Stupid Eclispe Question

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
Family is arguing with me.
Isn't below true.
It is just as bad, maybe worse to look at the sun when there is not a solar eclipse as when there is a solar eclipse.

My daughter claim you are not a scientist. Are you cause I would love to blow raspberries at her.

UV rays are UV rays during an eclipse or not. The situation is that during an eclipse, since the glare is not so INTENSE, people will look for a longer period of time thus creating more damage.

Yes, it is more dangerous to look at it when there isn't an eclipse. The difference is that most people don't stare at the sun on a normal day. Total solar eclipses are quite rare, so it gets big attention and people are likely to stare at it.

I'm not a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :rotfl:

I'm also guessing people might feel they can look at it longer when it's being eclipsed and it's darker out.

I kept joking with my daughter that I was going to look at it today, just to test it out. She implored me not to. :laughing: I do wish I had tracked down a pair of glasses though.

It's a "mostly to partly cloudy" day here though (99.9% zone). Won't it be awful if it's behind clouds?

People are combining two things...

1) The damage caused by looking at the sun during and eclipse versus the damage caused by looking at the sun on any other day
2) The probability that you will look at the sun and the length of time for which you will look.

For the first point, the eclipse does not make things works (arguably makes things a bit better - but only during the full eclipse phase). And, based on the wording of the OP's question, that is the point being addressed.

The second point is where the difference lies. People are more likely to look (because something different is happening) and they can look for longer (because the amount of pain caused by doing so is decreased). And, that is where the risk lies.

OP - I am a scientist :) Though not in this area (my PhD is in epidemiology - but since most people don't really know what that is, your daughter may think that I study the sun :))

Last edited:

Isn't below true.
It is just as bad, maybe worse to look at the sun when there is not a solar eclipse as when there is a solar eclipse.

True. In fact, the reason you shouldn't look at the sun during a partial eclipse is not all the harmful light to your eyes is blocked. Only during totality can you look at the sun.

I'm also guessing people might feel they can look at it longer when it's being eclipsed and it's darker out.

I kept joking with my daughter that I was going to look at it today, just to test it out. She implored me not to. :laughing: I do wish I had tracked down a pair of glasses though.

It's a "mostly to partly cloudy" day here though (99.9% zone). Won't it be awful if it's behind clouds?

I keep telling my husband and daughter, "i'm gonna look up, I'm gonna look up". They think I'm crazy. I am also sorry I didn't look into getting the glasses...

After all the anticipation, I hope clouds wont block it.

I keep telling my husband and daughter, "i'm gonna look up, I'm gonna look up". They think I'm crazy. I am also sorry I didn't look into getting the glasses...

After all the anticipation, I hope clouds wont block it.
I might end up looking up just to see if it's covered in clouds. :p

I think the problem is that on a regular sunny day you really can't look at the sun too long. Your eyes automatically squint and start to water and you shield them with your hands. During an eclipse, that brightness that causes you to squint and look away is gone, so you can stare and stare and stare and not realize you are doing damage.

I'm going to look up for a few seconds. My eyes are very sensitive to light so I know I won't overdo it.

It's raining here so I hope it clears up in time. We're going to be 70% coverage so we should still notice a difference.

Not sure if it's true , but I was told if you take your phone out, set it like you are taking a selfie, then look over your shoulder, you should be able to look at the eclipse like that. I am going to at least try it!

I agree with anniemae. The suns rays will do equal damage no matter when you look at it. However, on a normal day, the sun is bright enough that you can't/won't look at it very long. (If you forced yourself, you'd do damage, but most people would look away before damage was done.) However, on an eclipse day, the light isn't as strong and you probably COULD stare at it long enough to damage your eyes. So it's a good reminder *not* to stare.

Isn't below true.

Now look, Cogswel_Cogs this is most definately NOT a time to be looking in duration at the sun. IMHO, it is never good to look directly at the sun for long periods of time. This thread topic is anything but, "Stupid."

Stay Safe Pupils. :sunny:

You can apparently make your own!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-glasses-watch-eclipse-using-cereal-box.html

Isn't below true.
You are correct. I teach science, does that make me a scientist?

My eyes are very sensitive to light so I know I won't overdo it.
Me too! I don't even like going outside on a regular day without sunglasses. DW bought some eclipse glasses but I don't know that I even need to look up for more than a quick glance to satiate my already small appetite for this event.
This thread topic is anything but, "Stupid."
Absolutely! If you want to find a stupid topic NFLDERS & I can direct you to one.:earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!