Stressed over Trip(happy for this site)

elismom

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes
I have just come across this site and it could not have come at a better time for me.
My 9 year old son and I will be a disney for christmas Dec18 to 26 2003.
We are so excited .Its are first christmas trip.
I have been 7 times before (over 26years ) and this will be Elis second we went when he was 6.
Heres my problem!
I have two friends(one a very good friend)
two weeks ago we had a major argument (we havent spoken sense).
Over what!
Over my going to disney and what they call my childish behaver,I dont talk about disney with them I know how they feel about the place (wont get into detail). They are convinced that something must be wrong with me because no selfrespectable adult would want to go to disney as much as I do!
and enjoy It to boot!
Im glad I have found this site I know I have not taken a leave of all my senses!
Thanks
Im working on trying to get my disney spirt back now!
Shelley and Eli

Childish behaviour???? If you ask me they are the ones with the childish behaviour!! :mad:

I don't know what my friends think deep down but they humour me and listen to my recounts of my trips and patiently look through my tons of pictures each trip! True friends do that!! :)

I'm glad you found us too Shelley. WELCOME!! You will certainly get lots of support here! :) :) :)

We have talked and met some great people because of this site. Only Disney fanatics understand about going to Disney. We have been at least 17 times. When you want to talk use us because some people dont understand why we go so often. Why we sometimes meet at restaurants, Shell stations, Wonderland, and Niagara Falls to discuss strategies and share pictures. Dont let a non-believer discourage you and your family.

Not to highjack this thread, but Tony and Debbie where have you been???? We MISSED you!!! :)

I heartily agree with Disneykins though, Shelley, there have been many friendships made here on the DIS and we have a great time at the meets! There is another one in the planning stages (see SandraC's post) and we'd love to have you join us. Keep a watch for the date.

Julie We have been on holidays and I just tried to send you a pm but was taking too long. I'm glad about your mini-trip; it brought tears to my eyes!!! I also do not want to take away from this topic.

Welcome! You'll find many helpful people and make many friends!
I envy you going at Christmas, I'd like to do that one day as well!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
Marilynn

Hi Shelley ~ WELCOME to the DIS! We do meet every 3-4 months and have a wonderful time! CONGRATS on your upcoming trip!

About your friends ~ sometimes their fussing is less about you and Disney and more about what's happening in their lives. They see you enjoying the anticipation of your trip and they are probably are missing joy in their lives. Because they can't deal with their own feelings, they look for the easy way to handle this situation by putting it down. Ultimately, they couldn't get a grasp on this and now you don't speak. It's sad ~ this happen to me too.

Keep coming back! S

Welcome! I totally agree with SandraC. If they can't be happy for you and your excitement in going to Disney, then why worry about them. Obviously something is missing in their lives if they can't even be happy for you when this makes you so obviously happy. You'll find many, many of us here that love Disney as much as you do.

Welcome to the DIS Boards - Shelley!
If you friend is right - then I guess that makes about 54,000 of us exhibiting "childish behaviour" LOL!
I wouldn't worry about her - unless you can manage to drag her down to WDW (kicking and screaming, I'm sure...) and sprinkle her with mass amounts of pixie dust - then she probably won't ever get it! It can be our secret - you and your 54K new friends
:D
Have a great Xmas trip!

Hi Shelley!!!
Hope you and your friend can patch things up.
It is hard when people can't understand the disney obsession!! I usually put it this way to them....I know people who go to the cottage every weekend or mexico every winter or europe every summer....ect...they never deviate from what they like to do....so why should I!!! For some people mexico will do the trick...for others it is disney-to each there own! You would never razz a friend for wanting to go to say the Caribbean each winter right!
Hope you guys have a wonderful magical trip!
Grover in Winnipeg
:)

person doesn't want to go to Disney?

I am sure there are people out there who think we are crazy for loving Disney as much as we do, but I personally think they are crazy for not loving it as much as we do.

They don't know what Magic feels like!

I know what you are going thru! I had to tell the people at work that I was going to the "The Cottage"LOL I've since changed my story to "The Lodge"!

There are people out there that just do not understand:rolleyes: !

Glad you found this Happy Place until you get to the Happy Place!

Welcome!

Oh, I don't want to grow up, I just wanna be a kid! And what better place than at Disney!LOL

Scratch
:smooth:

I too know many people who don't understand my excitement about Disney - however, they are always people who have never been! Has your friend ever been to the world? It always amazes me that people can pass judgement without ever having been there and trying it. Don't let one person steal your enjoyment and welcome to the boards! Isn't it nice to know that you're not the only one who loves Disney sooooooo much?:p

I remember when I first found these boards about 8 months ago. It was such a WONDERFUL feeling. After years of scorn from people who just "don't get it ", it was so good to find there was a whole group of people who loved Disney the way I do. For so long I thought I was alone.

I have two neices and a sister who really like Disney but the rest of the family really don't like it. As a matter of fact one sister absolutely hates Disney. Thinks it's a really bad company. I don't talk to them about Disney and don't really tell them that I am going.
tigercat

Just tell here there are 29 year old twins on here that don't have children BUT go to Disney every chance they get! Then maybe she won't think that you are so weird!

Elismom,

I too just found this site, and absolutely love it! I thought I had Disney on the brain - now I know I'm not alone! We're headed down in December - 6th to 14th, and its always on our minds!

About your friends - not everyone understands the magic and excitment that WDW brings to people like us. We get to dream and imagine and hopefully, every now and then get to revisit that magical place.

Your friends will get over it, or pass it off, but no matter - here you'll always find friendly folks who completely understand, and will accept you as family.

Keep smilin'!

Hey Elismom and Chico - Welcome to the Dis! My whole family loves Disney, but even they get sick of endlessly debating the best restaurant or the best ride sequence. They just want me to do most of the planning and then they're thrilled to follow the plan. Fortunately, there are lots of people here to ask and answer questions, so you can get your Disney hit.

Note - Good friends aren't supposed to do more than say "Again?" in a disbelieving voice when you tell them your plans. Then they're supposed to be happy for you (at least that's my theory). Why do some people feel a sense of moral superiority because they go back to view the same grains of sand on the beach every year when others want to do something else? After all when they announce that they're going to the cottage for the 15th weekend running, I don't disparage their plans.

Shelley - Hope you and Eli have a great trip. Have you thought about an annual pass? I see you're staying for a fairly long time, and there have been some great AP resort rates offered in the last few days.

Cheers,

I dont know why anyone would get that upset about another rpersons choice of holiday unless they are really jealous. WE went in Mar. and hope to go again in Dec.And we are really really old.{LOL]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter