Summer Months - Lighter Crowds!???

... I have never wanted to do Disney more than once a year. For me, it would ruin the Magic. I am planning other trips right now as well. I'm not putting down people that have AP's, etc. If that makes them happy, then more power to them. We should all do what makes us happy, especially if we can afford to. But I'd rather do Disney once a year (or every other year) - otherwise I would lose that crazy excitement that I get. Some people never lose that excitement. I know that I would...

I agree totally. I was thinking about doing a quick January trip to supplement our longer more extravagant August trip, but I absolutely agree that much of the magic would fade. We love AKL and are pretty much breathless walking into that lobby when we arrive, as well as throughout that trip.

A lot of that would not be as impactful with multiple visits (in my opinion).

But how do you know that if you have never taken multiple trips?:)

We go about 4 times a year and I get just as excited each trip as if it was my first!:)

This is true! A modest January trip is not out of the question!

I agree totally. I was thinking about doing a quick January trip to supplement our longer more extravagant August trip, but I absolutely agree that much of the magic would fade. We love AKL and are pretty much breathless walking into that lobby when we arrive, as well as throughout that trip.

Everyone is different, but I can say from first hand experience that isn't the case for us.

As you know, we used to live up in your neck of the woods. When we decided to move 4 years ago, the entire country was open as an option. We just wanted to go someplace warmer. We actually considered the general central Florida area. One of the reasons we said no was the fear of living too close to WDW and ruining the magic. We wound up in Atlanta. So we're not close enough to just hop over for an afternoon (it's a 7-8 hour each way drive), but not too far that we can't go often. We've bought 2 APs and in a few weeks will be making our 10th trip with those APs. When all is said and done, we'll have spent almost exactly 100 days in the parks since summer 2015. Is it every bit as magical as it was when we only went every 2-3 years? Not necessarily, but at the same time it's more enjoyable because when we leave we know we don't have to wait years to come back. We're not renewing our AP this time, it expires the day we head home, but we have full plans to get another one in summer 2019 or 2020.

Everyone is different, but I can say from first hand experience that isn't the case for us.

Is it every bit as magical as it was when we only went every 2-3 years? Not necessarily, but at the same time it's more enjoyable because when we leave we know we don't have to wait years to come back. We're not renewing our AP this time, it expires the day we head home, but we have full plans to get another one in summer 2019 or 2020.

Very good point! I think also it would be nice to go more often and not have to feel compelled to do so much planning (i.e. ADR's, FP, ect.). We're pretty middle of the road in terms of how much planning we do, and one could argue its totally unnecessary (I've seen you say you lean toward the 'less planning' side if things). But going more often I think could help create a less-structured and more relaxed experience.

Very good point! I think also it would be nice to go more often and not have to feel compelled to do so much planning (i.e. ADR's, FP, ect.). We're pretty middle of the road in terms of how much planning we do, and one could argue its totally unnecessary (I've seen you say you lean toward the 'less planning' side if things). But going more often I think could help create a less-structured and more relaxed experience.

Well, that's just our style anyway. Even when we lived in PA, we simply weren't planning types. We always stay offsite and bring our own food in, so we never have to worry about ADRs. We definitely take advantage of the FP+ system, we're huge fans of it. But beyond making those 3 in advance, we plan absolutely nothing else. We wing it the entire way, and that's what suits us. In fact, pretty often we wind up changing the 3 FP+ we made in advance anyway. I couldn't stick to a "schedule", it wouldn't seem like vacation to me, it would seem like work.

We use to go in February because of low crowds and then that got busy. So we changed to after Spring break in March, that got busy. We tried mid October, still busy. We talked to a couple of CMs and they both said the same thing. There really isn't a slow time anymore. We are going the week after Thanksgiving this year and I am anticipating it being as crowded as normal. I cannot handle the heat and humidity in Summer so that is out no matter how light the crowds. I hope you get a low crowd though whenever you do go.

We are going in late August for our first summer experience and I'm anticipating crowds and heat. We went in early Sept. 2014, and I went in thinking there would low crowds. Not the case and I set myself up for disappointment. It was also just as hot during that time with high humidity and we were fine with that, so I figure we will be fine this time too. It's all about mind-set with me.

We don't have a choice with my oldest taking college classes now, so summer it is!

We've only ever gone to WDW in the summer months. Mid-June 2010, late May 2011, early July 2013, late July 2015, first week of August 2017.

Of all of those trips, the crowds during the August '17 trip seemed the most manageable. It didn't feel terrible (the late May trip was terrible... and mid-June wasn't great either). The most densely populated area was Pandora, but we still enjoyed it immensely. We were able to use FP+ to our advantage in all four parks. It's hot, but we live in the midwest and our girls play summer softball, so sitting in stifling heat is just our life now apparently. ;) We're planning to go the same week in 2019.

ETA: Our only complaint was that Disney decreased park hours last August, and during our 7 day trip, MK was only open past 10 one night... and that night was MAYHEM. Wall-to-wall people.

Last edited:

Yes. I mean if there is a special limited time event that you really want to attend and it's happening before or after your usual yearly visit, and you can AFFORD, then hey.. that would still be an extra special visit. A special additional visit isn't a "habit." So I would think that's fine. But in general... once a year keeps the magic at high peak for me.

Since I am not a big STAR WARS fan, I am not sure that I will be returning after my November trip this year. My plan is not to return until 2021 - The Disney 50 Celebration. I was at the Disney 25 celebration. I don't want to miss Disney 50 at all! So that will be a long break (Nov 2018 - not returning until Nov 2021) but I'll be crazy excited over the 2021 visit. And I am thinking about going BIG.. 14 days. Because I know the crowds will be insane. Between my 2015 trip, the 2017 trip, and my 2018 trip I have done a lot and I feel satisfied enough to wait until 2021.

We've always been a late October family -- lower crowds, lower temps, and especially MNSSHP. We visited just about every October from 2007-2016. Without question, the 'secret' had gotten out as every year got progressively worse crowd-wise. ADRs become impossible within 90 days, and when paper FPs first went away lines were 45 minutes+ everywhere.

Last year we took a chance and went the last week of August. Yes, it was hot. And we got rained on a few times. But aside from FoP (180+ minutes), all of the lines were modest. We even had some good luck getting fourth FPs to the most popular rides (we snagged Test Track while enjoying lunch at Chefs de France). And no sign of the big tour groups that we encountered when we made a July visit in 2009. We even got into the very first MNSSHP of the year! I love WDW in the late fall, but our next trip will probably be next August to see the new Star Wars land.

We are going in late August for our first summer experience and I'm anticipating crowds and heat. We went in early Sept. 2014, and I went in thinking there would low crowds. Not the case and I set myself up for disappointment. It was also just as hot during that time with high humidity and we were fine with that, so I figure we will be fine this time too. It's all about mind-set with me.

We don't have a choice with my oldest taking college classes now, so summer it is!

Early August for us. We wanted to be there on our anniversary so August it is. Hoping for lower crowds. We are not worried about the heat/humidity. Thats what pool breaks are for.

Last edited:
Without question, the 'secret' had gotten out...

Yes, I think this is a part of what happened. This combined with the POPULARITY of the MNSSHP and the FW FEST. I don't know what took people so long because it really wasn't a secret. I used to buy the Birnbaum Guidebook (long before I looked at these boards) every year whether or not I was going. And it had always been noted that the fall months were a great time of year to go. Less heat, less crowds, less money... what's not to love!? lol.

When my husband and I first attended 97 98 99 00, the FW FEST was new. I mean you barely knew it was there. Now it's insane. Especially nighttime at WS. It doesn't even have a family feel to me at night. Just feels like a giant pub crawl to me. MNSSHP was sort of new as well. But I think that people all over the country and the world want to have an opportunity to experience these two events, as well as the milder temps (and what they THOUGHT might have been lighter crowds). Pity. I miss those days.

I have only been to Disney in mid to late June '15, '16 and '17 and did not find the crowds to be awful at all. Bag check has always been pleasant and not a long wait. I, unfortunately, do not have a fall trip to compare it to (I'm hoping that changes soon!) I too have heard fall crowds are getting larger.

While I myself am really excited for TSL and could agree this will cause more crowds, I still feel they could have done a little more but maybe that will change when I see it up close and personal.

Last edited:
The 15s will be at the highest intensity level possible this Summer because it is a "World Cup Summer"!

If Brazil and Argentina somehow meet in the Finals on July 15,WDW will cease to exist as we know it!

28358124802_af8d3bbc05_c.jpg

:rotfl2: on July 15 we will be at HS in the morning then hop to AK in the afternoon.

I have my FP's booked & 2 ADR's that day. On 7/16 we start the morning at AK then hop to EP, again 3 FP's & 2 ADR's, should I just cancel 7/16 plans then :confused3.

OK, really, where is the world cup this year & if a game is being played 7/15, wouldn't they at least not be in the park during game time? I think I've seen a pavilion at EP turned into soccer central with a/c, several tvs & viewing lounge, but I don't remember seeing any other activity for soccer or any celebrations. Also, wouldn't the celebration following the game take to the streets & not necessarily a park? Just speculating a bit on what we could see this July for soccer, anyone else have some ideas?

Oh fun! We will be celebrating our daughter's 18th birthday, which is in August, AND our 20th wedding anniversary!!!

:woohoo: Happy Anniversary!!! Our son's 17th birthday is the day before our anniversary and we are ditching him this year. :blush: I am riddled with mom guilt but his older sisters promise they'll make it special for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter