Strength Training at Home, Help.

PurpleHaze

Mouseketeer
Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice and guidance on at home strength training plans. I'm at a point where I need to do some strength training. Ive been threatning it for a while and just always fell back on not being able to find a routine or plan I felt good about. Im not a gym guy for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is cost. I was thinking you good people surely had some tried and true home workout routines that you use with good results, especially since so many places have been closed for months. Id love any input you have.

Also I have another training related question. Ive got a half marathon coming up at the end of January Ive been preparing for. I have a week planned at Disney at the begining of November. Do you guys continue your trainging when at Disney or do you feel all the walking you do at the parks is a suitable subsytitue for a few days?

Also I have another training related question. Ive got a half marathon coming up at the end of January Ive been preparing for. I have a week planned at Disney at the begining of November. Do you guys continue your trainging when at Disney or do you feel all the walking you do at the parks is a suitable subsytitue for a few days?
I can't help with the first part of the question since I have no strength. For the second question, yes, I still train when at Disney. Running training is more than just putting in the miles... you are stressing specific parts/functions of your body to achieve specific physiological adaptations. You have to be moving at certain (individual-specific) speeds to achieve this.

Warning - What I am about to suggest is PRICEY!
Full disclosure: I had my 2nd back surgery about 15 months ago so I was doing a lot of core exercises already, using exercises I learned while doing physical therapy. IOW, I was already in the habit of doing the exercise.
Shortly after COVID shutdowns started my DW and DS insisted we get a Peloton bike. There is the cost of the bike, but then also there is a subscription to the classes. I was HIGHLY skeptical - I did not think they'd use it, ,and...I've been right. DS has used it about 50% as much as he said he would, DW...has not. BUT - I have been using it, every day, and let me tell you, the classes are great. I am now in the habit of riding the bike for a 30 minute class each morning, followed by a 10 minute strength class (core or full-body). I never went to the gym that often and never did a gym class. I have not yet gone to this length, but they also have strength classes using resistance bands and weights - will probably do both at some point. I have not lost weight but have traded body fat weight for muscle weight, so full win there. Not only that, but core-wise I am now strong enough to fully get back to surfing - that's been hard with the back issues I've had - really happy with that.

SO...
Really pricey, I'll let you do the research, but if the whole family has been paying to go to one gym or another you can all cancel those memberships and just do the Peloton classes - they are very good and it's totally worth it if that's your intent.

Three words, my dude: Nike. Training. Club. It is FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE.

Also walking around the parks is not a substitute for marathon training (sadly) but there are a few places on property like Wilderness Lodge and the Boardwalk loop that people use to get miles in if you so choose.

Good luck!

So I did a free trial of Peloton when Covid first started. I liked the variety of classes. I would certainly give that--or another similar app- a try. Also, web sites like Runners's World always have articles/plans for strength training. I have used some of that content to put together a simple set of exercises that hit the major muscle groups that I want to cover. I have a set of free weights, a fit ball and some fitness bands that I have accumulated over time which are useful to mix thins up.

As for training while at WDW, I never do. I just factor in a rest week to my training plan, and don't worry about it---one week will not kill a plan, and we all know how much walking we do. I know myself, and I just don't feel like dealing with training while I'm there. If you have the discipline to still train, by all means, do it.

Last edited:
What are you looking for in "strength training"? Are you looking for body weight, resistance, hand weights, a rig? Some equipment is still not easy to find due to supply chain issues but you can do a lot with a few pieces of equipment.

As for your second question, I continue training on vacation. Running different places is one of the things I most look forward to on a trip. Just make sure whatever you do is planned around the activities you will be doing. If you normally only take about 5,000 steps a day in addition to running at home and will be taking 30,000 a day at Disney I would still suggest training but dial back the mileage and/or intensity.

I'll look into the peloton stuff cause it sounds interesting, but I'll also look into that Nike thing cause well...free. Right now I've got some resistance bands and some old dumbells. I keep hearing how strength training helps with speed and injury resistance. I dont have any injuries but my knees sure do feel it after a run, so I was thinking doing some cross training could help that.

Personally I think mobility and strength training are essential part of good running. I highly recommend the book Becoming a Supple Leopard or Ready to Run for mobility. For strength training I really like single leg high weight/low rep work. When you run you are loading one leg at a time and I like doing the same with weights. The Bulgarian Split Squat with a Kettlebell is the best running specific weight move I think you can do and it is easy to do at home. I also like using the leg press one leg at a time but that is harder at home.

The one move that goes against that recommendation is the dead lift. Again, go heavy but concentrate on form. I much prefer a Hex or Trap bar to a straight bar.

Lastly, polymetric moves like bounds and even the jump rope are really good for strength and never under estimate resistance bands. I have these and then screwed in three wall mounts at ankle, waist, and head height for different movements.

I've used Beachbody for the last couple of years. I also really like McMillan's Runner's Core Routine. It used to be $5 per year, but they've paired it with another service now. Nine videos that don't require any equipment that I find progressive. I'm trying McMillan's Marathon Legs right now. It's pricier and doesn't have follow-along videos which is a bit disappointing. But I made my own follow along videos with some video editing. The combo of McMillan Core and Legs with LIIFT4 from Beachbody has been a nice pairing for me.

I still train on vacation. Maybe have it as a recovery/low week?

If you are looking for a running specific strength program, I would recommend RunSmart online. It is a paid program ($100 for a year if I recall correctly), but it was designed by two runners who happen to both be physical therapists (one of which I worked with in person leading up to this year's Princess race). The strength program was two levels - Base 3 and Base 6 - along with a yoga component (which is HARD) and kettlebell workout - all of which are designed to build strength in runners and prevent running related injuries. It focuses a lot on balance moves (which most runners are terrible with) and core strength. They also developed an injury protocol, which give you a step by step guide to get back to running when you are injured. The program also has race training plans and user support (a Facebook group and once monthly live Q&A).

I've trained on vacation when I was preparing for my first Disney half marathon. I swapped around days so that I was only doing 30-45 minutes on the hotel treadmill, but I did it. It actually helped loosen up my legs from all of the standing in lines. My travel partner thought that I was nuts!

You can build strength and muscle mass (if that's a goal) with nothing but calisthenics. The key is to work the entire body, and make individual exercises progressively more difficult. Squats, core exercises, rows, dips, pushups, pullups.

For me - P90X. It is essentially moving your own body weight. You really only need barbells for the arm days to do the routine, and it will transform your body.

I run and do pushups on vacation - that's it.

I think OrangeTheory still has their ‘At Home’ workouts on YouTube for free. They incorporate some cardio and weight training.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks everyone. Im going to start looking into all this and see what fits me best.

You can build strength and muscle mass (if that's a goal) with nothing but calisthenics. The key is to work the entire body, and make individual exercises progressively more difficult. Squats, core exercises, rows, dips, pushups, pullups.

This. My husband has been a Marine for 24 years and all he has is a set of 20lb dumbbells, but has kept up amazing strength by simply doing:

Pushups
Pull ups (okay, you need a door mounted pull up bar for this)
Shoulder presses
Squats (holding the weights)
Burpees
Sit ups
Planks

If you can find dumbells, get some 15-20 lb ones. Get a pullup bar and use a chair for assistance until you can so them unassisted.

You can look up various calisthenics online. There are numerous ways to perform these exercises to target different areas.

I always run 4 to 8 miles a day at WDW. My favorite areas to run are from the Grand to the transportation center through the Poly and also the Boardwalk area. You can run from EPCOT to Hollywood. I can't wait until the bridge is in from the Grand to the MK. You will be able to run from the Transportation Center to the Contemporary. There is also a hotel across the road from the Poly. You can run back there too.

I’m going to put in another vote for the Peloton classes. You can buy a class subscription without buying a bike or tread mill, I believe it is around $12/mo. They offer strength, cardio, meditation, dance, stretching etc. You can do a 5 minute workout if that is all you have, or you can get into a planned program. They even have some fun family workouts. I started doing these while I waited two months for my bike to arrive. I love them, so much variety and fun.

I tried to find time for the gym, but I understood that it could last for months, so I decided to do workouts at home. Are there any programs I can follow to keep fit and that don't require every day training?

I tried to find time for the gym, but I understood that it could last for months, so I decided to do workouts at home. Are there any programs I can follow to keep fit and that don't require every day training?
I feel you. I also ended up doing workouts at home. Actually, everyday exercising is not recommended as you might face the problem of overtraining. Also, your muscles need time to repair and grow, so it is essential to have rest days.
As for the programs to follow, I'd recommend starting with 3 full-body calisthenics workouts per week, allowing for a rest day between each workout. You can find a good guide here https://betterme.world/articles/full-body-calisthenics-workout/ They are easy to do and don't require any equipment.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!