Struggling

I have not cruised before. Royal had the date we needed to travel and the place. so that's how I picked Royal. I booked via a phone call to Royal and the person that took my reservation was wonderful as I booked 3 reservations at the same time. My two children and their spouses have been invited to go along. I first booked, September 2018 for an August 2019 cruise, inside cabins and gave the kiddos the option to upgrade if they wanted. They chose to do balcony, I upgraded 3 weeks later for all of us. Again I had a great experience talking to them on the phone and everything was handled perfectly. First I am so glad I booked that far in advance as balcony cabins were sold out months ago and the cruise itself has been just about sold out within the last 2 months. So I'm guessing it's a pretty decent cruise itinerary and place to visit (Nova Scotia). Since it is my first cruise I am loaded with questions and every time I think of something I give a call to Royal, I have even connected with the same person a couple times. They answer every question I have and in the end make sure I understand. They other day I called and got my "friend" Kevin on the phone again and had a question on shore excursions on the app. He made sure I logged into my computer I was sitting at and walked me through finding the shore excursions specific to my cruise. I am very happy with their customer service to this point and looking forward to our cruise.

Someone else asked something similar so I figured I'd ask my question.

We are traveling in a 2 bedroom suite and my aunt is in the room next to ours (not suite class). On DCL, usually they allow her to board with us. Traveling alone and what not. We've never asked and were ready to board with her. DCL offered.

So I asked if RCCL does that. Got an unkind response stating we should just wait with her.

I'm sure we are going to have a blast :) we will be with family and, duh, cruising.
Don't know if you have traveled yet, but you could always get your aunt the Key. That way, she boards with suite guests and can sit in the reserved seats right behind the suite guests during shows. She will also get priority debarkation with you.

Don't know if you have traveled yet, but you could always get your aunt the Key. That way, she boards with suite guests and can sit in the reserved seats right behind the suite guests during shows. She will also get priority debarkation with you.

We haven't. Every time I look, the Key isnt available. I did have that thought to get it for her.

I dont know if the Key is sold out or just not available yet for our sailing. It is July 2020.

Completely agree with this statement. Disney is probably the best for young kids, but once they get a little older, I'm pro-Royal. It's such a great family friendly ship with tons of amenities (more depending on the ship) , many good food options (esp on Oasis class and I think Quantum), amazing entertainment, and fun activities going all day.

OP..maybe I missed it, but did you say what ship you selected? Royal has tons of ships with different classes , which can differ in entertainment and amenities. As for feeling the magic...their ships are beautiful and there is certainly a 'wow' factor.

This is us! When my daughter was a little over 6 she was pretty much done with the princesses, etc. She doesn't go in the kids clubs and wanted more "active" activities. We went on the Oasis and that was it! We loved it - so MANY pools (a biggie for us!) and we loved the shows - so many family friendly shows, not to mention all the great dining options including a dinner BUFFET...woo hoo! After that it was onto the Allure (an even better experience and our favorite ship) and in November we were on the Harmony. We just have to find time to check out the Symphony!

The part about shows made me giggle because I LOOOOVE Cats and watched it on video many times and also saw it "live"... I'd take Cats over any Disney shows (even Frozen, which was great).

My daughter LOVED Cats! Other than the shows based on movies (Aladdin, BATB, etc.) the shows on Disney are awful (Wishes, Believe, etc.). I don't plan to sit through them anymore. They are just downright painful. I'll take the Diving and Ice Skating shows over those a-n-y day! :rotfl:

Can anyone tell me when I can start booking the shows? I don't know if it just opens up randomly or at a specific time. I wish I knew WHEN the shows will be open for booking. I hate having to check all the time in case i miss it, as I hear if you don't book ahead of time you can't see the shows. I also did late dining because that is what we prefer, and everything I read about My Time dining sounds like it is not uncommon to have to wait for a table. But I am afraid I will have to skip dinner in the MDR sometimes in order to see the shows.

I will also say that on DCL we enjoy hanging out in the room and ordering room service a lot and watch the movies in the stateroom a lot. Some might question why we do that on a cruise, but we find it relaxing and something we all enjoy, especially at night. But looks like there is charges for both of those things on RCCL. if we do this as much on RCCL as we do on DCl I will be spending an extra $35-$40 per day...

I'm assuming you are on an Oasis or Quantum class?

The seeming randomness (I'm sure there's an algorithm somewhere) of the show booking does help with people flooding the page with requests, I suppose. I'd prefer a little more certainty as to when, but clearly they're not gonna tell us that.

I will say that for show booking, if you don't book a seat you may not be able to watch the show time. This is probably most applicable for the musical, secondary show and first ice skating show. For the aqua show (if you're on Oasis class) you can watch from the back or possibly hang out on the rock climb balcony. Bear in mind that even though you're booking a time, your seat is not guaranteed unless you show up.

IIRC there's a bookable show that will almost always end at or around the start of early dinner. Shows (except the musical) are about 45 minutes max so if you can book that show you'll be unlikely to miss dinner. There are also some afternoon shows so look out for that as well.

I doubt that many room service users are happy about the room service charge but you either live with it or find an alternate solution to get food to your room, all of which defeat the purpose of room service. Get a bunch of pizza at Sorrentos or snack-type stuff at Park Cafe. Maybe even get a "to go" plate from WindJammer (if it's open) or asking your dinner server to make a "to go" plate for you.

You only get charged for room service if you order cooked breakfast. All the continental breakfast foods and snacks are still free (plus tip).
Denise

And FYI in case you didn't know, the room service fee is per order, not per item. I have seen some confusion in the past.

You only get charged for room service if you order cooked breakfast. All the continental breakfast foods and snacks are still free (plus tip).
Denise
Which snacks are free?

When I sailed on Allure in November the only thing that was free was the continental breakfast items.

have to make reservations for shows? and room service is not free (tips aside)? idk RCI...

i do love just walking into the theaters to watch the shows on DCL prior to our dining time (late dinner seating) & ordering room svc while I watch movies in our rooms when I'm not in the mood to grab a slice of pizza/sandwich/fruit upstairs.

Denise

I'm traveling with someone that likes her morning coffee. Does this mean she can have coffee delivered by room service without the surcharge?

have to make reservations for shows? and room service is not free (tips aside)? idk RCI...

i do love just walking into the theaters to watch the shows on DCL prior to our dining time (late dinner seating) & ordering room svc while I watch movies in our rooms when I'm not in the mood to grab a slice of pizza/sandwich/fruit upstairs.

Reservations are not required for shows. On the Oasis and Quantum class ships (there are 4 ships each class) you can pre-book shows online before you leave and on the app as well for most of them. You can still walk up and go in if there's a seat, but they only open up seating around 10 min before the show. If you have a show booked and don't show up, no big deal either. All their other ships (18 ships total) don't have any show reservation system at all. Everything is first come, first served.

As far as the room service fee, $9.38 tip included, isn't much cost, but it's enough to stop people from ordering just for the heck of it. I usually find I can walk to somewhere nearby with complimentary food and back faster than they can deliver room service anyway.

Reservations are not required for shows. On the Oasis and Quantum class ships (there are 4 ships each class) you can pre-book shows online before you leave and on the app as well for most of them. You can still walk up and go in if there's a seat, but they only open up seating around 10 min before the show. If you have a show booked and don't show up, no big deal either. All their other ships (18 ships total) don't have any show reservation system at all. Everything is first come, first served.

As far as the room service fee, $9.38 tip included, isn't much cost, but it's enough to stop people from ordering just for the heck of it. I usually find I can walk to somewhere nearby with complimentary food and back faster than they can deliver room service anyway.

thanks for the clarification. $10 for room svc tip incl is manageable..and you are prob are correct about walking to & from for comp F&B making it faster than delivering room svc.

Considerably? I've only done Disney and Carnival in the past, and now booked on Symphony in a couple weeks, but after all the expenses added in at this point, it's not that much cheaper than Disney. Certainly not considerably. But I don't know if that's because it's Symphony or not. No other reference.

Considerably? I've only done Disney and Carnival in the past, and now booked on Symphony in a couple weeks, but after all the expenses added in at this point, it's not that much cheaper than Disney. Certainly not considerably. But I don't know if that's because it's Symphony or not. No other reference.
Well, Symphony is the newest ship and probably the most expensive of the Royal fleet. What kind of expenses are you adding in?

I noticed that the new RCCL are always much more expensive than the rest of them. I currently have 3 RCCL cruises booked for 2019-2020 and I'd say they are between Carnival and Disney prices but closer to Carnival.

I have found that the same time frame, cruise itinerary (apples 2 apples) comparisons to favor RCCL by a $izable amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter