Stroller for older child with fractured ankle

Roobear77

Mouseketeer
I know there are a multitude of stroller threads kicking around, but our situation is sightly different than usual.

We have 2 DDs, 7 and 5 years old. We are going to WDW the second week in December, and this was supposed to be our first stroller free trip. Yay!

Then my ODD fell out of a tree onto a rock 2 weeks ago. Fractured her ankle through the growth plate (they think). She is in a walking boot, and is getting reassessed by the fracture clinic next week. Whether or not they say she can stop wearing the boot, there is no way the girl will be able to handle the kind of walking we do at disney.

Hubby has agreed (reluctantly) that we will need a stroller for this trip. And of course, if the big one gets to ride, the little one will want to too. Not really wanting to go with Disney strollers for all the usual reasons, including that last year we caved and got one and the two of them were squashed in like sardines.

ODD is about 55lbs and leggy, YDD is 37 lbs and short. I am wondering if we could get away with renting either a City Mini GT (says 65 lbs per child) or if we could use the Joovy Caboose sit n' stand.

Thoughts?

I'd go for whatever folds easily, as you'll need to be able to assist you older daughter on/off the buses. Perhaps get a stroller as a wheelchair tag at guest services so you can use it in the queues.

Well I looked at the specs for both strollers, and the sit n' stand is definitely not going to work, she is just too tall and heavy. I think we will go with the City Mini GT, even though it says weight limit of 50 lbs per seat we can make it work. If she is too tall for the sunshade we just won't close it.

If she is still booted we will go with the tag. If she is allowed to be boot free we are going to still bring it with us for support when she gets sore, and will decided on the tag once we see what the crowds are like.

Thanks!

I would look at one of the jogging strollers - either the citimini or more likely the summit. With that much kid in a stroller you want the one that pushes the best/easiest. a sit and stand would be difficult push.

Well I looked at the specs for both strollers, and the sit n' stand is definitely not going to work, she is just too tall and heavy. I think we will go with the City Mini GT, even though it says weight limit of 50 lbs per seat we can make it work. If she is too tall for the sunshade we just won't close it.

If she is still booted we will go with the tag. If she is allowed to be boot free we are going to still bring it with us for support when she gets sore, and will decided on the tag once we see what the crowds are like.

Thanks!
May I suggest that you go with the tag, either way. That way, is she is having a hard time, you won't have to go back to Guest Relations to get the tag.

Just because she has the tag, doesn't mean that she has to be in the stroller all of the time.

You didn't say how TALL she is - which can be another factor with a stroller. My 7 year old niece is quite tall - and there's no way she would be comfortable in a standard, mass-produced stroller. What about a small wheelchair rental for the week?

I would check the height on the GT, a double may work, its guaranteed the five year old will want to ride. I had a similar situation in may when my 75 pound 9 year old sprained his ankle during our trip. I tried putting him in my 4 year olds citi mini and she had a fit the entire time, even though she had walked almost the entire trip prior to that. It was beyond the wt limit but this is my personal stroller not a rental and it held ok but he was way too tall and it looked ridiculous. Because I had a 9, 7, and 4 year old I ended up renting a plastic Disney stroller (double) for 2 days because it was more convenient than a wheelchair for the price when you factor in the 7 year old that would have been the only kid walking (and she is a tiny 7 yr old looks 5). Pushing over 100 pounds of kids is not too fun, I wouldn't do that if it weren't for the fact he had an injury and we had 2 days left in our trip. We did use the personal stroller as a wheelchair for long ques for the 9 year old. At his size if the 7 year old wasn't a factor I would have just rented a small adult wheelchair.

Whichever way you go, definitely get the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag! A small wheelchair vs a stroller could prevent you from needing to get a double stroller for the other LO

At 55lb, taller and 7 years old, I would get a wheelchair instead. She’ll be much more comfortable and not feel babyish. If she’s cramped in a stroller she may not want to sit in it as long as she needs to because she’s bent over.

You might need to consider a wheelchair. Or if she is still in a boot it might be benifical to get a DAS Pass for the week as she won't be able to stand for long periods of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!