Straws at the parks?

I hate paper straws. Drinks taste way different with a paper straw. I'm going to bring my own plastic ones from home.

We bring reusable silicone straws now and rinse them out back in our room. I've heard of straws made from agave fibers that are environmentally friendly but I've never tried them.
I'm going to look into reusable lids for the quick service meals. Spilling drinks all over the floor while trying to walk back to a table is a huge fear of mine.

We bring reusable silicone straws now and rinse them out back in our room. I've heard of straws made from agave fibers that are environmentally friendly but I've never tried them.
I'm going to look into reusable lids for the quick service meals. Spilling drinks all over the floor while trying to walk back to a table is a huge fear of mine.
You might try something like these: https://well.ca/products/silikids-s...MI94enoIL95gIVBNNkCh23fQnqEAQYAyABEgLYpvD_BwE

If my kids were still little, I would just bring reusable mugs with us and poor the drinks into them. It is one thing to not have a straw but getting lids is hit and miss now. I rather have something with a lid.

Okay, trying to make sure I understand. Even reuasble straws are banned at AK? I already own rigid silicone straws.

Has anyone tried using the Silikids or Boone silicone lids? Do they work with the paper cups?

I'm having nightmares about drinks with 4 young kids. They're fine at home, but as soon as we're out someone is always spilling something as soon as there's no lids. sigh.

Okay, trying to make sure I understand. Even reuasble straws are banned at AK? I already own rigid silicone straws.

Has anyone tried using the Silikids or Boone silicone lids? Do they work with the paper cups?

I'm having nightmares about drinks with 4 young kids. They're fine at home, but as soon as we're out someone is always spilling something as soon as there's no lids. sigh.
The rules say no plastic straws at AK. It doesn't go any further than that in terms of explaining what they mean.

These sippy cups are compliant and you have to try quite hard to get them to leak. We often bring them to restaurants that give our kids straws that don't bend or lids that don't fit well, and dump their beverages into them. Would recommend highly.

I understand straws for little ones, but I honestly have never seen an adult use a straw in normal circumstances (like at home, for the disabled, or in nice restaurants) so it really surprised me that this was an issue. I honestly never use a straw or a lid at home, so I didn’t picture this being an issue in parks like AK.
Interesting we use straws a lot at home...generally when we're out to eat at both sitdown and fast food etc.

I don’t use a straw at home, but I never put ice in my drink . I have very sensitive teeth to cold as do many ppl who prefer a straw. I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in my area & have always been given a straw if I order a Diet Coke.

I agree... I have very sensitive teeth and lips, and can't handle ice against them while drinking. But I prefer my drinks cold. Thus, I prefer straws, to the point that if straws are not available I will not pay for a cold drink. (I don't care for sodas that have been refrigerated but not put on ice... they get warm too soon and taste too sweet.)

We have taken many steps to remove single-use plastics from our lives, but I am stymied by the societal choice to pick on straws as the evil of choice. There is so much more plastic (by weight) in a plastic cup, lid, plate, fork, takeout clamshell or other single-use item.

Last edited:
I was at Animal Kingdom in September of 2019, my family brought in a pouch of reusable silicone straws. My 4 year old daughter used them throughout the day for her milk boxes, and I used several too (I always seem to spill all over myself if there's a lot of ice and I don't have a straw for a big cup). Seems like the silicone ones are totally fine since no one stopped us at security or the eating locations.

I understand straws for little ones, but I honestly have never seen an adult use a straw in normal circumstances (like at home, for the disabled, or in nice restaurants) so it really surprised me that this was an issue. I honestly never use a straw or a lid at home, so I didn’t picture this being an issue in parks like AK.

I'm way into the 'Grammy' years and I 'always' use straws and lids when I am out and about - l like my drinks closed!!
I also use straws anytime I have a canned drink - can't stand drinking from a can - at home or not.
Always use them at restaurants too - no matter the type - in fact, most people I see use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter