So she’s now on the same flight as me. Not sure why they offered it, her late evening flight is still on the schedule.
You know, if you paid $360 you can cancel it today and then rebook the late flight like your friend did. Then once ticketed move to the original flight. Or you can book the cheapest flight within 14 days and then change the reservation and book the flight u want.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies--I figured it had something to do with the planes

anyways Im wondering if I can use this somehow to my advantage coming home--I havent booked the return flight yet as they are 244 PP for a 4pm NS flight

so if I book this now just to have a way home and the price goes down does this mean I could change it to the cheaper price with no charge--

that would be great --thanks
You can currently book ANY flight within the Jan 6 to Feb 8 and then move it up to 14 days. For example, let's say the perfect nonstop flight you want is on Jan 20 and is $400. But if u use the low fare calendar u notice a one-stop flight on Jan 15 for $49. You can book the $49 flight on Jan 15 then immediately, once ticketed, go in and change to your desired Jan 20th flight.

I expect this travel waiver to only last a day or two more. And worst case they pull it while you are booking...you get 24 hours to cancel.

I got this notice a while back for our December flights and did just what the previous poster suggested. I booked a very cheap flight, not my ideal time, then before the time expired to change my flights, changed them to new desired time and dates at the cheap fare! I wasn’t sure it would work out that way and was willing to pay the higher fare, but sure enough, I got the lower fare. It was all done on points, so the points were returned to my account. I also got perfect times.

Just got this message for one my February trips! Going with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter for a cheer competition and originally leaving at 8am! Was able to change it to 2:05 pm at no charge! So happy I won’t have to meet the ME at 5 am!

Thanks for all the helpful replies. So if im
filling this right. The cheapest fare is a 6am non stop for 132 PP. our ideal time is 4pm. Non stop which is 244PP. So I book the 6am. The change it to the 4pm with no increase in fate. Do I have this right. This would be great. Do I do the change on line or do I have to call. Gee I sure hope this works.

One other question I haven’t booked our flight home it so if I book it now can I still change it

Thanks for all the helpful replies. So if im
filling this right. The cheapest fare is a 6am non stop for 132 PP. our ideal time is 4pm. Non stop which is 244PP. So I book the 6am. The change it to the 4pm with no increase in fate. Do I have this right. This would be great. Do I do the change on line or do I have to call. Gee I sure hope this works.
You can book it on line. You can book your flight home, but remember to change it within the time period they give you to make the change.

I think they killed this "waiver". It usually only last a few days. I checked online and my reservations during that time are not available to change.

Ugh, I'm so sad!! I've been stalking the SW site every day for a lower fare because I want to switch to an earlier flight. My flight is in that window but as previous poster said, it's no longer available to change at no charge. I wish I attempted to change instead of just searching for the fares this weekend! Oh well...

Ugh, I'm so sad!! I've been stalking the SW site every day for a lower fare because I want to switch to an earlier flight. My flight is in that window but as previous poster said, it's no longer available to change at no charge. I wish I attempted to change instead of just searching for the fares this weekend! Oh well...

If your flight was affected, even a little, you can still call and you may be able to still move your flight. I would just reference the 737-max schedule change and see if they will work with you.

If your dates are closer to the end of that range you still might be in luck if/when they remove the Max from the next batch of dates. Feb 9th to ???? There's no timeline for when that will happen, but if it does you still might get another shot.

I just noticed thst the message is gone now on my phone oh well I was a little skeptical trying this. Im always worried something will get messed up. But I will try calling and seeing what they will do

If your flight was affected, even a little, you can still call and you may be able to still move your flight. I would just reference the 737-max schedule change and see if they will work with you.

If your dates are closer to the end of that range you still might be in luck if/when they remove the Max from the next batch of dates. Feb 9th to ???? There's no timeline for when that will happen, but if it does you still might get another shot.
We're right in the middle of the date range, and we have direct flights that didn't change time at all. So there's no reason for us to need to switch. I would just really *prefer* a morning or early afternoon flight instead of evening as we only have 2 nights in Disney and would love that extra half day to relax at the resort. I just don't want to pay an extra $50 per ticket as I have to pay for 9 tickets. So a free switch would have been quite magical! But not necessary. Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter