• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers--to rent or to buy and donate???

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
I thought I had this all figured out! Was planning to bring our double stroller and we would be set. (Have three kids--6, 2, and 1 and are staying offsite and driving down from MN)

However, I did a packing pre-run this eve and am finding out that the double stroller, which I thought could stand up in the back end of the van, can't. If I lay it down, I only have room for one suitcase. That is not going to cut it. The single fits standing up and leaves room for a second suitcase, but that leaves us pushing two strollers. So, now what? Is there a decent kids store where I could buy a double stroller while down there and then donate it somewhere? The rental places sound good, but the prices add up fast when you are staying more than a week. I have noticed that All About Kids is a bit cheaper than A Baby's Best Friend, but can't find any feedback about them.

I need help--we leave FRIDAY!

Have you thought about taking 2 singles and joining them together with one of those plastic joiners? It sounds like that may be the best option in your case.

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I ordered the kolcraft side by side from babycenter.com along with 2 car seats to be shipped directly to the hotel. I think the stroller with 10% discount was $52.00. I chose to order car seats because I didn't want to pay the exhorbitant rental fees. I ordered my stuff last thursday and I called ther hotel today and it was already there.

Since we are flying this just worked out better for us, If I can find a place to donate them fine, it not I will just check them at the airport.

Momtomootoo; I think this sounds like a great idea. I've been looking for a site that had decent prices on double strollers. Question for you though--Are you going to have to put that stroller together? Every stroller we have purchased except a peg perego required assembly and I am not sure I want to deal with that on vacation! Cooking I can handle, stroller assembly is pushing it:rolleyes:

I went to our local BabiesRus and checked it out and the 2 bigger kids do a test ride. It seems fine. It is an umbrella stroller, so I think there really is no set up or very minimal. My kids are 3 & 5 and it was fine to push although the handles were a little low. Of course while I was there I spotted a great lightweight Combi for the baby at a great price, so we will bring that on the plane. If you doe use BABYCENTER.COM i think that they still may have free shipping. Also check out the Decco Strloller Sak. I ordered on of those.. I'm sure with all the shipments that at the hotel in my name they will think we are staying for a month!!

Goood Luck.

Laura

I bought a Graco stroller at a consignment shop for $10!!! (All strollers were the same price.) It was practically new and works perfectly! (We've taken it for many "test" spins). I didn't want to take my expensive (and heavy!) Peg Perego stroller on the plane to Disney, only to have it broken by baggage handlers or lost in the parks -- and this other stroller folds up so easily and is MUCH lighter. I'm so pleased with my purchase!! I considered buying an inexpensive stroller specifically for the trip, and looked at several online, but, on the advice of a friend, checked out a second-hand baby store nearby. I am so glad that I did! I know that the timing isn't very good for you (since you are leaving on Friday), but maybe there's still a little time to find something. Good Luck!!

Well thanks for the idea, but the problem is not that we don't HAVE a double--we have two actually but we don't have room in the van if we want to bring any suitcases. Hey, there's a thought! Maybe we should bring the stroller and just buy all new clothes.

Seriously, I think I will be renting a double from All About Kids rental. I am calling them tomorrow and will see what the scoop is

Oops DisneyMom, I read your post and then moved on to the replies, and FORGOT that the problem was that you can't FIT the double stroller (NOT that you didn't want to bring your nice one.) I've read several posts about other moms (like ME) wary about travelling with their nice stroller, leaving it in the parks, etc... and I was excited that I found a decent used stroller at a consignment shop which solved my problem -- and wanted to share. ;) I'm sorry that my reply wasn't very helpful!! :D :D

I hope that All About Kids works out for you. Let us know how it goes!! I rented baby items once on a previous vacation (not Disney) and the convenience was WELL worth the extra money. The stroller, playpen, high chair, crib etc... was all set up for us when we arrived, and taken care of when we left, and we didn't have to do a thing!! I loved it.

What about a rooftop carrier (if your van has rails on top) for the luggage so you can bring the stroller you have?

We bought a softsided one last year (from Wal-Mart for around $30) that works great, although now we are thinking of purchcing a hard shell roof-top carrier because it can be locked for $75 (on sale at Farm and Fleet).

Just another idea.
Cathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter