Strollers for an older and younger child

daniw413

Earning My Ears
Ok everyone. I’ve read a hundred articles, blogs, forums, you name it on traveling with a 2 and 6 year old. Single or Double strollers. Wing it, don’t won’t it. Ugh! We are going to Disney World in July 2021 and staying at CBR ... and I just can’t decide. Anyone with personal experience please chime in. Thank you!

When our grandkids were that age, we used a sit and stand. The one I bought had no sun shield over the back , so I rigged something. One problem we had was the younger wanted to sit in the back with big brother. Cooler sat in front seat, Big brother sat facing backward, little brother sat facing foward with feet in basket where the cooler would be. hmmm looking back....rent a citi mini double....LOL

Stroller. If you don't personally have a double, I would rent one. We own a Joovy Ultralight Caboose sit and stand, so that is what we bring. It's nice to have a place to stash the snacks, refillable water bottles, diapers/extra underwear, wipes, etc. that is not carried on your back all day in the heat. It's nice to be able to keep track of the kids when it gets busy/hectic...I'm thinking of pre-pandemic rope drop or leaving after fireworks. My boys are 2.5 yrs apart and we've been twice. Once when they were 5.5 & nearly 3, and 7 & 4.5.

When our grandkids were that age, we used a sit and stand. The one I bought had no sun shield over the back , so I rigged something. One problem we had was the younger wanted to sit in the back with big brother. Cooler sat in front seat, Big brother sat facing backward, little brother sat facing foward with feet in basket where the cooler would be. hmmm looking back....rent a citi mini double....LOL
LOL thank you!

Stroller. If you don't personally have a double, I would rent one. We own a Joovy Ultralight Caboose sit and stand, so that is what we bring. It's nice to have a place to stash the snacks, refillable water bottles, diapers/extra underwear, wipes, etc. that is not carried on your back all day in the heat. It's nice to be able to keep track of the kids when it gets busy/hectic...I'm thinking of pre-pandemic rope drop or leaving after fireworks. My boys are 2.5 yrs apart and we've been twice. Once when they were 5.5 & nearly 3, and 7 & 4.5.
And how is the maneuverability with the sit & stand? I’ve read that it’s hard to maneuver in the crowds.

Get a stroller. We usually rent a Citi Mini Double from Kingdom Strollers.
I have used Kingdom Strollers in the past too. They were great. I was worried about my six year old fitting in a double. She’s average size, just didn’t know if she’d fit.

Get a double stroller.. don't wing it.. we have used Magic Strollers and Kingdom Strollers- both were good. We got the Citi Mini GT and it worked find for the older child (mine are super tall).

I second the City mini double GT. We bought one years ago and it’s paid for itself time and time again. Our 5yo (soon to be 6, is a very large child (48” rides now) and still fits fine!

And how is the maneuverability with the sit & stand? I’ve read that it’s hard to maneuver in the crowds.
I specifically picked that stroller due to it's size specs. The depth was shorter than other sit & stands, I want to say 6 inches longer than a standard stroller. When folded it was more compact than others, too, about 10 inches less thick. Any trouble I had with maneuverability came when we were maxing out the weight limit. I have no experience with any other sit & stand besides my SIL's triple...that was a beast.

I would not buy a new stroller for your trip. I would rent or buy a used one in your area. I'm a big fan of gate checking a stroller at the airport, containment for youngest kid, place to centrally locate all personal items, and cup holders.

I had no trouble moving thru crowds with the stroller. But have to say the front seat is short/small. . If you had a big/extra tall toddler they may not be comfortable. And of course the back is just a bench, no taking naps.

My DD has a city mini double, I found that one to be harder going thru crowds because of the width, but not terrible.

We did this exact trip in the heat of summer. We took 1 stroller. The 6 year old walked all but one time. The 2 year old walked a lot too, so then the stroller just he’d our crap. Next trip will be with a 4 and 8 year old and there will be no stroller.

We have the Joovy Scooter side by side and I highly recommend it and love it in the parks.. that was until this weekend on the Skyliner. It was a nightmare to fold up and drag in and out. It wasn’t as stressful on the bus but terrible on the Skyliner. I’m seriously questioning bringing a single stroller also at the end of the month when we stay at Yacht club for our HS day. It was that bad.

How confident are you that the 6 yo can/will walk? If so, I'd opt for a quality umbrella stroller for the younger kid and not worry about the older kid.

After struggling with the full size strollers and cheap umbrella strollers with out two older kids, we finally broke down and bought a MacLaren for our 3rd kid. Best thing we ever did! The thing is a beast for its size and weight and SUPER easy to fold up and carry onto the buses/Skyliner etc. BTW - kid #3 just turned 7 and walked without any issues on our recent trip. It was SO NICE not having to worry about the stroller!

We did do the Sit/Stand for our two older kids when they were younger too (kid #2 and #3 are 9 years apart). That did not go as planned. My oldest was very lazy and spent most of the time in the sit part where we expected the younger of the two to be.

I specifically picked that stroller due to it's size specs. The depth was shorter than other sit & stands, I want to say 6 inches longer than a standard stroller. When folded it was more compact than others, too, about 10 inches less thick. Any trouble I had with maneuverability came when we were maxing out the weight limit. I have no experience with any other sit & stand besides my SIL's triple...that was a beast.

I would not buy a new stroller for your trip. I would rent or buy a used one in your area. I'm a big fan of gate checking a stroller at the airport, containment for youngest kid, place to centrally locate all personal items, and cup holders.
Thanks for the feedback!
We have the Joovy Scooter side by side and I highly recommend it and love it in the parks.. that was until this weekend on the Skyliner. It was a nightmare to fold up and drag in and out. It wasn’t as stressful on the bus but terrible on the Skyliner. I’m seriously questioning bringing a single stroller also at the end of the month when we stay at Yacht club for our HS day. It was that bad.
ugh...that’s what I’m afraid of since we’ll be using the Skyliner

Depending on the size of your 6 year old, I highly recommend the Englacha Junior X rider (I think it may have been updated and is now called the Cozy Rider or Cozy X rider). It is a seat/ board that attaches to the back of a single. It holds a kid up to 55 lbs. You can remove the seat and just have them stand on the skateboard like attachment if you want. We attach it to the back of a single Bob. One of the best purchases I have ever made and we always get questions/comments about it wherever we go. Only issue is they can't sleep in it, but we have a carrier that fits up to 60 lbs, so we will bring that too when we travel next year with a 2 yr old and 5 year old. This year we brought 2 singles when they were 4 and 1. Singles are so much easier than a double if you have 2 adults on your trip. We didn't have to fold them on the Skyliner and could maneuver them on boat transportation. We had a sit and stand, but I hated it. We called it "the bus" because that's how it drove. For what it's worth, when I went as a kid, my then 5 yr old sister walked everywhere for 4 whole park days, but I don't think I would go without at least a standing board attachment for tired feet at that age.

Definitely use a double for those ages! We've had the Uppababy G-Link since my youngest was 2 months old... it's side-by-side umbrella stroller with tall seats. My 6 year old can still fit, and while we barely use it anymore on a day-to-day basis, it's a whole different thing at WDW. We did a big family reunion trip, and even my 7.5 year old niece was able to fit in the seats too. My SIL didn't bring a stroller so she ended up renting a double at the parks.

Definitely use a double for those ages! We've had the Uppababy G-Link since my youngest was 2 months old... it's side-by-side umbrella stroller with tall seats. My 6 year old can still fit, and while we barely use it anymore on a day-to-day basis, it's a whole different thing at WDW. We did a big family reunion trip, and even my 7.5 year old niece was able to fit in the seats too. My SIL didn't bring a stroller so she ended up renting a double at the parks.
Thank you! How easy is it to fold up? We’ll be using the sky liner and busses on property and will have to fold it up

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter