Stroller or Wheelchair for ASD DS9

Dawson'sMom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

DS9 has Asperger's Syndrome. :goodvibes On our past trip we have rented double strollers in the parks for him. We leave next Saturday for our Christmas trip. :santa: He has gone through a growth spurt since our last trip. Both in height and in weight. :banana: He was also born with a club foot and had surgery when he was 8 months old. The leg and foot can't hold out for a full day of walking in the parks. When his leg gets tired he can easily have those Aspie meltdowns. :rotfl2: I am concerened about him fitting into the double stroller this year. And there is know way that he can have enjoyable vacation or us for that matter if we make him walk. :scared1: DH is not sure about pushing him in a wheelchair. :sad2: I don't see anything wrong with it if he can't fit into a double stoller.:confused3

Anybody have any other ideas?

What do you think I shoud do?

In another thread on this board, there's a picture of the new double strollers at MK. Most likely, any nine year old who has undergone a growth spurt will not fit comfortably in this new, smaller version.

I put a picture of the new strollers in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in post #2 (thanks to a helpful poster who started a thread on the new strollers).
You will also find links to companies that rent special needs strollers in post #2.
A special needs stroller might be a better fit for your child - the park rental wheelchairs are almost adult size and would be too big for even a large 9 yr old. The footrests are not adjustable and would be too low for him to rest his feet on. The seats are sling seats (think of director's chairs) and would be at least 16 inches wide. Many people with ASD don't like the insecure feel of a sling seat that is too big.
A lot depends on just how particular your child is to how things like that feel, but for many kids the special needs strollers provide a more secure feeling. They are also easier to fold up and bring on the bud or in a car.

Hi, Dawson's Mom!

I'm Reed's mom. (And Zack & Kevin, too!):dance3: I've been planning for our March trip when guess what? We have been unexpectedly blessed with the opportunity to take a trip to WDW this month, too! We arrive on the 13th.

DD7 has autism. She is large for her age. We, too, have used the double strollers each trip in the past for her. Between the shrinking of the MK double strollers, her growth, and the price of rental from WDW I have been leaning toward an outside rental. My research has me decided on a special needs stroller from Orlando Stroller Rentals. Our experience won't benefit you since we'll be there at the same time, but I do plan to post feedback here on the stroller & company when we return. Do check Sue's post to research the different companies and choices of "rides" ;)

Are you staying on site? We will be at the POR- Alligator Bayou this time & 2 rooms at the Pop in March. Let me hear from you if you'll be near us!

P.S. Some other considerations in favor of outside stroller rental.....
1. Much less expensive than in-park double stroller rental.
2. If he's "done" at the end of the day you just roll right out the gates with him in the stroller and he can ride to & wait in it for the bus, or to your car, etc. Might be a real help in that aspect.
3. Companies will deliver & pick-up stroller to your hotel. You do not need to be present for either.

I also think renting from an offsite company may give you the most flexibility. Plus, then the chair/stroller is the "same" for the whole trip.

Good luck!
Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter