Suburb near Anaheim to Trick or Treat in for Aussies?

viaggiamo

Mouseketeer
Hi, the children have decided that instead of attending the Oogie Boogie Bash, they would like to experience a 'real' American Halloween in a 'real' suburb. Halloween in Australia is a very, very small affair or non-existent.
Would anyone please share some great suburbs we could Uber to for the afternoon/evening? And any other tips for us would be very welcome.
Thanks!

eta: they will be 10 and 12yo.

Trick or Treating seems to have moved from neighborhoods to community centers, schools, shopping malls, churches, and other "safe" locations. At least in our area, it really isn't a house-to-house event like it used to be, but a community event/Harvest festival. I don't know that I would recommend showing up in a totally unfamiliar neighborhood to knock on strangers' doors. (Just because an area looks safe, doesn't mean there aren't risks.) Even people who live here don't always trust "candy from strangers," which is why they take their kids to Disney for Halloween. Our neighborhood is pretty small, and we know the kids who show up at our door on Halloween. Unfamiliar kids with unfamiliar accents would stand out -- "Hi, honey, so where are you from? Whose house are you staying at?"
That being said, there are many Halloween events that aren't related to Disney's parties. As we get closer to the season, there will be more advertising of activities. For example, the last 3 years, the. Hollywood Bowl has shown "The Nightmare Before Christmas" with a live orchestra and the actors who did the voices singing the songs live to the movie. It's not trick-or-treating, but it's pretty festive. There is a costume contest and lots of fun. Would that work? (And Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood shows the movie in 4D for a week every October -- and they usually show "Hocus Pocus," too.) For other theme park events, Knott's and Universal have Halloween events. The Queen Mary does Halloween events, too. Don't know if these would be too intense for your kids or not. We prefer Disney over scary/gory.
ETA: Just remembered that there have been Halloween themed dinners at places in Buena Park (not far from DLR, so an easy Uber ride) -- the Pirates Dinner Theater, maybe Medieval Times, etc. -- so that might be another option.

Last edited:
That sounds so fun! I wish I could help. Halloween door to door trick or treating is still very much a CA thing. A couple of years ago we were in San Diego over Halloween and it was one of our favorite times taking the kids out trick or treating. Hopefully some So.Cal. people will chime in and help!

As a local, I wouldn’t suggest trick or treating in the neighborhoods of Anaheim, unless you know where you are going. Brea and Fullerton (around Cal State Fullerton) has some nice areas.

My family live in the Los Serranos area of Chino Hills and there are always lots of kids running around. Trick or treating seems to start earlier and earlier every year, so plan on being in whatever neighborhood you decide well before sunset, grab some lunch at a McDonalds (grab a pumpkin bucket to fill with candy, if they still have any :).

Halloween is still really big in our neighborhood (we live in Chino Hills like PP). We have tons of kids in our neighborhood starting around sunset and visitors are welcome. Like PPs have stated, I wouldn't do many Anaheim neighborhoods, but there are nice areas in Brea and Anaheim Hills where I'm sure you'll be fine. Hopefully someone who lives in the area can give you an exact location.

Same here in Northern California where we live, we go trick or treating door to door usually in our friends' neighborhood (our neighborhood is too spread out). Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you OP, but the traditional door to door Trick or Treating still does exist if you can find the right neighborhood.

... the traditional door to door Trick or Treating still does exist if you can find the right neighborhood.
Bingo. This is key -- and for people who don't know the area, don't necessarily know the customs (might or might not), and might not know what constitutes the "right" neighborhood (because even an affluent looking neighborhood may not be the "right" one) -- dropping into unfamiliar territory to trick-or-treat can be risky. Halloween isn't always the safest holiday, so playing things safe is important, especially when young kids are involved. We have many friends from Asia who love visiting for Halloween and doing all the things that aren't celebrated back home -- but we know where to take them and we accompany them so they aren't navigating things alone. OP, I hope one of the local DISers can invite you to their neighborhood so that at least you won't be in a totally unfamiliar place with your family on your own. (And then you'll make some new friends, too!)

Last edited:
There's a really nice neighborhood where my friend lives. Every year he does an elaborate "haunted house" in his house and back yard. Many years others in the area do the same; three years ago there were seven, last year four. But regardless, it's a very typical California neighborhood with lot's of trick-or-treaters.

Just east of State College Blvd and north of Vermont Ave. Stay between Lime Street and Avocado St. (east/west) and California Pl and Diana St (north and south) and your kids will get a real feel for trick-or-treat in the states.

There's a really nice neighborhood where my friend lives. Every year he does an elaborate "haunted house" in his house and back yard. Many years others in the area do the same; three years ago there were seven, last year four. But regardless, it's a very typical California neighborhood with lot's of trick-or-treaters.

Just east of State College Blvd and north of Vermont Ave. Stay between Lime Street and Avocado St. (east/west) and California Pl and Diana St (north and south) and your kids will get a real feel for trick-or-treat in the states.
Thanks for this -- specific information like this for a safe place for the OP to go is very helpful.

Thank you so much!!!

Here's something to consider...we live in Irvine, which is a very nice suburb about 15 minutes south of Disneyland. NO ONE here trick or treats. This year, we are considering going to the Halloween party because otherwise, Halloween is a bust. It has gotten to the point that when you go trick or treating, you may get someone who answers every 10th of 15th door. It's just not worth it.

I recommend finding a local "trunk or treat" event. Sometimes the big malls in the area do this.

In general, you have to drive quite a ways from Disneyland to find a safe neighborhood for trick or treating.

Here's something to consider...we live in Irvine, which is a very nice suburb about 15 minutes south of Disneyland. NO ONE here trick or treats. This year, we are considering going to the Halloween party because otherwise, Halloween is a bust. It has gotten to the point that when you go trick or treating, you may get someone who answers every 10th of 15th door. It's just not worth it.

I recommend finding a local "trunk or treat" event. Sometimes the big malls in the area do this.

In general, you have to drive quite a ways from Disneyland to find a safe neighborhood for trick or treating.
This is what I was trying to say in my first post, but others didn't agree. The neighborhoods around DLR can be tricky. Some are unsafe, others are safe, but don't really do the house-to-house thing now. Our friends in Irvine do DLR or parties for Halloween. If they do 'door to door,' it's more of a block party kind of thing -- with the end of the street blocked off so that the parents know everyone at the party.

Last edited:
This is what I was trying to say in my first post, but others didn't agree. The neighborhoods around DLR can be tricky. Some are unsafe, others are safe, but don't really do the. house-to-house thing now. Our friends in Irvine do DLR or parties for Halloween. If they do 'door to door,' it's more of a block party kind of thing -- with the end of the street blocked off so that the parents know everyone at the party.

Yes, our community does a trunk or treat, and that is literally the only place we got candy last year. No one else was home! Some people left bowls of candy out so my kids would look for those and take a piece. For the most part, they filled their buckets with the candy I had at home. We got exactly 6 trick or treaters all night.

Maybe I will take my kids there this year...

I have family that live in Buena Park, right off Beach Blvd which is a tourist/chain restaurant corridor near Knotts Berry Farm and Medieval Times. They live directly behind the Courtyard Marriott, and their neighborhood is large with a lot of houses close together, and sidewalks. To my knowledge, door-to-door trick or treating is still done here. Its a busier area with a lot of tourists around, and the neighborhood extends across several side streets. Its about 15 minutes to DL, right off the highway.

Looks like this area is just west of State College Blvd... and pretty close to Disneyland. :)

I know I am late to the party, but I just read this thread and it makes me sad to hear that traditional "trick or treating" in California is dying out. I grew up in California in the late 70's - early 90's, and we knew all of our neighbors, and felt totally safe to trick or treat within a few mile radius, because even though I didn't live in a small town, it still had that "small town" feel, and most people knew each other. I now live in Texas (Houston suburbs) and have 2 kiddos (ages 8 and 11) and Halloween and trick or treating is HUGE here, and a big deal, and the majority of people in our neighborhood participate and make it a fun and safe tradition for everyone. Maybe I am glad we moved away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!