Straws

superme80

DIS Veteran
Nope! I want my straw! If I have to bring my own, I will. I am all for bio degradable straws and reusable straws, but nope I need my straw. We have reusable straws at my house.

Straws are also important for people with disabilities who cannot hold a glass. Paper straws are too flimsy and metal or silicone reusable straws aren't always practical if a person or their caretaker forgets to bring it or the person cannot clean it by themselves. Also cognitive issues on top of physical disabilities could pose the "forgot my straw" issue. I definitely agree with reducing straw usage, but I feel that restaurants should still have plastic ones available for requests.

Straws are also important for people with disabilities who cannot hold a glass. Paper straws are too flimsy and metal or silicone reusable straws aren't always practical if a person or their caretaker forgets to bring it or the person cannot clean it by themselves. Also cognitive issues on top of physical disabilities could pose the "forgot my straw" issue. I definitely agree with reducing straw usage, but I feel that restaurants should still have plastic ones available for requests.
So on board with on request for straws. I am working on cutting down my plastic consumption, but I will not give up my straws.

We were at Disney Springs a few weeks ago and stopped into Jock Lindsay's for a snack. My wife asked for a straw for her Coke and the waitress left and reappeared with 2 straws - in a large plastic cup. smh

As I've mentioned multiple times in the BYOS thread, Disney needs to look into bioplastics as the ultimate solution rather than replace the existing straws with paper ones, and force us to do without the lids. Also, Disney needs to expand their refillable mugs programme - Universal already has the right idea, so why not Disney?

We got paper straws in AK counter service, plastic straws in HS counter service. Even the straws for stirring g coffee in the little packets in our room were inconsistent. Some were plastic and some looked like wood. Is Disney just using their old stock?

How about if people that do want the plastic kind there’s a charge.

Only a nominal charge, like here in the UK if you’re out shopping and don’t have a reusable bag and want a single use plastic one you pay 5p (7c).

So have the charge at around 5c, Then that money could go straight to their Wildlife fund: offsetting the damage by helping the environment.

How about if people that do want the plastic kind there’s a charge.

Only a nominal charge, like here in the UK if you’re out shopping and don’t have a reusable bag and want a single use plastic one you pay 5p (7c).

So have the charge at around 5c, Then that money could go straight to their Wildlife fund: offsetting the damage by helping the environment.
I definitely agree, well, especially for the plastic carrier bags. It'll help to enforce Disney's reduction plans for the bags, not to mention that it'll encourage reuse a lot more. The Disney Stores in the UK and much of Europe has been doing this for years and it's worked out well, yet it doesn't cause a great deal of inconvenience (it's only mild, but it's bearable), particularly since I've been vocally against what they've been doing in the Disney Stores in the US, where they're forcing people to either purchase their flimsy totes that don't last long enough, bring their own (which isn't always going to be practical), or worse, do without a bag and risk the purchases being damaged in a busy mall environment. I've heard so many complaints over the issue, even from those who initially supported it, and it's already causing concern that the Parks will be next, despite the July announcement not mentioning eliminating the bags in the Parks, but rather reducing them.

That said, I don't know how well that will work with the straws, but I certainly know that it will work well with the bags, hence why I think as part of the bags part of the plastics plan, they should be charged for a benign fee.

I hate to say this, but I don't mind what Starbucks did. I know it isn't eco friendly or anything, but I like their lid. I hope Disney does something like this. I am a huge klutz, and not having a lid is not an option for me.

I hate to say this, but I don't mind what Starbucks did. I know it isn't eco friendly or anything, but I like their lid. I hope Disney does something like this. I am a huge klutz, and not having a lid is not an option for me.
At least it's better than nothing, in the absence of the refillable mugs programme being expanded. However, they'd have to put recycling points by the QS locations to ensure that they are actually being recycled.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter