Studio Meal Ideas

DizzyStitch

Mouseketeer
I saw a thread for new meal ideas in a Villa so that prompted me needing new meal ideas in a studio. We way over do Peanut Butter and Jelly. Snacks are fine but I would like to figure out real food that I can take and heat up. Also I travel with a Vegetarian that needs protein (hates salad) so that just plain complicates most meals. Although there are a lot more quick service options showing up in the parks if you ask. We drive down from Cleveland, Ohio in one day (I hate missing park time driving!!!). So what can you "cook" that won't eat up all the space in the refrigerator and won't having me driving to the store repeatedly?

DW usually makes a one pot meal:
Stew
Soup
Lasagna
As we usually stay in studios, these work out great for reheating in the microwave. We sometimes will eat breakfast out and then depending on what we are doing that day either lunch or dinner in the room every day.

DW usually makes a one pot meal:
Stew
Soup
Lasagna
As we usually stay in studios, these work out great for reheating in the microwave. We sometimes will eat breakfast out and then depending on what we are doing that day either lunch or dinner in the room every day.
Do you have recipes? Like I said PB&J gets old so fast!!!!

It is DW that does the cooking - not me.
For the soup/stew she usually just throws into a pot whatever sound/looks good (steak/chicken, vegs, spices, water) the week we are leaving, let it cook for awhile, and then places them into mason jars. We take one jar out at a time to heat it up in the microwave at the resort.

Last edited:

I've given this suggestion a couple of times. If your vegetarian will eat cheese, you can make grilled cheese in the room with your iron. Bring tin foil, butter or butter flavored non-stick spray. Prepare cheese sandwich like normal. Wrap in tin foil. Turn the iron on high and then place on one side for about 1 min. Flip and repeat. It squashes the sandwich a but but it's protein, filling, cheap and easy. You can supplement with a side of your choice.

I have read others also bringing prepared meals in a soft sided cooler and just filling with ice daily so that they don't take up too much room in the little fridge. So you can pack things like hummus, cheese etc without worries of spoil and taking up too much room. I make a zucchini lasagna that's really good. I sub the noodles for zucchini but slicing super thin and then make like normal. You could portion it out and freeze before you leave. Take out as needed. Same goes with pasta but if you want added protein, look for this kind of pasta. https://www.eatbanza.com/
It almost has the same texture and flavor while adding fiber and protein. I get it at Target.

Microwave Mac n cheese cups. Add stewed tomatoes and pre-cooked bacon for the non-vegetarian
Pouches or cups of pre-cooked meals microwaveable rice and beans (a complete protein), fresh veggies in microwaveable pouch
Scrambled eggs and toast, use Egg Beaters or a similar product, add cheese, pre-cooked bacon or a soy meat substitute, chopped spinach, etc.
Jars of pasta sauce and pasta microwaved in a special bowl or microwaveable pasta bowls
Tortillas filled with your favorite spread and vegetables (hummus, red peppers, cucumbers, shredded carrots, etc)
Vegetarian tacos (taco shell, vegetarian meat substitute crumbles, salsa, cheese, shredded lettuce)

We usually cook then freeze a big pot of chili a few days before our trip. Let it defrost in the mini fridge and heat just what we need in the microwave at time. We also bring buns, hot dogs, corn chips to provide a little variety but chili gets old about as fast as PB&J!
You can do a similar approach with the vegetarian. Cook and freeze a pot of beans and bring some rice and a microwave rice cooker.

When we drive on our vacations, I bring our 2 quart pressure cooker with us. I plan out a menu and bring the food with us. I eat whole food plant based. Sample of meals: potatoes and corn on the cob, rice and beans, vegetable stew,.
Another option is to Google backpacking dehydrated food. You just need to add hot water. There are some very good options out there.

Don’t forget that many DVCs have grills near the pool

Any good suggestions in the Orlando area. In all our years we've never ventured off site... ahhhhh

I never go off site to eat (can’t drive!) but if I wanted to go someplace close that was inexpensive and had healthy food options for vegetarians and non vegetarians, I’d probably check out the Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar chain) near the property. Never been to one in Orlando, but quite enjoyed the one I went to with my aunt near Tampa a few years back. Not fancy food, but fresh and tasty. I do love a good salad bar with a ton of options.

I never go off site to eat (can’t drive!) but if I wanted to go someplace close that was inexpensive and had healthy food options for vegetarians and non vegetarians, I’d probably check out the Sweet Tomatoes (salad bar chain) near the property. Never been to one in Orlando, but quite enjoyed the one I went to with my aunt near Tampa a few years back. Not fancy food, but fresh and tasty. I do love a good salad bar with a ton of options.
That is right up my alley. Thank you for that suggestion.

Sounds like another NYC person in da house!:D :cool2:

Since you are driving, how about a big batch of homemade mac n cheese? Pre cooked packaged bacon can be crumbled up as a topping for non vegetarians. You can bring a bag of sub rolls (freeze when you bring home to keep as fresh as possible), packaged cheeses, meats, a small container of olive oil, Italian spices (dollar store), a pepper, small onion, etc and remember to bring a knife! Bring salad dressing and a zip bag of croutons to use up salad.

Bring bottled water to put in freezer which can double as a freeze pack if you go to The Springs and pick up sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich. Don't forget your insulated supermarket freezer bag to tuck in your back pack to get them back to the villa safely.

I saw a thread for new meal ideas in a Villa so that prompted me needing new meal ideas in a studio. We way over do Peanut Butter and Jelly. Snacks are fine but I would like to figure out real food that I can take and heat up. Also I travel with a Vegetarian that needs protein (hates salad) so that just plain complicates most meals. Although there are a lot more quick service options showing up in the parks if you ask. We drive down from Cleveland, Ohio in one day (I hate missing park time driving!!!). So what can you "cook" that won't eat up all the space in the refrigerator and won't having me driving to the store repeatedly?

We regularly eat vegetarian at least once a week and currently Asian style is a norm:

Protein enhanced vegetarian dishes

The vegetarian might appreciate this dish but that doesn't mean the entire traveling party can't eat it:

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/chilled-tofu-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce/
Before you leave the house you can put all the sauce ingredients in a container (my fav for this is a tall thin jar like the kind olives or capers come in because it uses less space and you can shake and mix with ease) except the optional sesame seeds and the chopped scallions which taste fresher being added the same day you are eating the dish. I've only used silken tofu as that's the texture my family likes best. I use a jar to travel with so I don't need to carry all the ingredients to a vacationing spot.

Like the above this is an Asian based recipe that needs no cooking on site if you precook the spaghetti. I generally add more cucumber spears/julienned and carrots cut in the same shape as well. Partners nicely with a roast chicken straight from a supermarket or your home for the meat eaters. Forget chopping or pulsing cashews in a Cuisinart, a hammer bang or two does just fine:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/9558-takeout-style-sesame-noodles
Final Asian inspired dish:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/vegetable-spring-rolls.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH
Just add and subtract vegetables at will. Your local supermarket is your friend if you want to use pre-cut produce. Another "we take it camping" dish that is easy to make ahead rolled with either plastic or wax paper separating the rolls. I include the whole family when making them as it goes faster:

The peanut sauce is where you'll find the protein and this is a great dish to use up leftover fresh herbs.

You can also premake ratatouille with a chopped nut or sliced hard boiled egg topping as protein for the vegetarian and w/o for everyone else. It can be served room temperature, cold, or hot, in an omelet, as a side dish or atop rice for a main course. No recipe as it's easy to find on the internet and I just make it by sight. Stewed whole roasted canned tomatoes make a good start.

Want soup? This is not how I make peanut soup but it's pretty simple and takes minimum time with items you probably have already in the fridge. Freezes nicely:

https://hurrythefoodup.com/african-peanut-soup/
Don't forget gazpacho especially if you can find it already made in your supermarket's prepared foods area. DGD cleans her room to the nth, gathers firewood, and I find no careless mistakes on her homework when she knows this is on the menu;):D.

HTH and have fun.

Last edited:
We do mostly breakfast stuff in the room. Like a PP mentioned, we bring a cooler and refill it with ice everyday. We bring frozen Mickey waffles (we make them the week prior on our super awesome waffle maker) and then also lots of fruit. We have plastic containers we fill with blueberries, grapes and strawberries that we bring into the park for snacking, along with things like prepackaged trail mix or just plain junk food.

Hi! One of my favorites is Chicken Enchiladas. When you mix up the enchiladas, before you add the chicken take out some of the mix and put beans (black, pinto or navy ) in rather than chicken for a few for your vegetarian. Then roll them and cook them and when cool freeze flat in baggies. These travel great! You could also make a batch of Spanish Rice (rice a roni brand) that adds a can of petite diced tomatoes to it. Once made then put in tupperware and freeze to take. The yumminess of the spanish rice is really good with the enchiladas. Let me know if you need a recipe :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter