Stroller as wheelchair and Disney buses

ColoradoMom12

DIS Veteran
We just returned from spending our Thanksgiving giving at Disney. My DD (6) has some medical needs. I usually rent a stroller for her in the parks, and she does fine waiting in short lines. This trip she was a bit run down at the beginning, and by the middle, she wasn't doing well at all and I had to get a wheelchair tag for her stroller. This was our first experience with needing accommodations at Disney. Overall it was a positive experience. It was much less stressful on her (and me) once we had the wheelchair tag.

The big question I have, if we would ever end up needing this again, is with navigating the buses. I know a stroller, even a special needs one, can't be properly secured on a bus. I am happy to fold it up. What I did mind was needing to wait in the line with everyone else. When we got to the front, I had to step to the side, help DD out, and fold the stroller. Often by the time we got onto the bus, there was nowhere left to sit. Once or twice I had to ask other people if they would mind standing. I said something like, "my daughter has a disability. Would you mind standing so that she has a place to sit?" Once the person I asked was grumpy about her bad knees (at which point I just picked DD up, prepared to hold her the entire ride) until another lady offered her seat to my DD. It was a very awkward experience for me. I don't like asking other people to stand. Is it possible for us to stand in the wheelchair spot, explain to the driver that I will fold the stroller, but I need to put my DD on first so she has somewhere to sit? What advice do those of you who've done this before have for me? Is there a better way for me to ask other guests if they mind standing? Or, if we are towards the end of a line to board the bus, should we step to the side and wait for another bus to come along, guaranteeing we will be among the first on with a place for my DD to sit?

If we are near the end of a line and we expect there may not be seats, or the bus is clearly full, we'll step to the side and wait for the next bus. My husband has bad knees and my daughter has balance issues, so I can certainly understand why the person may not have wanted to move from her seat.

Enjoy your vacation!

I was raised that I always give up my seat to women, elderly, children and those with a challenge, but that doesn't seem to be the case with many these days.

I do agree with @Hoodie though, waiting and being the first on the next bus can be painful as you wait... and wait when everyone is tired but it's probably the best move. Seems at the end of the day and everyone is beat it becomes everyone out for themselves and courtesy takes a back seat. Unfortunately a child with out a visible disability is often over looked and I think people assume if they just spent the day at the park they can stand a bit longer, which isn't the situation in your case.

Best I can say is go with the flow and don't let the turkey's get you down.

We've always just stood aside and waited for the next bus.
This is the only way you can be 100% sure for a set on the bus if you or anyone needs a set on a bus then you might have to wait for another one.

I would never ask someone else to give up a set as you can not tell by looking at someone if they have a disability just like the person you asked had a bad knee no one knew your DD has a disability.

We just returned from spending our Thanksgiving giving at Disney. My DD (6) has some medical needs. I usually rent a stroller for her in the parks, and she does fine waiting in short lines. This trip she was a bit run down at the beginning, and by the middle, she wasn't doing well at all and I had to get a wheelchair tag for her stroller. This was our first experience with needing accommodations at Disney. Overall it was a positive experience. It was much less stressful on her (and me) once we had the wheelchair tag.

The big question I have, if we would ever end up needing this again, is with navigating the buses. I know a stroller, even a special needs one, can't be properly secured on a bus. I am happy to fold it up. What I did mind was needing to wait in the line with everyone else. When we got to the front, I had to step to the side, help DD out, and fold the stroller. Often by the time we got onto the bus, there was nowhere left to sit. Once or twice I had to ask other people if they would mind standing. I said something like, "my daughter has a disability. Would you mind standing so that she has a place to sit?" Once the person I asked was grumpy about her bad knees (at which point I just picked DD up, prepared to hold her the entire ride) until another lady offered her seat to my DD. It was a very awkward experience for me. I don't like asking other people to stand. Is it possible for us to stand in the wheelchair spot, explain to the driver that I will fold the stroller, but I need to put my DD on first so she has somewhere to sit? What advice do those of you who've done this before have for me? Is there a better way for me to ask other guests if they mind standing? Or, if we are towards the end of a line to board the bus, should we step to the side and wait for another bus to come along, guaranteeing we will be among the first on with a place for my DD to sit?

The stroller as a wheelchair tag is not for bus queues, but I wonder what WDW does for those who cannot stand at all and need to be transferred from stroller to seat? There are designated HC seating at the front of the bus, and the bus driver can ask people to give up the seats if you let the driver know. The people sitting there don't have to get up (you don't have to prove a disability to sit there) but I'd hope someone would get up?

I was raised that I always give up my seat to women, elderly, children and those with a challenge, but that doesn't seem to be the case with many these days.

I do agree with @Hoodie though, waiting and being the first on the next bus can be painful as you wait... and wait when everyone is tired but it's probably the best move. Seems at the end of the day and everyone is beat it becomes everyone out for themselves and courtesy takes a back seat. Unfortunately a child with out a visible disability is often over looked and I think people assume if they just spent the day at the park they can stand a bit longer, which isn't the situation in your case.

Best I can say is go with the flow and don't let the turkey's get you down.

Why would you give up a seat just because someone is a woman? I'd think a 20 year old woman would be fine standing on a bus.

Why would you give up a seat just because someone is a woman? I'd think a 20 year old woman would be fine standing on a bus.
It is a respect, I was taught to respect the elderly, women and disabled. Now there comes an issue here where I can't stand on a bus, really I have tried, but due to my issues, I am physically unable to do so. As a result, if the OP asked if I could give up my seat, the answer would be a definite no, not trying to be rude, but it just won't work. So this is one of the many reasons that Disney really should do a better job with identifying those that use strollers and other nontraditional devices as mobility aids in the parks at the bus stations as well.

It's how I was raised to show respect and courtesy. I offer to women all the time, most will decline the offer if they are younger then me, but none the less it choose to offer it, just like I still open the door for my wife.

It is a respect, I was taught to respect the elderly, women and disabled.
Bingo!

It is a respect, I was taught to respect the elderly, women and disabled. Now there comes an issue here where I can't stand on a bus, really I have tried, but due to my issues, I am physically unable to do so. As a result, if the OP asked if I could give up my seat, the answer would be a definite no, not trying to be rude, but it just won't work. So this is one of the many reasons that Disney really should do a better job with identifying those that use strollers and other nontraditional devices as mobility aids in the parks at the bus stations as well.

I was also taught to give up my seat or hold the door for the elderly and disabled. I almost always stand on Disney buses. I always give up my seat for anyone older than me, disabled, carrying a small child, or expenctant mothers (in fact, I only attempt to sit when the bus is nearly empty). I completely understand anyone who can't give up their seat for my DD (I didn't appreciate the grumpy response I got), I just felt very strange even asking anyone in the first place. It didn't even occur to me to step aside and wait for another bus until I gave it some consideration on our flight home. We wouldn't have minded waiting. I agree that Disney needs to find a better way of giving guests who don't have a visible disability some options for the buses. In my limited experience, they do a great job in the parks, but I felt somewhat clueless about how to approach the buses. Even a suggestion from a CM to wait for the next bus would have been appreciated. I was feeling rather stressed about my DD's illness flaring up at Disney and wasn't able to think of a good solution on the spot.

for future consideration, if you explain to the driver that your child cannot stand and absolutely must be seated while the bus is in motion, they will almost certainly call for another bus immediately, just as they would for excessive mobility devices that cannot be accommodated on his bus. whether or not standing int the WC box is advisable, I really couldn't say, although if Junior cannot climb up on his own and carrying him, the stroller and the souvenir bag of mickey ears is too much it would seem to be the smart move.

On our last trip I was using a scooter at Pop and when we went to get in the scooter line there was a family with a stroller in that area. We genuinely thought they were just confused on where they were supposed to be because the regular line wasn't that long and there were no strollers in it at the time. You never know when it's someone's 1st visit or something and I would have hated for them to wait in the wrong line area and then be made to move to the regular line after that line had grown long.
So we very nicely let them know that strollers don't have to go in this area they can go through the regular line. Well we got our heads snapped off when they let us know that they had a handicapped tag for their stroller and were exactly where they belonged!!! I was SHOCKED by there response because honestly them moving didn't effect us at all we were still going to get on the next bus we were just trying to help them get in what we thought was the correct line while it was still short. I had to fight back tears (I'm a total wimp I'll admit it!) after the way they talked to us.

However, I wonder if you do have a handicap tag if you can go into the wheelchair/scooter line? Perhaps even just to let the bus driver know you may need an extra minute to get settled etc. and the tag would be proof your not trying to pull a fast one or something. Maybe this isn't allowed though, not sure.

What you were taught was sexism, as women are quite able to stand on the bus too. Not sure why men think it's respectful to say that women can't stand, only the manly man can?

It's how I was raised to show respect and courtesy. I offer to women all the time, most will decline the offer if they are younger then me, but none the less it choose to offer it, just like I still open the door for my wife.

Bingo!

See above.

On our last trip I was using a scooter at Pop and when we went to get in the scooter line there was a family with a stroller in that area. We genuinely thought they were just confused on where they were supposed to be because the regular line wasn't that long and there were no strollers in it at the time. You never know when it's someone's 1st visit or something and I would have hated for them to wait in the wrong line area and then be made to move to the regular line after that line had grown long.
So we very nicely let them know that strollers don't have to go in this area they can go through the regular line. Well we got our heads snapped off when they let us know that they had a handicapped tag for their stroller and were exactly where they belonged!!! I was SHOCKED by there response because honestly them moving didn't effect us at all we were still going to get on the next bus we were just trying to help them get in what we thought was the correct line while it was still short. I had to fight back tears (I'm a total wimp I'll admit it!) after the way they talked to us.

However, I wonder if you do have a handicap tag if you can go into the wheelchair/scooter line? Perhaps even just to let the bus driver know you may need an extra minute to get settled etc. and the tag would be proof your not trying to pull a fast one or something. Maybe this isn't allowed though, not sure.

I think it depends on the situation - if you need to transfer the child directly to a seat, can't really lift the child in the wheelchair, or the wheelchair is a specific type with tie downs, then you would need the ramp and so would get in the HC queue. But normally, stroller as a wheelchair does not go in the HC queue.

One time I saw a bunch of people with kids in strollers rushed the ramp after an ECV got on. That was crazy! The driver didn't even make them get back off - and they came from the back of the line, so some of the people waiting ahead of them missed that bus. I too would question people in the HC queue if they had a stroller.

not to offend you but do you rent a special needs stroller wile at Disney? Again not trying to be offensive or make you feel bad. but their are some special needs strollers that can be rented that are able to be tied down on the bus. Just have to get the ones with transportation tie down and you be able to use the back door and be loaded like an wheelchair and ecv. Your get on first if nonother ecv or after the be driver will tie it down. You can choose if you want her to stay in he stroller or transfer to a seat.

not to offend you but do you rent a special needs stroller wile at Disney? Again not trying to be offensive or make you feel bad. but their are some special needs strollers that can be rented that are able to be tied down on the bus. Just have to get the ones with transportation tie down and you be able to use the back door and be loaded like an wheelchair and ecv. Your get on first if nonother ecv or after the be driver will tie it down. You can choose if you want her to stay in he stroller or transfer to a seat.
We've rented a regular stroller in the past. My DD is small enough that even at 6, she still fits comfortably. Usually we don't need wheelchair accommodation, just a stroller as she's unable to walk in the parks, but her illness flared this trip and I had to get the wheelchair tag. I have been wondering what to do when she outgrows a stroller. I talked to a few families I saw around Disney with special needs strollers, and I will rent one of these in the future. Do you happen to know which models can be tied down on the buses?

Just adding that even the CM's at Disney are confused about strollers with wheelchair tags and buses. I had to explain to two CMs at the bus stops, both of whom advised me, when they saw the tag, to stand in the wheelchair spot so the driver could lower the ramp, that a stroller does not equal a wheelchair on the bus as it can't be secured. I told both of them that the driver would only lower the ramp for wheelchairs and ECV's (this is what I observed a bus driver telling someone on a previous Disney trip) and that our stroller had to be folded on the bus. They were very surprised.

Just adding that even the CM's at Disney are confused about strollers with wheelchair tags and buses. I had to explain to two CMs at the bus stops, both of whom advised me, when they saw the tag, to stand in the wheelchair spot so the driver could lower the ramp, that a stroller does not equal a wheelchair on the bus as it can't be secured. I told both of them that the driver would only lower the ramp for wheelchairs and ECV's (this is what I observed a bus driver telling someone on a previous Disney trip) and that our stroller had to be folded on the bus. They were very surprised.

The stroller as a wheelchair tag can’t be used on buses only in the park for the ride ques. The drivers don’t know about them and not trained to except them. If it not a special needs stroller then he’s they have to be folded before boarding. Back door is for ecv wheelchair and special needs strollers and guest with walker canes or other balance issues.

It not that the drivers are being mean or not understanding what you need it that they are not use to those tags. So some tell you to use handicap spot which that might be the best but still have to fold it unless it a special needs stroller. If it a regular one the drivers make but not know you need the back ramp and start boarding before getting to you. If they see ecv or special needs stroller then they know they need to board you first.

The driver when pulling up has to make sure they lined up to curb and they do it safely so they don’t have much time to look and see if the stroller needs back door. Sometimes they miss guest in ecv but having a ecv wheelchair or special needs stroller is a very helpful que to the driver to load you first.

Sorry for bad spelling and grammar and rambling on hope it clear enough if not I help clear it up.

No in particular most company’s that rent them rent the ones that can be tied down. They should say transportation tie down or something like that or email and ask them. I am sure their other did memebers that could give name or more detailed info.

Even if you rent one that can’t you can still go through the back door and transfer and fold them. The driver will treat them like wheelchairs just make sure they don’t tie them down unless they are made to some drivers don’t tie them down.

Sorry I can’t be more help on Monday del or anything like that I just know their are some and that you can use it on buses like a wheelchair.
Thanks for the advice! I will talk to some rental companies before our next trip (spring break) so that we have a better plan in place. This trip was a crash course for me in accommodations at Disney and airports. Disney is 100% better than the airport, where I was actually accused of stealing a wheelchair...the gate agent thought I'd found an abandoned wheelchair and put my child in it to try and board early?! I was taken aback. I have written a complaint to MCO.

No in particular most company’s that rent them rent the ones that can be tied down.

This is incorrect. MOST of the special needs strollers that are rented are NOT equipped for transport tie-down.

OP -- from what I've found in the past looking into this question, most if not all of the standard "baby stroller" rental companies will not have a special needs stroller designed for tie-down. The most common rentals appears to be the Liberty or Freedom pushchair, which are both like a large jogger and not equipped for tie-down. You might try a medical equipment rental company like Orlando Medical Rentals, they have some different stroller models. I think the Drive Trotter may be transport-ready as the description mentions crash-tested; I know some Convaid and OttoBock models can be equipped with a transport option but the website doesn't indicate the rentals have it.

As your daughter gets older and outgrows your family stroller, you may want to look into purchasing a special needs stroller if her fatigue is expected to continue. Your medical insurance may help to pay for it. They are quite pricey to purchase.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!