Stroller for 80 lb 49” tall child

It depends on what you mean by "fit". I don't know you'd find anything that would fit with tons of room to spare, but our kids used strollers when they were that size and even a bit bigger. We never rented from WDW, I think it's a waste of money. However, they're large and I've teens riding in them (not comfortably, but they fit). I don't recall the brand name, but we had a double wide for our twins. It was basically one step up from an umbrella stroller. It worked fine. They didn't sit in it all day, just used it to get from ride to ride, so they dealt with being a little cozy in it...it wasn't ridiculously small, but enough that their shoulders touched. Only downside was that the small wheels made it harder to push. You may want to get a used jogging stroller, as they have big wheels and it's much easier to push.

We have a boy about the same height/weight and we just use a regular stroller. His knees may be round his ear (a slight exaggeration maybe!) but he doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to walk all over the parks. He sits in it watching his ipod touch, eating snacks, chilling out and all this means we can stay in the parks longer without any moans of 'I'm tired'. He obviously isn't allowed in it at any other time except in WDW parks. It was $50 from Target and this will be the 3rd year we've used the same one. The airline carry it for free so a fraction of the cost of hiring one, especially as we go for 17 days.

Mostly I'm concerned about her head fitting in the stroller, under the stroller top. Also, most strollers have a 55 lb capacity so I'm afraid it will either break or be difficult to push.

Mostly I'm concerned about her head fitting in the stroller, under the stroller top. Also, most strollers have a 55 lb capacity so I'm afraid it will either break or be difficult to push.

I can't promise anything, but I highly doubt it would break. We regularly put over 200lbs total in our double wide umbrella stroller with no issues...and we used it for years. Harder to push...sure, more weight = harder to push.

Why worry about the stroller top? Just take it off, if you don't rent one from WDW. If you do rent one, yeah, she'll have to duck. Just my own $.02, you can buy a stroller for the cost of a day or two rental from WDW.

Yeah, I was thinking that might be best. I wasn't sure her head would fit under the top part though.
We rented the old double when my kids were 4,4 and 6, probably close to 100 pounds total, my twins were above average height, my 6 year old the same height as the twins, and it was fine and easy to push.

The doubles have a weight limit of 110 lbs. (I know because my friend and I joked post-marathon that we should push me around in it.) I would ask though, and I know the every child is different, etc., etc., if a normal, healthy, active child that is big enough to go on all the rides needs a stroller or if maybe the overall pace should be adjusted to insure they aren't to the point of exhaustion. Also, is she willing to get in a stroller, again I can imagine my 5 year old niece and nephew not being too happy with the suggestion and they are far smaller than that.

I can't promise anything, but I highly doubt it would break. We regularly put over 200lbs total in our double wide umbrella stroller with no issues...and we used it for years. Harder to push...sure, more weight = harder to push.

Why worry about the stroller top? Just take it off, if you don't rent one from WDW. If you do rent one, yeah, she'll have to duck. Just my own $.02, you can buy a stroller for the cost of a day or two rental from WDW.

The tips don’t come off the Disney strollers, which is why I asked that.

The doubles have a weight limit of 110 lbs. (I know because my friend and I joked post-marathon that we should push me around in it.) I would ask though, and I know the every child is different, etc., etc., if a normal, healthy, active child that is big enough to go on all the rides needs a stroller or if maybe the overall pace should be adjusted to insure they aren't to the point of exhaustion. Also, is she willing to get in a stroller, again I can imagine my 5 year old niece and nephew not being too happy with the suggestion and they are far smaller than that.

I guess my child isn’t “normal”? She is a very tall 5 year old. She’s 49 1/2 inches tall, which is the average height of an 8 year old. So while she may be the height of an 8 year old, she will act like a 5 year old. She only started kindergarten a month ago and she is head and shoulders taller than all the other kids in her class. Attached is a pic of her compared to another kindergartener in her class, who is about the same size as the other kids.

She’s extremely active, but she doesn’t walk 5 miles per day. And I don’t really want to deal with an exhausted child at Disney. She’s simply too big for us to pick up and carry out of there if she is too tired to do it herself. I haven’t been able to pick her up for years.

Attachments

• AC0E2A90-F6F4-4E04-9EFA-725FFEE9D6B5.jpeg
    AC0E2A90-F6F4-4E04-9EFA-725FFEE9D6B5.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 145
If finding a stroller that fits is difficult, I suggest practicing with walking outings at home. My twins gave up the stroller at three. We walked every day at home, and once at WDW we took breaks when necessary and didn't do the parks morning til night. They kept up fine. Invariably when we took breaks, they would start racing around. Dh would say, "If you can race around, no complaining about the walking." For the most part they obliged.

They were appt to be free and we were happy to be stroller free. A few perks were that they are really well at meal time and slept beautifully.

They were also larger than average kids. At eight now, they are as tall as many eleven year olds. Pushing a child who is past stroller size is tough work.

I guess my child isn’t “normal”? She is a very tall 5 year old. She’s 49 1/2 inches tall, which is the average height of an 8 year old. So while she may be the height of an 8 year old, she will act like a 5 year old. She only started kindergarten a month ago and she is head and shoulders taller than all the other kids in her class. Attached is a pic of her compared to another kindergartener in her class, who is about the same size as the other kids.

She’s extremely active, but she doesn’t walk 5 miles per day. And I don’t really want to deal with an exhausted child at Disney. She’s simply too big for us to pick up and carry out of there if she is too tired to do it herself. I haven’t been able to pick her up for years.

Yep, I'm with you. If others want to point out how their kids gave up strollers, they made them walk, etc...fantastic for them. Terrific. But do what works for you. WDW is an incredibly huge place. Several days of walking can make even very physically fit adults tired, let alone kids. DW and I are extremely fit, more so than the overwhelming majority of adults...especially DW, she's more fit than 99%+ women. However, even she will get tired after a while. Our kids play sports year round, we have them working out and doing protein shakes, etc...but that doesn't mean they wouldn't get tired. So we made the decision to have them in strollers for a long time, and have absolutely zero regrets. When it was 5pm and they were still fresh as a daisy and excited, that was exactly what we were after. Sure, pushing the stroller was heavy at times, but it was good exercise for DW and I. :D

I know the tops don't come off the WDW strollers, hence why I said "...if you don't rent one from WDW. ;)

We rented a city mini from and outside stroller company when we did our first trip to WDW. We had no idea how our very active then 6.5 year old would handle the heat even in November. She was 45" and 48 lbs. Coming from the west coast of Canada where we had frost on the ground when we left to the humid 30*C is quite a change. She ended up really only using it when we were walking out of the parks to the buses and back to our room (we were in a Little Mermaid room). We went again in March 2017 when she turned 8 and said she didn't want a stroller. We just took it a bit slower, had lots of breaks, my DH could still carry her back to the room the night she fell asleep on the bus. At the time she she was 49" and 55 lbs.

I think just getting an umbrella stroller that goes up to 55 lbs will probably be ok. My daughter is 46" tall and weighs around 50 lbs. I put her in the stroller and then fill up the bottom of stroller with stuff, then hang another bag off of it (so probably adding 25+ lbs there) and it has never broken.

DS is over 4 feet tall and weighs around 50 lbs (my kids are strong beans). He is "top tall" so he has a long torso. His head doesn't hit the sun shade on DD's stroller. The weight capacity may be more your issue as many single strollers don't go up to your DD's weight. If she's pretty active, I would see how she does in the parks just walking. If she's too tired,you can always rent one in the park or rent one from an offsite company and have it delivered to your resort.

If finding a stroller that fits is difficult, I suggest practicing with walking outings at home. My twins gave up the stroller at three. We walked every day at home, and once at WDW we took breaks when necessary and didn't do the parks morning til night. They kept up fine. Invariably when we took breaks, they would start racing around. Dh would say, "If you can race around, no complaining about the walking." For the most part they obliged.

They were appt to be free and we were happy to be stroller free. A few perks were that they are really well at meal time and slept beautifully.

They were also larger than average kids. At eight now, they are as tall as many eleven year olds. Pushing a child who is past stroller size is tough work.

There’s really nothing for her to give up. She already doesn’t use a stroller. If she did, we would have one that fit her. lol. We never used a stroller, even when she was very little, except for vacations, of which we haven’t taken many. We didn’t even use a car seat carrier for her when she was a baby. We are used to getting her around ourselves and she is used to getting herself around. But Disney is a different beast. We used a stroller for our last trip and she was quite tired.

My husband will be pushing her around and he is more than capable of handling it. He’s 6’4 (that’s where she gets her height from) and built like a football player. While he technically could carry her out of the park if she’s too tired to walk, I don’t want him to have to do that. We’re going to be on vacation. My goal is to make it as easy on everyone and as enjoyable as possible.

Yep, I'm with you. If others want to point out how their kids gave up strollers, they made them walk, etc...fantastic for them. Terrific. But do what works for you. WDW is an incredibly huge place. Several days of walking can make even very physically fit adults tired, let alone kids. DW and I are extremely fit, more so than the overwhelming majority of adults...especially DW, she's more fit than 99%+ women. However, even she will get tired after a while. Our kids play sports year round, we have them working out and doing protein shakes, etc...but that doesn't mean they wouldn't get tired. So we made the decision to have them in strollers for a long time, and have absolutely zero regrets. When it was 5pm and they were still fresh as a daisy and excited, that was exactly what we were after. Sure, pushing the stroller was heavy at times, but it was good exercise for DW and I. :D

I know the tops don't come off the WDW strollers, hence why I said "...if you don't rent one from WDW. ;)

Thank you. I’m a little surprised I’m having to explain the reasons I want a stroller?? I thought that would be a fairly normal thing. Disney is a lot of walking! And you raise a great point about kids still having energy at the end of the day. I know we we will have long days and she’ll be able to get through it a lot happier (and in turn we will be a lot happier) if she’s not exhausted.

I see what you meant about the tops now. Sorry if I misread it. I appreciate the suggestion!

I think just getting an umbrella stroller that goes up to 55 lbs will probably be ok. My daughter is 46" tall and weighs around 50 lbs. I put her in the stroller and then fill up the bottom of stroller with stuff, then hang another bag off of it (so probably adding 25+ lbs there) and it has never broken.

You know, I didn’t even think of doing that. You’re right, people always pile extra stuff into a stroller. Thanks for the tip. :)

DS is over 4 feet tall and weighs around 50 lbs (my kids are strong beans). He is "top tall" so he has a long torso. His head doesn't hit the sun shade on DD's stroller. The weight capacity may be more your issue as many single strollers don't go up to your DD's weight. If she's pretty active, I would see how she does in the parks just walking. If she's too tired,you can always rent one in the park or rent one from an offsite company and have it delivered to your resort.

That’s helpful to know your DS doesn’t hit the top of the stroller. We could always do a double wide if we needed to. My main concern was that she’s fit underneath the top.

Orlando stroller rentals has a stroller that accommodates up to 75 lbs and 48 inches tall. We rented that stroller when my youngest was in kindergarten. It's called the summit x3. https://www.orlandostrollerrentals.com/OurStrollers#

We owned a bob stroller and took it when she was 4. I can't remember why we didn't take it the 2nd trip. Maybe we had sold it or didn't want to mess with it in the airport again. Kingdom strollers rents the bob. I didn't like the x3 we rented as much as I liked the bob that we owned. Bob stroller says 70 lb max but a little over shouldn't be a problem.

These 2 strollers are bulky for the bus but doable. My dh always just stood toward the back door and held the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter