Stroller and American Airlines help!

KJMAX1

DIS Veteran
OK, I bought this convience stroller that folds like an umbrella stroller, yet fits like a mid size, and now I got this notice from American Airlines that they might not let me take it all the way to the gate because of security!!!

A few months ago I flew and had no problem bringing a stroller all the way to the gate, and having it stored with the wheelchairs! Now they told me to pack it in a box, and place our address on it, and check it, because we might not be able to get it on the plane.

The woman at AA told me to rent one instead! That will not happen because one the cost, and two my daughter hates those jogging strollers.

Any advice on how to get one into the plane?

Wow, this sounds pretty restrictive on AA's part. I personally would just go right up to security and try it. If they said they 'might not', then I would hope they are just trying to scare away some of the jumbo strollers people bring on trips with the tiny ones (I was guilty of that once). I hope the smaller ones are not such a problem.

How were you notified? Did it come with your tickets? Did you buy a seat for your child? Do you think it wa because you said you were flying with a child? Has anyone else gotten similar messages from other airlines?

IMHO, not very good customer service.

We are flying United in August and we bought a seat for our toddler. We are planning to take our stroller w/ her in it up to the gate. I cannot imagine waiting for our flight to load at the gate without the stroller. We are planning to gate check it like they check wheelchairs. Unless they can prove to me how a toddler in a stroller at the gate is a security risk, I am not boxing it or bagging it. "I am woman hear me roar" , well, I am a mom trying to avoid toddler meltdown.:p

That sounds wrong to me! I've flown twice since 9/11 once with Delta and once with AA and I had no problems whatsoever and got no notices like the one you got.

I brought my stroller right up to the gate and then checked it at the door.

Yes, I had to take everything off of it at security and put it through the x-ray but that's it.

We are flying AA again in October and I have every intention of bringing our stroller right up to the gate again!!

I'd ask again for your peace of mind but I certainly think they are wrong!

Ok well I called again, third time, and got a nice customer service rep, and she said that they only make you check them if the plane is full etc. and if we had purchased a seat for our daughter, which we did, then she can bring it as a personal item, and one carry on, the carseat (which my husband doesnt want to bring but I am) doesnt count at all.

I had wondered but I guess they are required to tell you that you might not be able to bring it, if a security check point person or whatever they are called, decides that it is a risk. Like how can a stroller be a risk?! I feel like I am paying for my daughters seat, they should at least provide me the space to put a small stroller!!How many people really take wheelchairs anyway! Most of the time they borrow them at the airport! Anyway, that was the official word of what we are to do.

I will be rather upset if they do put it in the hull because its an Inglesina stroller which isnt cheap and I dont want it to come out in shreds!

I wanted to mention that gate checked wheelchairs do go in with the baggage. There isn't a special place for them to go where they won't get damaged. They just go in last so that they can be unloaded quickly when you get to your destination.
In fact, most people who travel with wheelchairs have had damage at least once in their travels. And wheelcahirs in general are much stronger than strollers. We've had the antitip bars (some pieces that stick down from the back of the wheelchair to keep it from being able to tip over) bent. Those are made of aircraft aluminum, so it takes a lot to damage them.
The hints for wheelchairs are the same things I'd suggest you do with your stroller; remove anything that is loose or removable that could come off. Fold it up and fasten it securely so it won't unfold. Fasten the seat belt and pull it tight so it won't catch on anything.
A lot of people have suggested putting your stroller into a bag or sleeve before you gate check it to protect it a little more.

The new federal agency, the TSA?, is slowly taking over airport security. Try to find out if they running security at your airport and Orlando. Once TSA takes over, it is not really up to the airline what does and does not get through security. They can control what goes onto their planes.

I'm sure the stroller will have to be x-rayed. If it doesn't go through the scanner, it's not going. Also be aware that some checkpoints have baggage templates that are designed to keep larger bags off the plane. They are roughly 14" x 9". This may make it difficult to get a stroller through the x-ray.

Just a few tips on the gate checking routine. You (typically) leave the stroller on the jet-way right as you board the plane and you get it back at the same spot at the next airport. Gate checked bags are given special color coded tags by a gate agent to indicate to the baggage handlers to deliver them to the ramp rather than transfer them to the baggage claim area or a connecting flight. The tags also have a number on them and you are given a receipt with the number on it as well...just in case they lose it. :(

Gate checking is really not that bad. You don't have to fight carrying it with a child down the aisle nor try to cram it in an overhead bin. You also have it to go through the airport.

One big tip, make sure they put the tag on your stroller or bag. If you don't it has to go to baggage claim once it comes off the plane due to FAA regulations. Let's just say I learned that one the hard way. :D

kaseyC - Don't roar to loud at the security checkpoint if they don't let you through with the stroller. That's a good way to miss your vacation. Yes, security sometimes seem arbitrary and stupid but it is a brand new world. I travel frequently on business and the variability between airport security is interesting. If you have to roar, roar softly to a supervisor. Expect the worst and have alternate plans. Who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised.

We just flew AA last week and gate checked our stroller with NO problem or questions asked.

I misunderstood your original post then, I think.

I thought you were upset because AA said you could gate check your stroller, but you want to have it on the plane up top with you, in a closet or something?

I couldn't understand why they would say you could not gate check it as that's what I always do, but I do understand why they can't guarantee that you can have it with you up top. There's only so much room.

In all my flights, only one time did they fit my stroller up top. It was an AA flight to Paris. They fit our umbrella stroller in a closet.

Good luck.

I might have misunderstood too if you are talking about having the stroller on board in the closet.
Some (but not all) planes have a closet that is big enough to hold a folded wheelchair. It's the closet they use for hanging clothing bags, coats, etc. If someone is bringing on a folding wheelchair, walker, cane, or crutches, those things could go in there. Strollers could be put there too if there is room. But, if someone has a mobility device that they want in the closet, it goes in first.

Some planes have a small closet that won't fit anything except coats or clothing bags, so that's a possibility for your flight. It's also possible that they already know that there will be wheelchairs or other mobility devices filling up the closet.
You should still be able to gate check your stroller.

Hi all,
I think alot of us misunderstood what she meant
at first.
I, too, always gate check my stroller. I have never
had any damage and yes, they always get put
with the baggage. I have never seen any strollers
get put in any closets. I've only seen umbrella
strollers get put in the overhead bins.
I personally wouldn't want to have to carry my
toddler, the car seat, and the stroller onto the
plane. It is so much easier to leave it in the jetway.
For the person who's husband didn't want to
bring the car seat... He'll thank you when your
child isn't trying to unbuckle the seat belt and
run around the plane! Once and only once, I gave
in and let my son out of his carseat on the plane!
Live and learn!! Never again!:) The only drawback
for me now is that the car seat has to be in the
window seat, at least on all the flights I've ever
taken. My son doesn't like this deal as now his
sister always gets the window seat!:rolleyes:
Patty

I was the original OP and the person bringing the carseat. Yes, I want the stroller in the closet, not underneath with the baggage. It does go through the security check with the scanner, they now make all bags, stroller, wheelchairs be checked. I have always placed the stroller in the jetway and it is placed in the closet, however, this time AA said that it might be required to be actually checked with the baggage and left at the ticket desk because of new security guards. My complaint is that we fly Seattle to Chicago, to Orlando. Do you know how big Ohare is? To haul a 3 yr old and a carseat plus the cameras, and the bags across the concourse is crazy in my mind, but they said its a possibility. However, when I talked to someone a few days ago at AA they said they will let me bring the stroller all the way to the jetway, leave it with a wheelchair if any, and it will be placed in the same area once I am to Orlando. Thats what I want to avoid it being lost, or damaged in flight, or for our plane change.

Unless you actually put the stroller in the closet yourself, I doubt that it went in the closet (which is usually right in front of or behind the first class area). We haven't flown on American, but when we have put my DD's wheelchair in the closet on other flights, we have had to do it ourselves and we have seen people put umbrella strollers in the closet themselves too. In order to put it in there, you have to "discuss" it with the first class flight attendants and convince them that it won't interfere with the first class customers use of the closet (or in the case of a wheelchair, that the wheelchair takes precedence over the first class hanging bags). It sometimes takes quite a bit of "discussing" to get anything into that closet.

Anything that is left in the jetway (wheelchairs, strollers) by the door of the plane is generally put in the hull with the baggage by the baggage handlers. That's where most wheelchairs go. It's sort of unusual to put one in the closet because many of the closets are not very big.

The person you talked to at American may be telling you about putting the stroller in a box more because you have expressed concern about damage to your stroller than because of any security concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter