Straws at the parks?

emilyrachael

Mouseketeer
What's the status of drinking straws at the parks? I thought I had heard Disney was trying to phase them out or replacing them with paper straws. Do they still have lids, too (at least for kid's drinks)? I want to see if I need to bring straw cups with me for my 20 month old or if I'll be able to get cups with a straw and lid at meals for him.

You can get paper straws almost everywhere no issues, didn't see a plastic straw once in two weeks. Lids are far more sporadic, they seem to have them some places. By request maybe, our youngest is 9 so we are past that stage. This is based on our Christmas week trip.

Lids are a big deal for us, so we now bring our own. The ones that fit their cups are sweetheart brand if you're interested.

Just left WDW. No plastic straws. All paper. Never saw a lid. Sometimes they don’t give any straw. It’s different everywhere you go.

The paper straws Disney was using earlier this year were terrible. They would turn to mush before you finished your beverage. The paper they were made out of seemed to dissolve shortly after you put them in the beverage. Bring your own plastic straws if you need to use them in the future.

I brought a ziplock bag with some plastic straws in it in my backpack back in July for my kids. My oldest (6) is fine without a straw or lid---but my youngest (3) not so much. We had the meal plan so often brought the kids mugs with us empty or with water into the parks and then used those for them to help circumvent the no lid issue. The paper straws were annoying for me as an adult with how they would dissolve so quickly before I could finish my drink.

When I was at AK in December, there was a lady in front of me at the beverage counter at Y&Y, having a major fit because there were no straws sitting out for her to use. She went marching off to complain. Had she been a bit nicer, I would have politely explained, but I was more of the mindset "good riddance!" and got my napkins.

Just be aware you cannot carry plastic straws into the Animal Kingdom
Good reminder. I'm going to bring some disposable plastic straws for the other parks for when my son gets milk with his meal (trying to minimize the need to clean stuff during the trip...). For water, we'll just use our refillable water bottles. I'll throw in a reusable straw cup for his milk at AK.

The straws are annoying, but I can deal with them while there. The no lid thing I can't deal with. I always bring them. My 2 year old has to have a lid.

We always bring a reusable bottle for the kids for water. I also brought these on our recent Disney cruise for my son who has oral motor challenges and needs a straw with a lid. They are nice for if you get other special drinks (chocolate milk, juice, etc.) I love that they are small and kid sized. We try to live as sustainably as possible at home, but these little cups/lids/straws really help in the parks. Just not at AK due to the straws.

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Plastic...ocphy=9018747&hvtargid=pla-348055248896&psc=1

We were there this past weekend with our 2 year old. We had to ask for paper straws. Don't recall there being many lids (wasn't really an issue for us as we brought his water bottle and most straws needed were for milk cartons).

I understand straws for little ones, but I honestly have never seen an adult use a straw in normal circumstances (like at home, for the disabled, or in nice restaurants) so it really surprised me that this was an issue. I honestly never use a straw or a lid at home, so I didn’t picture this being an issue in parks like AK.

I understand straws for little ones, but I honestly have never seen an adult use a straw in normal circumstances (like at home, for the disabled, or in nice restaurants) so it really surprised me that this was an issue. I honestly never use a straw or a lid at home, so I didn’t picture this being an issue in parks like AK.
I don’t use a straw at home, but I never put ice in my drink . I have very sensitive teeth to cold as do many ppl who prefer a straw. I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in my area & have always been given a straw if I order a Diet Coke.

The only time I feel the need is if I'm having a frozen drink like the Mint Julep Lemonade at Casey's Corner. Trying to get a straw there back in early December was a pita.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter