Straws

Clockwork

DIS Veteran
i know that Disney is removing straws, but what are they doing for milkshakes and smoothies? Do they give you a plastic straw,paper straw or a spoon. Just wondering, if I have to bring straws I will, but I’d rather not.

We were at Disney in May of this year and restaurants had those dreadful paper straws. They seemed to get soggy and fall apart before you could finish your beverage. I would bring your own plastic straws if you like to use them.
Thanks, that’s kinda what I figured, it doesn’t matter to me, other than milkshakes and smoothies, but I’m not attempting to try to drink either thru a paper straw.

Plus the paper straws taste terrible. Kind of a glue flavor.

I don't know why they can't make paper straws like they had in the old days before plastic straws. They worked on everything (sometimes you needed a second one) and they didn't taste awful.

I'm bringing 2 metal straws with us, plus someone told me tonight that they sell packs of 8 hard plastic straws. They're really cute too! Just bring yourself a mini brush to clean the inside of them or else.... 🤮🤢🤮

I'm bringing 2 metal straws with us, plus someone told me tonight that they sell packs of 8 hard plastic straws. They're really cute too! Just bring yourself a mini brush to clean the inside of them or else.... 🤮🤢🤮
Thank you, I think I’m going to get a pack from amazon that includes the brush and case. Has anyone tried the bamboo ones?

I noticed that alcoholic beverages and maybe milkshakes came with slightly sturdier black paper straws. Starbucks also has their own green versions like they’ve always had in AK. They’re not great, but don’t disintegrate as fast as the white paper.

We brought metal, hard plastic and soft silicone ones with us. The soft ones are my favorite just for safety reasons. That said, I wish I had just packed a box or two of disposable ones for convenience. I lost 3-4 of my reusable ones just leaving them in the glass when we left the restaurant. Plus having to wash them out and remember to put them back in our backpack in the morning; it was just one more thing I had to keep track of.

We’ve actually switched to the silicone ones at home, but on vacation I don’t want to deal with it again. The paper straws are worthless, especially with a toddler, so I think I’m packing good old disposable plastic next trip.

I noticed that alcoholic beverages and maybe milkshakes came with slightly sturdier black paper straws. Starbucks also has their own green versions like they’ve always had in AK. They’re not great, but don’t disintegrate as fast as the white paper.

We brought metal, hard plastic and soft silicone ones with us. The soft ones are my favorite just for safety reasons. That said, I wish I had just packed a box or two of disposable ones for convenience. I lost 3-4 of my reusable ones just leaving them in the glass when we left the restaurant. Plus having to wash them out and remember to put them back in our backpack in the morning; it was just one more thing I had to keep track of.

We’ve actually switched to the silicone ones at home, but on vacation I don’t want to deal with it again. The paper straws are worthless, especially with a toddler, so I think I’m packing good old disposable plastic next trip.

Just remember not to take them to AK as they won't be allowed.

My limited experience with the new straws at WDW is I'll survive and so will the drinks.

Bought a Dole Whip float @ Poly and didn't finish it until the next afternoon. It sat in the fridge and neither the "ice cream" or paper straw dissolved. I'm now much more worried about what's in the Whip that I consumed (how did it not melt?!?) then the straw's composition :lmao:.

Noticed no off taste of wax or similar.

I bought collapsible metal ones that come in a small plastic case with an extendable brush. It was a bit more work to remember to clean it every night but I love them. I simply won't use those paper ones - I think they're disgusting. They begin to disintegrate within a few minutes.

Has anyone brought the silicone or metal straws into AK? If they are going to take them away I will leave them in the hotel room when we visit that park.

Someone gave me 5 plastic reusable straws a couple of years ago and I gave them away thinking "Why would I ever need these?". I guess I wasn't very forward thinking. :(

Has anyone brought the silicone or metal straws into AK? If they are going to take them away I will leave them in the hotel room when we visit that park.
We brought hard plastic and metal reusable this summer. I had them in a ziploc with the little brush. No problem at security or using them at Tusker House .

My limited experience with the new straws at WDW is I'll survive and so will the drinks.

Bought a Dole Whip float @ Poly and didn't finish it until the next afternoon. It sat in the fridge and neither the "ice cream" or paper straw dissolved. I'm now much more worried about what's in the Whip that I consumed (how did it not melt?!?) then the straw's composition :lmao:.

Noticed no off taste of wax or similar.
They make Dole Whips out of old Walmart ice cream sandwiches. Everybody knows those don't melt.

Just curious...Has anyone considered going straw-less? I really never used them...and not for 'moral reasons'...I just prefer the old fashioned tilt-and-sip method. There are times when straws are needed...milkshakes, boba tea, etc...but for the most part, I don't really like them.

We took a pack of 6 plastic reusable straws this Summer. They were a little wider than a normal straw and worked great with milkshakes. It's a good thing we brought the whole pack because all three of us threw them away with the cup the first day, habit I guess. :P I bought them at Marshalls for $3.99

Last edited:
Just curious...Has anyone considered going straw-less? I really never used them...and not for 'moral reasons'...I just prefer the old fashioned tilt-and-sip method. There are times when straws are needed...milkshakes, boba tea, etc...but for the most part, I don't really like them.
Some medical issues make straws much easier to consume liquids, especially neurological conditions. Also, some dentists recommend straw use to help keep liquids from staining tooth enamel.

Also, some little minions spill without lids and straws.

Last edited:
The agave straws you can get at La Cava are pretty good. They feel like plastic and don't disintegrate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter