Strollers vs. Walking when it's raining

flowergleam1211

Mouseketeer
Hello! My question is for those of you who have kid(s) who have the endurance and (general) will to walk around in a park but you normally enjoy having a stroller for the ease, speed, and back-up form of transporting them around when they get tired.

If you are planning a park day on a warm/hot day that has a weather forecast of scattered showers and thunderstorms for every hour up until 10 PM, would you choose to have the whole group walk around with umbrellas as opposed having the kids sit in the stroller? The idea of using a rain cover sounds hot and uncomfortable as does the idea of sitting in a rain soaked stroller. I do realize that a stroller-less park experience means a slower-paced day, but I'm wondering if that's a better alternative then me pushing a stroller in the rain and kids sitting in a stroller in the rain.

I'm from Kansas. We don't do umbrellas, because the wind will rip that nonsense out of your hand in about a second.

I would do rain ponchos, or just be wet until we go back to our room for our break. I would still bring the stroller and toss a poncho over it while we're in line.
If there's a good rain cover for your stroller, then I'd use it. Kids aren't as sensitive to heat as we are, and will generally prefer to be dry. But, if you're looking at a third party aftermarket rain cover, then I'd probably skip it.
My rain cover for our City MINI is awesome. It provides good coverage, but just folds up in the canopy when not in use. The one for the Joovy Caboose isn't as awesome, because it's not easy to get in and out of the stroller with the cover on and you can't just fold it up out of the way, when you don't want to use it.

I’m also team ponchos and stroller cover. I don’t use umbrellas very often and definitely not in an amusement park. If your child is old enough to tell you they’re hot you can pull up the rain cover a bit to let in air. Is be more concerned about an infant or a sleeping child overheating than a preschooler.

Ponchos and a stroller cover, but I don't think I've ever used a stroller cover...I've also somehow never had rain at WDW since I had kids 🤔

I'd do the stroller. Kids walking in the rain with an umbrella /poucho , although fun for them, I can see running to jump in every puddle, having sword/light saber fights,

When our kids were little, we had a rule, one could only jump in puddles on the way home. Going into stores dripping wet isn't a great idea.

It really depends on how old your kids are and just your kids specifically. My son hated using a stroller as soon as he could walk so we didn't use one. Maybe twice late in the afternoon he wouldn't be ready to go back to the room but dog tired so we rented a Disney one. He just put a poncho on when it rained and went about his day. Of course, being a boy, every puddle had to be splashed in but as long as he wasn't splashing other people and just himself, I let him enjoy.

As for stroller covers, if you go that route make sure you have one that covers the entire stroller including the feet and things under it. I can't tell you how many really unhappy little ones I've seen the parks because the covers didn't cover their feet or the insides got wet. Even if you use a stroller and a cover, have some sort of rain gear for the kid. Again, so many unhappy little ones because the covers weren't good and they didn't have ponchos. You do have to take them out of that stroller at times so they need their own ponchos. Always make sure you put the cover on the stroller when it's parked. Nothing like coming off a ride and a pop up shower came and got everything wet. I wouldn't go umbrellas for them, they probably wouldn't hold them right or keep them out of other people's way. I do use one at the parks but I'm an adult and know how to guide it so it doesn't poke anyone else. We also keep a very large one to put over my grand daughter's stroller (she has been when she was 8 months old and 18 months old) to help shade the sun.

100% stroller. An umbrella isn't sufficient in a downpour and there will be some standing water. A/C will be blasting inside the buildings so if your kid gets wet walking/splashing through puddles, they're going to be miserable and uncomfortable going inside anywhere or on rides.

PONCHOS. If the little is going to be bothered by that (most kids seem to enjoy poncho life) then do the stroller with a cover. Once we had unexpected rain so we had no cover but used a poncho over it, was dry enough. But only once, we pretty much had our kids walking when they could and we all had ponchos.

Umbrellas are a pain to carry, they pour water over other guests and with crowds often an eye hazard.

Hello! My question is for those of you who have kid(s) who have the endurance and (general) will to walk around in a park but you normally enjoy having a stroller for the ease, speed, and back-up form of transporting them around when they get tired.

If you are planning a park day on a warm/hot day that has a weather forecast of scattered showers and thunderstorms for every hour up until 10 PM, would you choose to have the whole group walk around with umbrellas as opposed having the kids sit in the stroller? The idea of using a rain cover sounds hot and uncomfortable as does the idea of sitting in a rain soaked stroller. I do realize that a stroller-less park experience means a slower-paced day, but I'm wondering if that's a better alternative then me pushing a stroller in the rain and kids sitting in a stroller in the rain.
We'd pick stroller with rain cover for kids under 7. We also keep the rain cover on the stroller when we're doing stuff in case of rain. - This prevents rain soaked stroller. My kids have lil fans they could use, but I don't think they've ever used them in the stroller while it's been raining. They mainly use it with sun. I push the stroller with one hand and have an umbrella for myself. Not the most fun, but doable.

We used to only do ponchos, which worked, but they're kinda annoying. Hot, sticky and then you have to take it off for rides etc., so it was just easier to do an umbrella.

Last edited:
Ponchos and stroller. I would not attempt umbrellas. Where would you put them on rides? We had one very rainy trip. Everyone claimed it would be the typical afternoon rain showers and…it was definitely not😬 Just a lot of rain for several days straight. Kids were 6 and 3, so we had a double stroller. It ended up wet to the point it wasn’t drying overnight, but we just went with it. Extra ponchos are a great thing to have because the kids can sit on them in the stroller. We still had fun and actually got on lots of things with minimum waits due to the weather.

I'll answer my own question. After all that thinking and planning for rain during our time in the parks, it never actually rained with the exception of a light sprinkle. But I'm glad I came prepared!
That is probably why it didn’t rain, cause you were prepared

Forget the umbrellas for all the reasons already stated. If you buy cheap ponchos before your trip and bring them along, the smug glow of satisfaction at not having to pay the ridiculous Disney prices will almost compensate for any bad weather.

With some unsettled weather in the forecast this week can you rent strollers at MK and if so are they covered at all or just a fold up fabric stroller?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter