Sugar-free desserts??

kath1210

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if you can get sugar-free desserts (with advanced notice) at Ohana, Le Cellier, WCC and the Spirit of Aloha? We have a group of 19 and 3 are diabetics.

Thanks!

We explain our dietary restrictions when we make the reservation, and when we arrive at the restaurant. In Disney, we were treated very nice. Desert was usually a lovely fresh fruit dish, or sugar free ice cream.

My 3 yr old is a type 1 diabetic and we don't always do sugar-free but we have been able to get a sugar-free brownie at restaurants if we requested it in advance. (Some restaurants have it and some don't but most can get it if you ask). Usually they can get you sugar-free ice cream too.

We had awesome service at Le Cellier and I think they have a sugar-free mousse of some sort. As someone mentioned, when you make your PS (or ADR's whatever you want to call them) note on the ressie that 3 in your party are diabetic. You'll be give a number to call a week before to arrange any special foods - like the sugar-free dessert. We had great meals at Le Cellier, Crystal Palace, and CRT among others.

You can also find a sugar-free strawberry fruit bar in some of the ice cream carts at the MK. I don't think anywhere else though! And sugar-free drinks besides diet coke (bleh! for a 3 yr old!) are hard to come by though some carts will have the Minute Maid light lemonade or a rasberry drink.

Also note that sugar-free doesn't always mean lower carbs! And if you have concerns about what sweetner is used (some sweetners they use can give you a bad case of diarrhea :scared1: ). Have fun!

Thanks for your thoughts! We were on a Disney cruise in May and they always had a (delicious) sugar-free dessert on the menu at every lunch and dinner. I wish the WDW restaurants would do the same.

I do realize that sugar free does not always mean carb-free, or even low-carb if flour or other carbs are included. Are the restaurants able to give total carb and fiber information on the sugar-free desserts?

Selket - I'm glad to hear about the sugar-free strawberry bars. If only they would make a low-carb Mickey Bar! :lovestruc :mickeybar Also, for drinks, I am thinking of carrying those skinny packets of Crystal Light to mix with bottled water in the parks. Would those work for your son?

Thanks again!

Kathy,

I didn't see carb info on anything except the ice cream bars from the carts that were still in the package. Everything else you have to guess!

My 3 yr old also has a severe peanut allergy so our experience might be a bit skewed - there might be some other things that are sugar-free and I just wrote them off cause I knew he couldn't have them! (almost ALL baked goods and desserts are off-limits because of the peanut contamination and not because of the sugar). It could be the bake shop at the MK has sugar free items too - I just can't remember! I know they had a sugar free muffin at the Pepper Market at CSR but we couldn't have cause of the cross contamination with peanut. Just make sure you check what sweetner is used if anyone has a problem with it sending them to the restroom (aspartame and splenda are fine for us - it is just the other one that is a bother). That sweetner is used in the sugar-free candy they sell too I think.

Carrying the crystal light packages are a good idea! We usually brought in a small cooler with some Kool-aid Jammers 10 (those are the sugar-free koolaid pouches) and gave those to him along with water and milk that we bought inside the parks.

I would say yes. My situation is complicated by the fact I am allergic to aspartame and many of the sugar free desserts are swetened with this product. The brownie is not and I can have half a brownie as a treat. The sugar free strawberry bar and sugar free ice cream are sweetened with this. They didn't have a list of ingredients on the sugar free cheese cake so I could not risk that either. Fruit is so limited for a dessert since I eat less that 60gm of carbs per day (4 starch exchanges).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter