Such a long shot but here goes...

saucymb

Mouseketeer<br><font color=teal>I am an organizing
Y'all. My sweet 10-year old son has a cat named Joe. Joe and my son are BEST FRIENDS. Joe has been part of our family since he was 7 weeks old. We adopted him and his sister from the shelter in December 2015.

Joe has been very sick for the past few days. After 2 trips to the vet, his fever, lethargy, and lack of appetite led the vet to suspect Cytauxzoonosis. Bloodwork confirmed this diagnosis.

Cytauxzoonosis, also known as Bobcat Fever, is when a tick feeds on a bobcat infected with a parasite that is harmless to the bobcat, then feeds on the housecat - in this case, Joe. Joe is an indoor/outdoor cat.

Until a couple of years ago, this was considered a terminal disease. Usually just a few days to 3 weeks before death. However, a new drug protocol has shown efficacy and we are trying to find it. That's right, our vet knows WHAT to treat with, but they don't have any in stock. Nor do the other vets in our area. Nor does the vet school in Raleigh. At this time, the best we can hope for is that he makes it until Tuesday when the meds will come in (they ordered them this afternoon).

Y'all, I have got to help Joe. I am asking if anyone here is within a 6 hour drive of Raleigh, NC and works for a vet/is a vet/has a friend that is a vet, to see if they have Atovaquone for cats. I will drive up to 6-8 hours to get it. I know this is the longest of long shots, but I have to help Joe.

My 10-year old son has severe depression and anxiety, as well as Aspbergers. Joe is his whole world. Inbox me please if you can offer any help at all.

Aw crap. I wish I could help you. Good thoughts going out to you to find your kitties medication.

I hope he makes it...man where is priority overnight when you need it.

*Edit

Do actually consider fast shipping services like UPS Sonic air (same day) and priority overnight if you find someone who has it but is too far.

Last edited:
I hope he makes it...man where is priority overnight when you need it.

*Edit

Do actually consider fast shipping services like UPS Sonic air (same day) and priority overnight if you find someone who has it but is too far.

We go in tomorrow morning at 9 to visit him. I plan to ask the vet where exactly the meds are located and see if I can drive there. Remember how Mrs. McAllister traveled back to NY from France when Kevin was Home Alone? That's kinda where I'm at right now. I'm just waiting on a polka band in a uhaul to pick me up.

Call Steele Creek Animal Hospital (704) 588-4400) in Charlotte. They open at 7:30 in the morning. Just spoke with someone who recently worked there and said they usually have it in stock. Fingers crossed for you!!!

WHAT?!? WHAT?!? I will call at 7:30 in the morning for sure. That's about 4 hours from me. I could be there super early. THANK YOU!!!

12509277_10208399082277821_5674619564602697333_n.jpg

you are a sexy superstar

Yeah...that's me alright! After seeing the pic of the DIser's son holding his cat... oh Lord! I can clearly see why she's so frantic to find the medicine and I really hope the clinic in Charlotte has it still in stock.

Update...

It was a long day! So the medication our vet was trying to find but couldn't was actually imidocarb dipropionate. I didn't realize that. But that medication has only about a 25% survival rate, which is why I was looking for Atovaquone, which has a 60% survival rate. I spent the night researching online and apparently my vet did as well. When we arrived at the office at 8am, we were able to clear up some confusion.

So the Imidocarb dipropionate is the once that is very hard to find these days. Probably because it doesn't work so well. The Atovaquone (as I discovered last night) is an anti-malarial drug given to people traveling to tropical climates. Atovaquone is available at many pharmacies, but is EXPENSIVE. $1300 expensive. We can't afford that.

They brought Joe in, and he and my son were able to cuddle for a while. Joe was so happy to see us! He has rehydrated nicely, and they already started him azythromycin, so all that was left was to decide if we would do the less effective/cost effective treatment, or more effective/expensive treatment. The vet had her tech call 6 different pharmacies. We got prices ranging from $800-1100, with only half of them actually having it in stock, the rest having to wait til Monday.

I asked for time to call my husband and my pharmacist friend to see what we could do. The pharmacist explained that the reason is was so expensive was 1: it's rarely prescribed, so not usually kept in stock; 2: short shelf life; and 3: the price tag is for the entire bottle, which is 2500mL. We only needed 30mL. But because it is so rarely prescribed, they don't split the bottle up.

HOWEVER...she worked some magic for me and was able to calculate what it would be for what I needed. Price: $160! What? I couldn't believe it. She had me hold while she checked to be sure she could fill it that way, and she came back and said she COULD do it, but she didn't have it in stock. Of course. But she found the nearest place that does have it - about 45 minutes away - and so our vet called it in.

Because Joe had stabilized, and our vet doesn't have around-the-clock care, they recommended we take him home and bring him back Monday morning.

So I got him home, drove to get the meds - which ended up being just $54 (they told me they gave me every discount they could find) and gave him his first dose this afternoon. He hasn't left my side. I usually work all day Saturday, but I couldn't leave him alone on my bed. So I've had a nice long nap with him tucked right next to me. My son comes in every few minutes to talk to him. Joe has slept most of the day, and had some confusion when it was time for him to eliminate (he went a blanket on the floor and in the LEGO box), but that's to be expected.

He's not out of the woods yet. We don't know how this will go. But we've done what we can, and we've left it in God's hands. We will continue to fight for him.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words and prayers! And especially to the Sexy Super Star Mirielle who gave me a little faith in this whole thing last night!

What a great turn of events! I’m glad Joe was stabslized and sent him for love and cuddles. My fingers and toes are crossed that the medicine works.

My DH has Lyme Disease. His human atovaquone was $800 per refill. Wish I had know about cat atovaquone or I would have gotten him that.

Kidding. (kind of)

Aye yai yai with high deductibles and drug prices. :sad2:

Hope Joe keeps up his road to recovery! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!