Strategy for DHS Extra Extra Magic Hours (6-9am Sept 1- Nov 2)

Is it possible for the entire park to reach capacity with EEMH? What's the total number of resort guests approximately, compared to park capacity?

Is it possible for the entire park to reach capacity with EEMH? What's the total number of resort guests approximately, compared to park capacity?
Park capacity will change when SWGE opens and we don't quite know what the capacity of SWGE is. That likely won't be officially determined until its complete and fire marshalls come through to determine safety things. I would say its very unlikely that the entire park could close via resort hotel guests during EEMH.

Touring Plans lists roughly 36,000 onsite hotel rooms.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/number-rooms
Let's say roughly 4 people per room (obviously that is not true for every room) 4x36,000 = 144,000. Not sure what the actual number is but an online search says that currently the DHS capacity is around 75,000. That would increase with SWGE. You also have to remember MK and AK have EEMH so people will be lured to those parks as well. So while yes it could happen I doubt it. Even on New Years Eve at MK, the park doesn't enter phased closures usually until at least 10AM or later.

I will be there that same timeframe (last week of Oct) and I’m hoping I don’t need to be there at 5a.

Sharing my plans in case you're like me and looking here for ideas. We visit Sep 15th-24th, made the reservation not expecting GE to be open, but pleasantly surprised when it was. We love Star Wars, but have a 4 year old so would choose her comfort over seeing GE in the end. We are leaving 2-3 days (2 mornings and 1 night) open when it comes time for FP's for Hollywood Studios because we wanna see how the first week or so goes before we arrive. We will still venture to HS because we truly love the park and also Toy Story Land was big hit with our daughter last year, but we plan on TRYING to get into GE if only just once. We have a fairly loose trip, every day is available for Disney (no universal or beach days), so if it turns out mornings are not as crazy as expected and we can dip in for a few hours and get out, we'll try it! We won't be absolutely heartbroken if we can't visit GE, but we are actively trying.

Park capacity will change when SWGE opens and we don't quite know what the capacity of SWGE is. That likely won't be officially determined until its complete and fire marshalls come through to determine safety things. I would say its very unlikely that the entire park could close via resort hotel guests during EEMH.

Touring Plans lists roughly 36,000 onsite hotel rooms.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/number-rooms
Let's say roughly 4 people per room (obviously that is not true for every room) 4x36,000 = 144,000. Not sure what the actual number is but an online search says that currently the DHS capacity is around 75,000. That would increase with SWGE. You also have to remember MK and AK have EEMH so people will be lured to those parks as well. So while yes it could happen I doubt it. Even on New Years Eve at MK, the park doesn't enter phased closures usually until at least 10AM or later.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I'm trying to plan my days but it's nearly impossible because I don't know if I'll get in during EEMH or need to try later. I don't want to spend 10 hours in line. Also if there's a virtual queue, I won't know how early will that reach capacity. I've been watching Hagrid's coaster and it seems like their 5-6 hour line reaches capacity around 2:30 or 3 PM (on the days I looked). That's just for one ride so hopefully a whole area will be later. If I'll be waiting in a virtual queue I would want fast passes for Studios while waiting. If I get in early I would want the fast passes for much later. It would be great if they would release all the entry details before fast pass day but it's unlikely.

Sharing my plans in case you're like me and looking here for ideas. We visit Sep 15th-24th, made the reservation not expecting GE to be open, but pleasantly surprised when it was. .

I am there 2 days later then you (and staying 2 days longer). We have hs near the end, but added a second HS day (it was a free day/probably mk initially). ;) I couldn’t decide if GE opening was a good thing or not, but now that I am seeing all the pics and reviews, I am excited.

What is everyone thinking about FPP for after EEMH? With Hollywood studios teir 1 changing I think I need to go on two mornings and book a FPP earlish on each. I wonder what is a reasonable expectation for leaving SWGE? 9? 10?

What is everyone thinking about FPP for after EEMH? With Hollywood studios teir 1 changing I think I need to go on two mornings and book a FPP earlish on each. I wonder what is a reasonable expectation for leaving SWGE? 9? 10?

I’m not. I’m park hopping instead. I’ll prebook FP in another park starting in late afternoon or evening (after a nap).

Will you book Hollywood studios FPP at all?

I’ve never been there so pretty keen on a SDD FPP.

Probably not. If I have a free evening, we might pop in to do TSL in the last hour of operation. We’re going Opening Weekend so it’s going to be impossible to plan some things in advance without any precedent set for capacity etc. With the stupid Tiering, I’m not wasting a day worth of FP when all I care about is RnRC and TSM.

Our trip is Sept 3-13th, planned before they announced the opening. I was freaked out at first, but we are huge Star Wars lovers so we're just going to embrace the madness. Our first HS day of our trip is Wednesday Sept 4th. I was planning on being at HS at 4:30am -- I know no one really knows, but I'm wondering if that is not early enough since it's only one week after the opening? Any insight or thoughts?

Probably at the end of this month, start of July. DL goes onto VQ June 24th so I'm sure WDW will look at that closely
Thanks,.... would that be when we can reserve a time to enter GE on our HS park day? How did that work in DL? Thanks again... We are planning a last minute visit. Even though I expect the crowds to be high, there still seems to be lots of rooms available across the whole resort and lots of open dining options as well. I'm taking that as a good sign!

Thanks,.... would that be when we can reserve a time to enter GE on our HS park day? How did that work in DL? Thanks again... We are planning a last minute visit. Even though I expect the crowds to be high, there still seems to be lots of rooms available across the whole resort and lots of open dining options as well. I'm taking that as a good sign!
WDW has repeatedly said no reservations will be in effect at WDW, We don't know yet if that will be true or not, bus for now no reservations will be required to enter

After yesterday with early hours at AK I think 1 hr before opening is kindly hairy. We were walking into the land full open before 730 yesterday and we are talking 2 years later now. The early morning hours keep opening earlier and earlier. You literally have no way of knowing when to show up. Now last summer we showed up 1 hr before but we will held till 730 walked up and held again. So maybe it changes based on crowd bit it’s like a game of chance anymore. I know I have said this before. I don’t mind but just tell me the actual opening time so I can get there crazy early if I really want to be getting up and getting there and the line is already long cause I would just pass on it.

I just want to know a time and then I can choose. At least this morning Epcot was 8 am and it opened 8 am.

Our trip is Sept 3-13th, planned before they announced the opening. I was freaked out at first, but we are huge Star Wars lovers so we're just going to embrace the madness. Our first HS day of our trip is Wednesday Sept 4th. I was planning on being at HS at 4:30am -- I know no one really knows, but I'm wondering if that is not early enough since it's only one week after the opening? Any insight or thoughts?

We are the same. We arrive September 4-14, and booked seven months ago (we are DVC). We are staying at GFVs but I also booked a night at BWVs on September 10 so we can walk to MGM. Although my dh loves SW (he isn't going this trip, just my mom and I), I think I have watched one movie, but plan on going just for the experience of it all. I plan on leaving my room no later than 4:15 am and walk over for 4:30 am. I am thinking they will start walking everyone by 5:15 am? Just guessing, I have no clue, I'm at my desk at work in NY just speculating LOL but they open AK FoP early all the time. We had a 9 am opening last year, and we were done with FoP and Navi by 9:10 am (I looked at my phone when we walked off Navi) so as you say, it still opens early at AK. You and I don't have much time to gauge how the flow will work and what time arrivals are getting there but I'll be watching every day and changing my departure time from BW accordingly. I figure I won't be doing this again (getting up to get to a park so early...my family would NEVER) so I'm with my mom and if she wants to go with me and wait at TSL, great and if not, I'm still going for it, a new experience for me LOL

We are the same. We arrive September 4-14, and booked seven months ago (we are DVC). We are staying at GFVs but I also booked a night at BWVs on September 10 so we can walk to MGM. Although my dh loves SW (he isn't going this trip, just my mom and I), I think I have watched one movie, but plan on going just for the experience of it all. I plan on leaving my room no later than 4:15 am and walk over for 4:30 am. I am thinking they will start walking everyone by 5:15 am? Just guessing, I have no clue, I'm at my desk at work in NY just speculating LOL but they open AK FoP early all the time. We had a 9 am opening last year, and we were done with FoP and Navi by 9:10 am (I looked at my phone when we walked off Navi) so as you say, it still opens early at AK. You and I don't have much time to gauge how the flow will work and what time arrivals are getting there but I'll be watching every day and changing my departure time from BW accordingly. I figure I won't be doing this again (getting up to get to a park so early...my family would NEVER) so I'm with my mom and if she wants to go with me and wait at TSL, great and if not, I'm still going for it, a new experience for me LOL

That's a really great idea about staying at BWV the night before so you can walk over. We drive down for our trips, so I won't have to rely on outside transport to get there. I'll just keep this plan and hope for the best! Of course I'll watch the boards and feedback for the days right before this to see what time things unfold but either way I think it will be a fun, one time kind of thing! It'll be me and my two older sons, ages 11 & 10. My mom will meet up with us early afternoon with my youngest son (age 5) at TSL. I told my brother he's welcome to join, but I won't wait around for him, haha!

Here is hoping for the VQ

I know this works in DL but I am not understanding the VQ and how it actually works, just read about people wanting it. Would I need VQ if I plan on being at the parks for opening at 4:15 am? Thanks so much!

I know this works in DL but I am not understanding the VQ and how it actually works, just read about people wanting it. Would I need VQ if I plan on being at the parks for opening at 4:15 am? Thanks so much!

Park opens at 6am and just like normal rope drop they lead everyone to the different areas. When they get to the gates of Star Wars Land they count off the people and when they hit the "max" they simply close entrance and open the virtual queue which you would sign up for on your phone. When your time comes up you are notified and you go back to Star Wars Land and you are let through.

At 4:15am you likely will be towards the front of the line and likely fine. You never know though if 5000 people get there at 4:14am and you miss out and have to grab a VQ spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!