Stroller rental

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Plans have changed and I may now take my 5 year old by myself. I’m looking at stroller options and was wondering how the strollers are in the park? Can you tell me pros and cons about renting them? I’m not too sure if I can handle luggage and stroller and a 5 year old all at once. (1st time travelling alone with him!)

Are you staying onsite and how are you traveling?

The one thing about renting disney strollers is not having one at the end of the day. So the wait/ walk for the bus, you might be carrying your child. On the other hand you don't want to have to try to hold a child and a huge stroller on a bus. I'd get something a bit better than a umbrella stroller.

We have always rented a stroller from a rental company. They can deliver to your resort that way you have them outside of the parks. The strollers that Disney have are hard plastic. My kids have fallen asleep in the strollers at the end of the night and I was so happy to be able to push them to bus stops.

Are you staying onsite and how are you traveling?

The one thing about renting disney strollers is not having one at the end of the day. So the wait/ walk for the bus, you might be carrying your child. On the other hand you don't want to have to try to hold a child and a huge stroller on a bus. I'd get something a bit better than a umbrella stroller.
Staying onsite, I do have a Maclaren at home which we generally use to travel. I guess I have to figure out how to lug it to the airport, lol. We’re flying from Canada.

Sorry I don't know the rules for flying from Canada, but can you do curbside checking at the airport? Use a backpack for a carryon bag, that way you have one hand for stroller and a hand for child (if they don't want to be in stroller).

The other choice would be buying a stroller and have it sent to the resort. I knew a person that every year for their son, they bought a stroller, used it for a week, and then gave it away. They didn't want or need one at home and they figured you spend $50 for a stroller, it's cheaper than renting from disney for a week.

Of course you could rent from an outside company. Pretty sure that's cheaper than disney.

I've never traveled with a child alone. I'm just trying to give some ideas. I'm sure others who had traveled with kids as the only adult will come up with better suggestions.

Last edited:
Another vote for curbside or skycap service at airport(s) if available as it will make the travel less cumbersome. Otherwise using wheeled luggage and hand holding at the airport should be fine with or without the closed stroller. Should you feel your 5 y/o is up to being mom's helper let her/him roll the closed stroller to the gate; some children enjoy the responsibility of doing "adult" stuff:).
Have fun no matter what you opt to do!

Sorry I don't know the rules for flying from Canada, but can you do curbside checking at the airport? Use a backpack for a carryon bag, that way you have one hand for stroller and a hand for child (if they don't want to be in stroller).

The other choice would be buying a stroller and have it sent to the resort. I knew a person that every year for their son, they bought a stroller, used it for a week, and then gave it away. They didn't want or need one at home and they figured you spend $50 for a stroller, it's cheaper than renting from disney for a week.

Of course you could rent from an outside company. Pretty sure that's cheaper than disney.

I've never traveled with a child alone. I'm just trying to give some ideas. I'm sure others who had traveled with kids as the only adult will come up with better suggestions.
yeah thanks for brainstorming with me... Hard to think of how to handle it. In Toronto we need to go through US customs and immigration with our luggage hence it’s a long way in with everything. Buying the stroller may be an option, need to find out where and what is cheaper. I’ve looked at outside companies, stroller they rent out looks bigger like city minis which I really don’t want to deal with on the bus rides to and from the hotel. (I’m small, barely 90lbs so it’s going to be pretty hard to deal with large things!) using the ones in the parks seem ideal but it looks hard and uncomfortable.

I used to travel alone with DD when she was 3. I used an umbrella stroller, one large suitcase, and a backpack as your carry-on (at 5 your child should be old enough for his own small backpack carry-on for his toys). Hang his backpack on the stroller when pushing it with 1 hand, and pull a wheeled suitcase in the other. I used to walk a few city blocks so it's do-able, and probably easier to get through an airport which has smoother floor surface than sidewalks. Make use of curbside check-in or skycaps when you can.

Alternatively, if you think your son doesn't need the stroller to get around the airport (like for Customs) but you want it for WDW - bring a luggage strap to connect the folded umbrella stroller to your suitcase that you pull. Either hold hands or require that he also hold the suitcase handle to "help" you pull it.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

A 5 year old can probably get by with just a stroller at the park. I normally say rent offsite, but buses might be an issue if you can get seats and you are trying to keep yourself, your child, and your stroller from falling over.

My 5 year old has not ridden in the stroller at all this trip, so I think if yours rests his legs at the parks he will have enough energy to walk to and from the bus.

We rented from WDW when the youngest were 4/4/6 (a double) because I didn’t need for them to nap, and they were perfectly capable of walking. We stayed at the BC, and they walked to and from Epcot and DHS with no problem (like most kids their ages).

Many 5 year olds don't even need a stroller in the parks, especially if it's just the one kid and a parent who can slow down and go at the kid's pace. How about just playing it by ear and renting one in the parks as needed?

There are stroller rental companies that offer strollers for rent and deliver right to your resort. Check out Orlando Medical Rentals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!