• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

strangers in a strange land - day two part one

tinker-kyle

Mouseketeer
tuesday feb 15th ....
still on new york time ... we wake at 6am and are wide awake

in the middle of the nite ... i had walked into the closed mirrored bathroom door and scared the bejezzus out of myself (thought my reflection was someone walking out) screamed out loud! but thankfully we all feel back to sleep

so its 6am ... and parks dont open to 10am
we finally remember to check out the wallpaper and hurray! it does GLOW
we open the curtains to ... double hurray! no rain
we watch TV for a while and listen once again to forecast of gloom and doom
rain arriving today and torrential rain wed and thur

hubby and kid decide to go for a swim ... cove pool opens at 7am
so off they go .... not me
pool is quite heated and they both have a great time
after making three calls to laundry ... we finally find a lifeguard to open towel station ... by 8am there was a dozen wet kids and dad (notice no moms) waiting for towels so they could get out of the pool. a good tip ... bring dry clothes down to the pool ... you can rinse at an outside shower and change in the changing room ... this saved them from being cold and drippy in the lobby.

after dropping off wet stuff and packing up for the day ... we grab an awful bagel at the coffeehouse and head to CA ... we entered thru GCH this enterance is for all DL hotels guest not just GCH. its about 10 minutes to 10 when we arrive at soarin and we ride right away ... this is a fantastic ride
every good thing you ever heard or read is true ... its exciting but mellow at the same time ... just really fun.

we take our time poking around the decorated mickeys and head over to the pier area ... ride the golden zephyr which is just a big dumbo but has a real pretty view. jumpin jelly fish is next. the whole park is empty. hubby rides CA (while we hit king tritons carousel) screamin' he's glad he did it ... but has no intention of doing it again :scared:
another tip ... the way the photo booth for screamin is set up you can actually take a photo of your photo ... came out perfect with my digital ... we really didnt want to buy photo of three strangers (yeah i know this is sorta cheap ... but thought i'd pass the idea along)

we head over to fliks fun fair and play on the kiddie rides ... i like the chewchew train the best ... the smells make it cool. we had fun on bumper cars too. rode in the chinese food container on fliks flyers ... this area is very cute and well doen i especially love the firefly lights (those disney people are so clever areant they?) we decide to save its tough to be a bug for later when its raining ... remember the forecast?

we grab a quick lunch at taste pilots ... hubby and i split a cheddar burger, fries, and onion rings... kid gets kids meal (in a comic box) with chix nuggets and fries (nuggets are the best quality, but she likes them) we drink frozen water and lunch is less than $20

because its not raining (and doesnt look close) we head to DL. really hoping to get to tom sawyers island. happily DL is empty. as we walkintothe park the double decked bus pulls up ... and we ride it to the castle. i loved this bus. we sat up top and it turned out to be a lovely view and the sun was shining (where's the rain?)

we run over to indiana jones and therea no wait ... halfway thru queue area .. kid puts on the brakes no indy for her ... okay fine we'll swap you ... i tell cm we going to swap her and he says "shes old enough to wait for both of you" so he puts her "on the box" next to cm station and off we go (now this is the part where we cant decide if we're bad parents or not ... would you have left your 7 1/2 year old on the box? ride is great, but seems long coz we're a little anxious about kid ... but she's totally fine and waving at us when we pull back into the station ... whew!)

indy is relatively the same ride as dinosaur at AK ... just with different theming both are great rides ... but i think dinosaur might be a bit better ... it has more humor than indy.

after indy ... we explore tarzan's treehouse which totally blows away swiss family tree house at WDW.
theres no line for jungle cruise so we hop right on a boat for that .... jungle cruise is jungle cruise ... same as at wdw
goodness those guides are manic (that is one job i could not do day in and day out) ...

we take a break for :mickeybar and hubby rides haunted mansion
kid is having a chicken week - wants nothing spooky
hubby decides haunted mansion is exactally the same as wdw ... i decide to skip it

we take a raft to ts island ... this is the only line in the place
dont fit on the first raft so we wait for the second ... theres only one raft running. ts island is great ... very well manicured and lots of tunnels and bridges... barrel bridge at wdw hasnt been opened in several years ... there are several new structures at DL including a treehouse and tom and hucks hideout ... but fort wilderness itself is closed. we talk with a cm and he tells us that the fort has been closed for more than 2 years due to extensive rot ... its the original fort and made out of wood (wdw is disney cement wood) apparently the DL fort is falling down and the powers that be have not yet decided what to do with it ... guide tell us to sign petition at city hall (so mad - we forgot! :guilty: all in all DL TS island is better than wdw TS island... but hope they fix up the DL fort soon - cant believe they're not doing it for the 50th it was one of the original attractions

after TS island ... we walk over to tommorrow land and take the monorail back to DLH ... we dragging and need a rest ...

One thing I love about the Disney Resort area in CA is how close everything is. When you are tired you could get back to your room in a short period of time for a break/nap/swim, etc. I love that!!!

Thanks for sharing! :wave2:

tinker-kyle said:
okay fine we'll swap you ... i tell cm we going to swap her and he says "shes old enough to wait for both of you" so he puts her "on the box" next to cm station and off we go (now this is the part where we cant decide if we're bad parents or not ... would you have left your 7 1/2 year old on the box? ride is great, but seems long coz we're a little anxious about kid ... but she's totally fine and waving at us when we pull back into the station ... whew!)

I would not think you were bad parents. She is old enough to sit there and behave with CMs all around if she felt like she needed some help. Probably made her feel a bit good to know you think she is responsible enough to wait for you guys and not do the "baby" swap on her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter