STRESSED: AoA, AKL or POR???

Which one is best? (I have 6 adults, 3 kids age 4-5, and an 8mo going in June 2019)

• Art of Animation

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Port Orleans Riverside

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
When my boys were 7,11 and 15 we stayed in an AB room at POR. The Murphy bed made having 2 adults and 3 kids in one room comfortable for sleeping. My sister's family traveled with us....she and her kids had a room 2 doors down.

I voted POR but I don't love the 5 person rooms there. I would choose Carribean Beach as long as you're going after the construction is done. The pool area is great for younger ones and it is chaper than AKL.

AKL definitely no question!! It is a Disney resort in all of it's creativity, beauty and innovation. The food would be fine for kids - though there are ethnic options, there are also plenty of options that everyone will enjoy. All buffets have a kids area as well with things like chicken tenders and mac and cheese.

And I would also consider renting DVC points at Kidani Village if that works better for your group. AKL is an amazing resort IMHO!

If someone was paying for me I would choose the most economical. That would be POR. The grounds are quite nice. The rooms are nothing special. AKL is better on both fronts. Distance is a non issue. You might spend 5 more minutes on the bus. Never stayed at AoA. We don’t rent suites unless we need them.

Although I love renting DVC it may be problematic with 3 families in play. You cannot cancel or modify once booked no matter what happens.

If budget is a concern, have you looked at Pop Century? Honestly with only three days, you're likely only going to be in the rooms to sleep. That is such a short trip.

You could request connecting rooms, not guaranteed, but with the refurbishment they have queen beds now. It's a cute resort!

I don't recommend paying for the dining plan. If you get it as a free promotion, that's great, but most of the time it costs more than you would spend out of pocket.

I forgot about that! True! Hope they read up on how to maximize that! Maybe even two rooms, depending on how they want to use the credits (it could cover the third room's meals too).
Sorry to OP for asking a question in their thread, but how does this work? We will be going in June with 3 adults in 1 room and 2 adults in a second room (I’m paying for both rooms). Would this be something we should think about?thank you!

Sorry to OP for asking a question in their thread, but how does this work? We will be going in June with 3 adults in 1 room and 2 adults in a second room (I’m paying for both rooms). Would this be something we should think about?thank you!

The DxDP is 3 meal credits, two snacks per person per day. Meals can be TS or quick service. When at a TS, it includes an appetizer, meal, dessert, and drink per credit. QS is still just a meal and drink.

If you were to put the DxDP on your 3 person room, you'd pay $348.75 a day and get 9 meal credits and 6 snacks a day, plus 3 refillable mugs for the length of your trip. You could then use those 9 credits to do 2 TS meals (assuming you're willing to split 4 apps, meals, desserts, and drinks among the 5 of you at an a la carte TS, which is still a ton of food). Look at Disney menu prices and you'll see that it's nearly impossible to feed 5 adults 2 TS meals at that price if you're paying OOP.

Really, look at how many meals you want to do sit down and then decide if you want the plan on the 2 person room or the 3 person room, depending on how many credits you need. You have to use a credit per person at buffet/character/all you care to enjoy meals, but you can plan on splitting meals and apps at a la carte places.

If you use the plan for included snacks and TS meals and pay OOP for extra QS, snacks, or drinks, you will end up spending less than if you had a) gone totally oop or b) gone on the traditional ddp.

The DxDP is 3 meal credits, two snacks per person per day. Meals can be TS or quick service. When at a TS, it includes an appetizer, meal, dessert, and drink per credit. QS is still just a meal and drink.

If you were to put the DxDP on your 3 person room, you'd pay $348.75 a day and get 9 meal credits and 6 snacks a day, plus 3 refillable mugs for the length of your trip. You could then use those 9 credits to do 2 TS meals (assuming you're willing to split 4 apps, meals, desserts, and drinks among the 5 of you at an a la carte TS, which is still a ton of food). Loo at Disney menu prices and you'll see that it's nearly impossible to feed 5 adults 2 TS meals at that price if you're paying OOP.

Really, look at how many meals you want to do sit down and then decide of you want the plan on the 2 person room or the three person room.
Wow this is HUGE! We were only planning 1 sit down meal a day maybe 2 every other day for all of us. I think this will work. Thank you so much and sorry again for switching topics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter