Stroller for a 7 year old

GramToEmandKenn

Earning My Ears
Hello all. First time posting here and I have a question. We are bringing our 7 year old granddaughter to Disney in May (and our daughter). My granddaughter has foot issues (one foot turns in a lot, in the process of getting it checked out with an orthopedic surgeon). We were wondering if any of you have a stroller you recommend getting to help out with giving her little feet a break during the trip. I had heard about buying one for the trip and donating it for another family to use but we don't want to break the bank as far as costs are concerned. She is a tiny little girl (we nicknamed her Peanut) as she is a light weight but is tall enough for the rides. My daughter says she is 47 pounds. Thanks!

Frankly, any decent (not the $15 special) stroller from Wal-Mart, Target, Costco will work great. We had a double, for our twins, that we used until they were about 8 (and 80lbs each). I think we paid $70 for it. A single stroller like that is about $35-$40 tops. It'll be more than you need, no reason IMO to spend $150 on a stroller, or rent one. Yes, when you're done, donate it or sell it on Craigslist and get most of your money back.

Agreed with renting, the cheap ones generally aren't very tall or very comfortable. We tried doing the cheap route (we don't use strollers except at parks) on a trip to a different local amusement park, the actual stroller required us to be somewhat hunched over while pushing (my husband & I are 5'8" and 6'1", taller but not crazy tall) and our backs were aching by the end of the day; not to mention, my son was too tall for the stroller, but we used it anyway. My average height/weight 6 year old fit very well in a City Mini GT double with my 3 year old daughter.

I’m in a similar boat with my 7 year old autistic child. I went on Facebook and found a CityMini GT (thanks to this board loving them so much) and bought it for $100 which is not much more than the price to rent (I think it priced out at $70-85) and then I can Use it in the airport. After the trip, I can sell it back for the same price or a little less (depending on how badly the airport staff treats it). Either way it isn’t going to cost more than renting.

I am also either going to bring my Maclaren Volo or Uppa Baby g-luxe for my nearly 4 years old child. I figure we can park the umbrella (maclaren and g-luxe) and use the city mini as the one with the stroller as a wheelchair tag. Then my daughter can hop in if she wants when he’s not using it (he likes to walk but will suddenly get tired and flop on the ground and there’s no moving him....he also tends to have boundary issues so the stroller will help in lines). Originally I wanted to just bring both those single strollers that I already have but I find it hard to push him in those strollers and I heard the city mini is easier to push with its tires when fully loaded.

You can rent one for $65 for 7 days. We have brought our own and rented and in my opinion it was so much easier to rent. Orlando Stroller Rentals and Kingdom Stroller Rentals are both excellent. And another great thing about having a stroller - it can hold all your stuff!

Edited to add: We rented the CityMini GT

Unless you feel she will need it at the airport, I would rent a GT. Most places it also comes with a rain cover for no extra charge. This is important because the rain cover made specifically for the stroller covers the best by far. (Been there done that). And it is really pricey if you have to buy it.

Yes, you can bring it and gate check the stroller. Since she can bring it, I'd do that.

I brought a stroller for my 7 year old, and he was also tiny. It was so useful.

I am renting the GT for my 6 year old as well. She is also super tiny. It is so much easier than traveling with one and they deliver right to the resort and will pick up from there.

City Mini GT is the way to go, the upgraded wheels over the standard city mini is a must around the parks, much more comfortable to push and easier to track across different terrain.

As someone suggested above, if you can find one locally for sale at a good price, you can use it and then sell it for the same price when you get back! Great deal if you can find them. The second hand market for higher end strollers is very strong, so selling it won't be an issue if you can get a good deal in the first place. The Size of the GT will allow you to easily accommodate your 7yr old. My 12 year old trys to sneak in there lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter