Stroller as a Wheelchair in Restaurants

leeliani

Mouseketeer
My nephew (3 yrs) is severely artistic, and needs to be in his stroller most of the time to keep him calm. They always get him a tag for his stroller, and it’s been a big help on their trips. The one issue they’ve had is with restaurants. Some TS restaurants have been less that happy about accommodating his stroller. He won’t sit in a high chair or on a seat during the meal. He will run off the second they take him out of the stroller so taking him out isn’t an option. What I’m wondering is if any of you have suggestions for restaurants that have more space or are less busy that would be more likely to accommodate the stroller without giving my sister a hard time. She’s pretty sensitive about her son and having a cast member be less than happy would ruin the meal for her. Any personal experiences of suggestions would be appreciated.

Just keep in mind many of the restaurants are less than happy with even regular wheelchairs due to space concerns, so the locations may simply be these restaurants and it really has less to do with it being a stroller as a wheelchair and more to do with it being a wheelchair.

I think rather than focus on specific locations (as these can and do change in space available based on crowd levels) to focus more on ways to reduce the attitude about it. When checking in, let them know you have a wheelchair, do not call it a stroller as a wheelchair, just call it a wheelchair and that the person is a child that cannot transfer.

When your table is ready, make sure the stroller as a wheelchair tag is clearly visible and always call it a wheelchair.

Additionally, I know it is hard, but his mom is going to need to develop some thicker skin about this kind of stuff, otherwise it is going to be a miserable experience for her all while he is growing up as there will always be people who aren't happy about things like this and some who will be mean about it and she has to learn to either stand up to them or ignore them, but not matter what afterwards has to be able to shrug it off and no, it isn't east, but it will make life a lot better of she can learn that. I am not trying to be mean in anyway, I get being defensive and all, but at the same time there is only so much you can do and if you let the attitude from one or two people ruined your meal or day, you will never have a good meal or day.

My nephew (3 yrs) is severely artistic, and needs to be in his stroller most of the time to keep him calm. They always get him a tag for his stroller, and it’s been a big help on their trips. The one issue they’ve had is with restaurants. Some TS restaurants have been less that happy about accommodating his stroller. He won’t sit in a high chair or on a seat during the meal. He will run off the second they take him out of the stroller so taking him out isn’t an option. What I’m wondering is if any of you have suggestions for restaurants that have more space or are less busy that would be more likely to accommodate the stroller without giving my sister a hard time. She’s pretty sensitive about her son and having a cast member be less than happy would ruin the meal for her. Any personal experiences of suggestions would be appreciated.
I know it is not answer you are looking for but sometimes it is a safety reason for not letting strollers in. the aisles have to be clear how would nephew do with possibly having wheels of stroller bumped by people or staff going by because stroller back wheels are slightly in the aisle? if a staff member is caring a tray of hot food something could accidently drop on to your nephew. have your sister try his stroller at table at home. will it fit and the wheels not stick out into what would be the aisle at the restaurant. wheelchairs most times fits right up to the table where if you do that with stroller child would be under or almost under table. I am guessing your sister wants some table serve restaurants but best bet for stroller would be outdoor counter serves

As PP mentioned, there may be limited spots (tables and positions at those tables) where a wheelchair can easily get to the table/seat position and remain out of the way without blocking foot traffic. The other issue is that a stroller really cannot be pulled up to a table as a wheelchair or ECV might; the seat is typically too low, coupled with a short child in the seat, creates risk for bumping head or face on the table edge. Therefore, the stroller has to stick out further, and in already tight aisles it can be hard to find a safe spot. She may need to be willing to wait for an appropriate table to suit — which may not be a viable option with the child.

I would recommend TS meals with a booth so the child can be placed between 2 parents/adults, maybe strapped into a booster seat. Or this may just not be the time for TS; skip TS and do quick service as take-out. We often take our food out rather than staying in the crowded seating areas.

Also, she should have his therapists work with him on seating. It’s a long journey, and the younger years are so tough. Hang in there, things do get better over time.

Enjoy your vacation!

When your table is ready, make sure the stroller as a wheelchair tag is clearly visible and always call it a wheelchair.
Keep in mind, though, that the stroller-as-wheelchair tag has no actual validity in restaurants or on buses. It is for attractions only.

Keep in mind, though, that the stroller-as-wheelchair tag has no actual validity in restaurants or on buses. It is for attractions only.

And more specifically with attraction lines (plus the Land pavilion at Epcot and a few other places- gift shops-where strollers are not allowed).

quite honestly, she needs to set her expectations a little differently. most of the restaurants are CROWDED with tables being crammed in to every available spot and little to no room between them for the staff to maneuver plates of hot food. one stroller sticking out is gonna cause a huge issue. it has nothing to do with him being autistic, it has to do with the simple logistics of space that a stroller takes up..especially larger ones. all I do is note on my reservation that I have a WC. most of the time they can stick me where the walk from the front to the table is manageable. a couple places there will be stairs and there is no alternate entrance that is WC accessible.

the lighting on several is a problem too.. sci fi, Brown Derby are two that I can think of where the lighting is so dim anyone could easily trip over a stroller. 50s Prime Time may be the best TS option as the dining areas are larger with fewer seats per square footage.

or stick with CS meals. although seating inside most of them is worse.

Not what we were told when we needed it. It has no validity on buses;however, we were told it is valid everywhere within the parks.

Not what we were told when we needed it. It has no validity on buses;however, we were told it is valid everywhere within the parks.
This is what i was told too. First time we went to a restaurant with the tagged stroller they didnt even ask if she could transfer out of it, they just had us come in using the stroller. It was actually more difficult in the stroller, because it was so hard to navigate in the crowded, enclosed in area. Then at the table she couldnt comfortably reach her food. So we prefer not to bring it in with us, but we were definitely told its allowed in restaurants

This is what i was told too. First time we went to a restaurant with the tagged stroller they didnt even ask if she could transfer out of it, they just had us come in using the stroller. It was actually more difficult in the stroller, because it was so hard to navigate in the crowded, enclosed in area. Then at the table she couldnt comfortably reach her food. So we prefer not to bring it in with us, but we were definitely told its allowed in restaurants

Same here. We went with my niece a couple of years ago, and she had the stroller as a wheelchair tag for her son...never questioned once about bringing it into a restaurant, although she too found it difficult to navigate, and left the stroller outside after the first day.

I am amused that they let most tagged strollers into the restaurants but made me leave my walker outside BOG last year. Glad they let the strollers in but being able to use the walker would have been helpful. Parking it in the stroller parking was challenging. I was able to do it. I would have pressured the CM more if I didn’t think I could make it into the table though.

I wonder if it would help that when you make the TS reservation that you check the box or add the note that someone is in a wheelchair? Perhaps then they provide the extra space at the table and are more likely to seat you somewhere that it's not as much of an issue of it being in an aisle and so on. You can find it under "Food Allergy and Special Request" and on that page scroll down and check the wheelchair box. I'd think that would help so the staff can be prepared.

It may help to eat an early dinner/late lunch when the restaurants are less busy too.

I am amused that they let most tagged strollers into the restaurants but made me leave my walker outside BOG last year. Glad they let the strollers in but being able to use the walker would have been helpful. Parking it in the stroller parking was challenging. I was able to do it. I would have pressured the CM more if I didn’t think I could make it into the table though.
Why would they do that? Seriously, that is a liability for them if you fell. I would have flat out told them no.

I wonder if it would help that when you make the TS reservation that you check the box or add the note that someone is in a wheelchair? Perhaps then they provide the extra space at the table and are more likely to seat you somewhere that it's not as much of an issue of it being in an aisle and so on. You can find it under "Food Allergy and Special Request" and on that page scroll down and check the wheelchair box. I'd think that would help so the staff can be prepared.

It may help to eat an early dinner/late lunch when the restaurants are less busy too.
The wheelchair on the reservation might help.

I don't think that's even legal. they can move it out of the way once you are seated, but they have to allow you to use it to walk through the restaurant. sounds like a very poorly trained staff member; i would have reported it

I don't think that's even legal. they can move it out of the way once you are seated, but they have to allow you to use it to walk through the restaurant. sounds like a very poorly trained staff member; i would have reported it

yep I should have reported it. I was so stunned. But I can walk without it fortunately so I was OK. I should have asked them to move it after seated at the table. I believe I will do that next time. That was the only time I was asked to do that (other than Jungle Cruise which they asked me if I could park it and walk through the FP line when we had a FP. I didn't need to do the wheelchair boarding aspect but at least was offered that option.

yep I should have reported it. I was so stunned. But I can walk without it fortunately so I was OK. I should have asked them to move it after seated at the table. I believe I will do that next time. That was the only time I was asked to do that (other than Jungle Cruise which they asked me if I could park it and walk through the FP line when we had a FP. I didn't need to do the wheelchair boarding aspect but at least was offered that option.
Yes, in other words they were saying, hey we can get you through faster if you can park it and walk and that is fine, but to say you have to park it is not cool.

How old is he and would character meals be of interest?

Garden grill comes to mind- the top level has pretty flexible seating and tables/chairs shuffled a lot depending on group size. I would think accomodating your family would be doable but as. PP mentioned I would definitely mention the wheelchair when checking in.

BOG could work, it’s crowded but the music box room has more flexibility I feel. Our daughters were asleep when we went to Tony’s once and they let us bring in our double stroller no problem (granted it took us from a 5 person table to a 4 and they were insanely busy and running super late so it worked but it wasn’t horrible to navigate)

Good luck!!

A few years ago, we were able to bring our stroller as wheelchair into a couple of restaurants without issue. I don't think anyone even asked, they just assumed she wanted to stay in it since it was tagged as a wheelchair. Chef Mickeys and Yak & Yeti were two places specifically we went. Yak & Yeti was pretty tight and she ended up having a meltdown there and one of us had to leave, but Chef Mickeys went well. We are going again next week and going to try more TS this trip than last since she is a bit more tolerant of that these days, but we still plan to have the stroller as wheelchair tag. I think for most restaurants we will try to get her out and sit at the table, but it would be nice to have the option of potentially bringing the stroller in and parking it somewhere by the table if she decides she wants no part of the meal.

I've gotten much thicker skin over the years. I used to get really uptight and let comments and stress ruin my meal or day. But, it's just part of life, and it still bothers me to have attention drawn to us, but it's gotten a little easier over the years. Good luck!

That never should have happened. A walker is like a cane, it is a mobility device. People don't use them for fun, they need them. I can't believe they would even blink and eye at a walker. Next time, stick to your guns and tell them that you need it, or they can catch you if you fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter