Subway

Mrs. Potato Head

Mouseketeer
I took my kids to lunch today. We went to Subway. I was looking so forward to a salad with turkey, cheese, cucumbers, peppers... and then found out they only have fat free dressings! I'm doing Atkins, so fat free is out (not to mention tastes gross, anyhow!). I did take the pkg. of FF ranch, but when I saw that one small pack had 13 grams of carbs, I ate my salad dry. UGH!!!

I get the biggest kick out of the Subway under 6 grams of fat sandwiches. If you read the napkins, to be under 6 grams, there can be nothing added to the sandwich (no lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, mayonaise, etc.). So all it is is the meat and bread, and the fat must come from the bread since you only get, maybe, 3 slices of meat on your sandwich. I'd go for the Wendy's chicken BLT salad any day.:p

One company sells little containers of ranch dressing. Hidden valley, maybe? I've been thinking of buying them for just this purpose (if I can get myself back on atkins)! Fat free/low fat is so hard for people on Atkins!

I am not doing atkins I am doing ww but I do know that different subways have different dressings. The one I usually go to has Ranch, Italian, ff Italian, FF french and FF Ranch..........but some of the others only have ff Italian. So check out some different ones!!

Originally posted by cmbelle
I get the biggest kick out of the Subway under 6 grams of fat sandwiches. If you read the napkins, to be under 6 grams, there can be nothing added to the sandwich (no lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, mayonaise, etc.). So all it is is the meat and bread, and the fat must come from the bread since you only get, maybe, 3 slices of meat on your sandwich. I'd go for the Wendy's chicken BLT salad any day.:p

I think the tomatoes and lettuce are included. You can also add malt vinegar, jalapenos, banana peppers, green peppers, and pickles and still be fat free.

My understanding of the under 6 Subs are they can have all the veggies (no olives) but no cheese or mayo.

Yeah, I could have misread the napkin. Still, I add lettuce, tomatoes, etc. I avoid the cheese and dressings. I just think it is misleading. The servers will add anything you ask, without saying, "by the way, if you add the cheese, the fat grams will increase." I guess that it's too much to ask.

From the subway website

Nutritional values are based on standard formulas with 6" subs on Italian bread:
7 Under 6 Subs lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, olives and pickles.

I was actually surprised that olives were included since they are pretty high in fat, so I guess you can omit the olives and make them even better.

I wish that Subway would put on their site a "build your own sandwich" thing so that you can put in what you like and it will calculate out how much fat is in them. I don't care for the regular bread so I always get Wheat which is better for you because of the fiber content. So to sit down and think about how much fat is really in my sandwich can be hard sometimes.

They may not have a build your own sandwhich (which sounds like a great idea to me) they do (I believe) have the nutrition info on virtually all their items. So you could take the difference between the wheat and the "italian" to come up with the figure.

I just did a quick check and the wheat has .5 less grams of fat then then the italian. So get the wheat, your better off for it ;)

I believe that the Wheat is the same point wise for WW as the Italian!! I will have to check for sure when I get home!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter