Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

Nice. Blame the victim who gets injured instead of the careless person who caused the injury. :sad2:

There are probably as many stroller crashes caused by the people walking around as there are by people with strollers not paying attention to what they are doing. As I explained in my post, one day pushing something around the parks makes that very clear.

You have to pay attention when you are walking around the parks too. If you step right in front of a stroller (or wheelchair) and get hit, you at least share in the blame for getting hit.

I also don't understand why a healthy 8 year old would be in a stroller. I took 2 strollers for our first family trip when my children were 18 months and 23 months - by mid week - we were only taking one stroller incase one of them fell asleep. Our second trip they were 3 and 4 and no strollers were taken - only on nights we stayed for extra magic hours did we rent a double. Our last trip they were 7 and 8 - strollers were not even an option.

There are probably as many stroller crashes caused by the people walking around as there are by people with strollers not paying attention to what they are doing. As I explained in my post, one day pushing something around the parks makes that very clear.

You have to pay attention when you are walking around the parks too. If you step right in front of a stroller (or wheelchair) and get hit, you at least share in the blame for getting hit.
Still won't acknowledge that the overuse of wheeled vehicles in the parks causes overcrowding? That's what contributes to the problem and why I feel that healthy kids don't need a stroller. But if you want to keep beating that same drum, have at it!

Actually it is. The last time we were in Epcot leaving the park at closing, a woman behind my cousin ran her stroller right into the back of my cousin's ankle and tore all the skin off it. It was so painful she had a very hard time walking the next day. Worse part is, the woman just turned away without apologizing and avoided making eye contact at all.

Wow! I hope that's the exception, not the rule. I just can't imagine someone doing that on purpose. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I believe you. I just can't wrap my head around someone being so wrapped up in themselves that they don't consider others at all.

Still won't acknowledge that the overuse of wheeled vehicles in the parks causes overcrowding? That's what contributes to the problem and why I feel that healthy kids don't need a stroller. But if you want to keep beating that same drum, have at it!

I've been in the parks during Spring Break and over the 4th of July, and never felt the parks were over-crowded. And I have never been mowed over by a stroller or ECV either.

A stroller or ECV doesn't take up that much more space than the person in it would really. And I would much rather enjoy my vacation than worry about something I have no control over, such as what other parents use to move their children around the parks. Why let something you can't control frustrate you so?

I'm not sure what drum you think I am beating besides the one that says to let families decide what is right for themselves. Disney won't stop families from using strollers. Why waste so much time being bothered by them? What does it help?

I've been hit by a stroller. Granted it was in NYC around Rockefeller Center 3 days before Christmas (I learned my lesson!). Mom of the year used her child to push me out of the way. I looked back to see if maybe it was an accident but she looked angry and kept doing. As soon as I was free of the crowd, I moved out of her way.

That being said, everyone "Shares the road" so to be speak. If you are a power walker (like I can be), you do have to watch out for kids, strollers, wheelchairs, people who stop suddenly, etc. Much like a car, you can't cut someone off and be surprised if they bump into you. If you have a stroller, you should be aware of what you are doing and not chit chatting with your friend not caring when you do slam into someone. Again, same as car, you could hit someone if you aren't paying attention.

There is no one group to blame more than the others, people who walk and strollers. Both have caused their own share of "accidents". I'm sure I've cut off my share of strollers. It wasn't to be rude and if I got hit, have apologized for my mistake and make sure the kid is ok. Its all about respect. Its Disney. People should be having fun!

I've been in the parks during Spring Break and over the 4th of July, and never felt the parks were over-crowded. And I have never been mowed over by a stroller or ECV either.

A stroller or ECV doesn't take up that much more space than the person in it would really. And I would much rather enjoy my vacation than worry about something I have no control over, such as what other parents use to move their children around the parks. Why let something you can't control frustrate you so?

I'm not sure what drum you think I am beating besides the one that says to let families decide what is right for themselves. Disney won't stop families from using strollers. Why waste so much time being bothered by them? What does it help?
Let's check the facts. A City Elite, single, measures 44" long and is 27.8" wide when open. That's about 8.5 square feet of space. An average adult occupies about 2.5 square feet of sidewalk space. Children take up less.

Looks like more space occupied by a stroller to me.

Much more space.

maxiesmom said:

Exactly. :) if people think it is too crowded they can stay home. :)

We have been annual passholders since 2000, usually go 4-6 times per year, and have taken our twins (using a double stroller) 6 times in the past 14 months. I don't think that there is a higher percentage of children in strollers in 2012 than there was in 2000. What I think is contributing to overcrowding of the parks is that WDW is a marketing machine and there are just more people which means more children which means more strollers. It also means more ECV's because word gets out how friendly WDW is for folks with disabilities. I am not a young mother and was childless for a long time. I just don't understand why some people waste so much energy caring about what other families do. Sure, I don't think a healthy 8 year old needs a stroller. But I could care less what other parents do. We are busy having a great time with our OWN family.

As for stroller ramming, yep, I have had it happen, rarely. There are just some rude people out there. But on the other hand, can I tell you how many people have darted in front of my stroller and stopped, or forced us to wait to walk because they are cutting us off. I have had people bump into my stroller because they weren't paying attention. It goes both ways.

. I see it as a real problem at Disney. It's one that has gotten out of hand in the MK, on the buses and on trams. It's annoying when someone wheels an 8 year old into a monorail car, running over toes and taking up twice as much floor space than what a standing child would occupy. There is no reason for a healthy 8 year old to need a stroller. Period.

I totally agree! I hate how the number of strollers has grown exponentially at Disney over the years. It is ridiculous and absolutely not needed.

A healthy 8 yr old does not need a stroller.

As for stroller ramming, yep, I have had it happen, rarely. There are just some rude people out there. But on the other hand, can I tell you how many people have darted in front of my stroller and stopped, or forced us to wait to walk because they are cutting us off. I have had people bump into my stroller because they weren't paying attention. It goes both ways.

Exactly. For every person angry at someone who hit them with a stroller, there is a person with a stroller angry because someone stopped right in front of them, causing them to hit them. Whatever accidents happen are not only the fault of the people pushing strollers.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has had nothing to say since September 24, I think it's time to let this go....popcorn::

Exactly. For every person angry at someone who hit them with a stroller, there is a person with a stroller angry because someone stopped right in front of them, causing them to hit them. Whatever accidents happen are not only the fault of the people pushing strollers.

sorry, but that isn't true. hubby was rammed into, head to head collision,by a lady running with a stroller at MK.

it was at night, he has low vision and I was holding his hand. crossing the bridge from Splash to frontierland, she was suddenly there!(going the opposite way) even I couldn't see her in time to save him. guess she figured she was in a hurry and he should step out of the way. total, HARD slam. she kept running, halfheartedly saying sorry as she was running.

no fault AT ALL on on our parts.

sorry, but that isn't true. hubby was rammed into, head to head collision,by a lady running with a stroller at MK.

it was at night, he has low vision and I was holding his hand. crossing the bridge from Splash to frontierland, she was suddenly there!(going the opposite way) even I couldn't see her in time to save him. guess she figured she was in a hurry and he should step out of the way. total, HARD slam. she kept running, halfheartedly saying sorry as she was running.

no fault AT ALL on on our parts.

I think she meant that sometimes it's the stroller pushers fault, and sometimes it's the people who stop right in the middle of the walkway. Which I agree with.

I think she meant that sometimes it's the stroller pushers fault, and sometimes it's the people who stop right in the middle of the walkway. Which I agree with.

Right. Sometimes the stroller pusher causes the accident, sometimes the person walking does.

Exactly. Only the perfect person can say they've never stopped unexpectedly or adversely affected another person.

My 5 year old once jumped over a stroller. Not good! He did immediately apologize and give the mom one of his disney pins. But it was our fault.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP has had nothing to say since September 24, I think it's time to let this go....popcorn::

:thumbsup2 I think certain ones are continuing the debate just to get in the last word. But OP is long gone...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter