suggestion for lightweight wheelchair rental

Jennygt

DIS Veteran
I have asked before but this is the first time my mom agreed. What is a good place to rent from? We would be arriving at universal and then going on to wdw for another week. Thanks!!

I have asked before but this is the first time my mom agreed. What is a good place to rent from? We would be arriving at universal and then going on to wdw for another week. Thanks!!

Renting from an outside vendor would be much better than just renting one in the park.

The Disability FAQ at the top gives a lot of info.

Here are some links:

https://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disabmobility.htm

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

There is another thread here wondering what kind of wheelchair to buy and use at WDW.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...nual-wheelchairs-they-rent-at-disney.3727626/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/wheelchair-rentals.3694287/

define lightweight. the true aluminum very light( under ten pounds) ones may not hold up to all day use and they definitely give you car butt after a few hours.

sometimes it's better to get a more sturdy one and then add accessories. I use a foam square pillow 4 inches thick. it helps a lot. my spouse uses fingerless weight gloves to push and that keeps callouses and blisters to a minimum. and do not get a transport chair( all 4 wheels small) those are NOT good for all day use. learned that the hard way in San Diego once....

define lightweight. the true aluminum very light( under ten pounds) ones may not hold up to all day use and they definitely give you car butt after a few hours.

sometimes it's better to get a more sturdy one and then add accessories. I use a foam square pillow 4 inches thick. it helps a lot. my spouse uses fingerless weight gloves to push and that keeps callouses and blisters to a minimum. and do not get a transport chair( all 4 wheels small) those are NOT good for all day use. learned that the hard way in San Diego once...

Hi, Mrsjvb. That is a good review. I have read several users of the 4-small wheel lightweight transport wheelchairs may be light and easy to store, but may not be as comfortable over bumps and long term use.

Transport Wheelchairs in hospitals used to look like this and they were used inside the hospital to transport patients sometimes instead of regular large rear wheel wheelchairs. They were used for a short distance and on a flat service to transport a patient from their hospital room to their car on discharge day or for other reasons instead of a regular wheelchair.

A lot of folks like them and it works for them and that is great.

I would always suggest that the person seating in the transport chair or wheelchair try it first before buying one and if available if renting one.

If renting one at least have the option to switch to another type of wheelchair during your rental period if it doesn't work out for the person sitting in it. This should be discussed with the person you are renting from.

As I said before, I have no experience renting a wheelchair other than only one time renting an EPCOT park wheelchair.

travelite.jpg

I am definitely not suggesting this transport chair, but this is the type that I am talking about with four smaller wheels when compared to a regular large rear wheel wheelchair.

travelite-4.jpg

travelite-2.jpg

Even though some of the transport chairs may be made very light and very transportable, some folks don't feel comfortable sitting in them. And this is just one photo example as there are many manufacturers with different designs, different weights, different folding mechanisms.

81Ut8KrKxcL._SL1500_.jpg

71lK6a57n0L._SL1500_.jpg

A regular, lightweight wheelchair may look like this. It may weigh twice as much as a transport wheelchair, but is more sturdy.

When searching for your wheelchair to rent.

*Look for a vendor that will easily exchange the wheelchair if the wheelchair you choose doesn't work for you because of the way it pushes or feels sitting in it.

*Compare the prices of course.

*Compare the weight of the wheelchair

*Compare the wheelchair weight capacity.

*Compare the folding ease of the wheelchair to fold up and store if needed in a car, etc.

*If you see the specific name of the wheelchair, Google it to find more info about it.

*Use a website like www.Spinlife.com to research the specification and reviews of a specific wheelchair.

*If possible, try using the wheelchair before renting or buying a wheelchair.

wow you guys are so great! Things I never thought about and I am a rn! My mom does not use a wheelchair at home, but does use a cane, and has leaned on my kids strollers for all our past trips. Well no more strollers, she has been a trooper but I think she needs to pick and choose her battles and save her energy for the good stuff, shopping!! lol I definitely need to get her a seat cushion of some sort, and a dedicated poncho to cover her chair, just like when I has a stroller.
How does the wheel chair parking work? similar to the stroller parking? Again thank you oh so much!

At the parks, yes. Most cast members will help you where to park during attractions.
Several attractions are mainstreamed and she can roll her wheelchair through the queue and the castmember will help park it while she gets on the ride.
At the store, she could use it in the store or park it outside out of the way.
If she owns or rents the wheelchair from a vendor, tag it so that it will be recognizable while most park rental wheelchairs have tags.
At the resorts try to park it out of the main busy walkway areas like at food courts.

Most of the parking is common sense like using strollers.

I'm sure others will come later and give their experiences that will help.

wow you guys are so great! Things I never thought about and I am a rn! My mom does not use a wheelchair at home, but does use a cane, and has leaned on my kids strollers for all our past trips. Well no more strollers, she has been a trooper but I think she needs to pick and choose her battles and save her energy for the good stuff, shopping!! lol I definitely need to get her a seat cushion of some sort, and a dedicated poncho to cover her chair, just like when I has a stroller.
How does the wheel chair parking work? similar to the stroller parking? Again thank you oh so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter