Success at 7 months

zavandor

DIS Veteran
I have just booked my September 2019 stay at 7 months in a studio.
I got 4 nights at BLT standard, 4 nights at BWV standard and 4 nights at AKV Jambo standard.
Those are difficult categories to get, above all the first two. BLT standard was open at 7 months, I got BWV standard via a waitlist, 3 days after creating it.
The split stay is by design (so I can always stay at a resort near the parks I plan to visit each day), but it helped to find availability.

The difficulty of switching at 7 months is a bit overstated here on the DISboards. While it is true that you cannot always get what you want, with the right amount of flexibility it is possible to book all other resorts. This is one of the things I like the most about my ownership and I'm not sure I would buy if I had to always stay at one resort.

September is Adventure season for a reson. While demand picks up hugely on the 4th week, the rest of the month is really low demand for DVC, even with the lowest points requirement. The aborted 2020 reallocation on average increased the cost of Adventure season. I do not really agree with the principle, September and late January see really good availability at 7 months even with the low point costs.
Adventure season is not priced too low, the problem is that there are periods that really shouldn't be in Adventure season anymore: marathon week end, the last week of September and the first two weeks of December.

Important: when resort hopping, better to have a Plan B and C.
I didn't really hope to get standard rooms at all three resorts. I had the points to book BLT Lake and BWV garden and I was planning for Kidani standard which is easier than Jambo. Getting all three is a really welcome bonus, but I didn't count on it at all. And some resorts can be much more difficult than others anytime: CCV, VGC, VGF

I'll save a total of 33 points thanks to the standard views, which is equivalent to $495. I'm thinking about booking as a treat a Wild Africa Trek tour with the savings. Is it worth it?

Last edited:
LOVE when a plan comes together at 7 months; we enjoy split stays by design:banana:! GOOD for you!:cool1:

Last edited:
Wild Africa Trek is on my bucket list for a future visit.

We did the Caring for Giants tour last trip and it was fabulous! We both enjoyed it, especially the close up look at the elephants and the talks from the experts while at the viewing platform. Based on that, I think the Trek will be even better.

Be sure to give us your impressions if you decide to go ahead and book it. :)

P.S. Congrats on your booking sucess. September is just too hot for us and right in the middle of hurricane season. We were there just before Matthew and barely got out before MCO closed. Turbulent ride most of the way home. Not anxious to repeat that experience.

Last edited:
I LOVE the idea of split stays but everytime we have to pack and move, it NEVER goes smoothly.

We've done September (Labor Day Weekend) a few times and have always had good luck getting standard views. We've also been able to switch to BCV at 7 months during September as well. I think the fact that schools are just getting back and it's really hot, compared to October and November, keep it one of the few "slow" times at WDW. I thought F&W starting Sep1 would increase demand, but I haven't really noticed that happening.

We've done both the Wild Animal Trek and Savor the Savanna and really enjoyed both. If with kids I'd do the Wild Animal Trek. If just adults I'd do the Savor the Savanna.

We've done both the Wild Animal Trek and Savor the Savanna and really enjoyed both. If with kids I'd do the Wild Animal Trek. If just adults I'd do the Savor the Savanna.

Thanks, that's useful, I didn't know about Savor the Savanna. Can I ask you what are the main differences? I am a solo travel, but I don't drink, so the alcohol included doesn't interest me. Is the tour length the same? There is no mention of it in the Savor the Savanna page.

I have just booked my September 2019 stay at 7 months in a studio.
I got 4 nights at BLT standard, 4 nights at BWV standard and 4 nights at AKV Jambo standard.
Those are difficult categories to get, above all the first two.

You got both BWV and BLT standard studios at 7 months out? Amazing. Maybe the system now has secret data favoring you as one of the Notorious 24.

Thanks, that's useful, I didn't know about Savor the Savanna. Can I ask you what are the main differences? I am a solo travel, but I don't drink, so the alcohol included doesn't interest me. Is the tour length the same? There is no mention of it in the Savor the Savanna page.

I believe Savor the Savanna was around 2.5 hours from start to finish. It is basically a private Kilimanjaro Safari (in a modified vehicle) with a 90 minute stop on the viewing platform in the center of the savanna. The food there was really good with a mix of apps and deserts you would find at some of the nicer restaurants in AK. We did that as our dinner one night and was more than enough food. The giraffes were pretty active at that time and came pretty close. Also a few of the rhinos were near the back of the platform as well.

Both are worth it....just depends if you want an active experience or a more laid back one.

September seems to be the last of the great slow times, and the 7 month switch the most feasible.
I will be trying to pull it off tomorrow myself.

If you want a challenge, try switching at 7 months for December!

We've been lucky using our BWV contract at 7 months in difficult seasons.

Snagging a BWV studio during first week of October / F&W ~2015 was probably the best we've managed.

We're booked for this upcoming October and I'm not seeing a lot of opportunity at BWV at present so have shifted our attention to Poly. Hoping that will work out because I'd really like to stay there as I haven't done so since I was a kid. Will help us decide if we want to add on a small contract there or not.

I released 9 nights of standard view studio BWV just last night, as we decided to switch to Poly at 7 months. Maybe the waitlist picked up some of those nights. I checked BWV right after I released the room and some of the nights weren’t available, they must have went directly to a waitlist. We are definitely keeping our December BWV standard view studio though.

All this is good to hear. I’m looking to switch from AKL for my Christmas visit. Would like BWV, Riviera or OKW. Fingers crossed.

We will be settling into Kidani in a Savannah View studio just a few weeks from now for Flower & Garden. As we plan to hop between Epcot and Animal Kingdom, I phoned yesterday to add the Wild Africa Trek. I'm super excited! (Don't forget to ask for the DVC discount; 15% off mid -day Treks. Ours ended up running just a smidge over $170 pp after discount and taxes.)

FWIW, we've been quite successful booking across the Club locations inside the 7-month window, too. Snagged a BWV Standard Studio last Oct for F&W! Sweet!

We will be settling into Kidani in a Savannah View studio just a few weeks from now for Flower & Garden. As we plan to hop between Epcot and Animal Kingdom, I phoned yesterday to add the Wild Africa Trek. I'm super excited! (Don't forget to ask for the DVC discount; 15% off mid -day Treks. Ours ended up running just a smidge over $170 pp after discount and taxes.)

FWIW, we've been quite successful booking across the Club locations inside the 7-month window, too. Snagged a BWV Standard Studio last Oct for F&W! Sweet!

Can you get the DVC discount with resale points or no?

You got both BWV and BLT standard studios at 7 months out? Amazing. Maybe the system now has secret data favoring you as one of the Notorious 24.

Since I got what I wanted, now I've created two "no hopes but you never know" waitlists: one night club level and 4 nights Value studios at Jambo. If I'll get either of those we'll definetely know my account is now flagged for preferential treatment.:rotfl2:

Recently able to book a studio at Copper Creek for early September. We own at Boulder Ridge, but really enjoyed a stay at CC last year!

September seems to be the last of the great slow times, and the 7 month switch the most feasible. I will be trying to pull it off tomorrow myself.

If you want a challenge, try switching at 7 months for December!
I agree with Sept being the slowest, however I fear that once SW:GE opens (and 2021 chart changes), this may no longer be the case.

as long as you are not tied 100% to a certain room, I have found you can get pretty much any room type you want up to about 3 months out. You need a studio...there is most likely one at Saratoga.

That being said....the more popular resorts need to be booked 6 months or better. But I was able to get a 1 bed room at boardwalk last summer at 4 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter