Summer of Heroes - June 2017 Lifestyle/Weight loss Challenge

QOTD -- In the summer I try to walk outside more for a change of scenery. In the winter I am kind of stuck with the rec. I try then to watch shows that are really interesting and only watch them while working out. This past winter it was "How to Get Away With Murder". I couldn't wait to get back to watch the next episode.

++++++++++

I am feeling a bit better today but as soon as I eat I feel crummy. We will see how the day goes. Yesterday, I got lucky and we got a storm in the afternoon that cancelled baseball. I feel bad that my sons last 2 games have been cancelled because of the rain but I really did not want to go last night. It was nice to just lay on the couch and relax so i can feel better.

Since it is summer i don't have many shows to watch so I have been reading a book about Washington Spies during the Revolutionary War. So I got to read a little bit right last night too. It is a really good book so far and it ties into the show Turn that we have been watching for a few years now on the History Channel.

QODT: Ha ha... I can never seem to stick with anything long enough to even establish a routine, at least as far as exercise goes. But with my limited culinary expertise I do get stuck in a routine fixing the same things to eat over and over again. The solution - go out to eat. I did cook my dinner last night, I've been dreaming abut a hamburger with a thick slice of tomato, so I made one... but truth be told it didn't turn out that great as the tomato turned kind of soft and mushy. But I cooked something... well done me.

It's hard to believe it's now been over a week since the crafting retreat. I'm following a lot of other Squammie's on IG now and some are continuing to post pictures... each one is a little slice of heaven. The gal who puts the workshop together had said she wants to move on to new things so there was a general thought that this year would be the last, but she has since announced someone else is going to take it on, so I am thinking I will want to go to the fall session next year.

Yesterday was a better more productive day, even though I didn't get to the thing I had put at the top of my list. I'm hoping today I can be heads down and power thru. I did make my first appointment with the nutritionist, the first of 12 as I'm signing up for a complete session.

Happy Summer Solstice everyone... we are so far north that we really feel the long-ness of the days, and it is supposed to be pretty nice today, so I'm planning on sitting out on the front porch for a while after the healing bells ceremony.

Last edited:
QOTD: I struggle with this hardcore for cardio workouts. Cardio is just sooooo boring. I try changing out machines but it's still terrible. I used to listen to music, then that got boring. Then I listened to audiobooks and that got boring. Then I watched Netflix and THAT got boring! My current kick is reading my Kindle on the treadmill, which seems to be working. Especially because I'm so busy that I don't really have time to read outside of that.

QOTD -- In the summer I try to walk outside more for a change of scenery. In the winter I am kind of stuck with the rec. I try then to watch shows that are really interesting and only watch them while working out. This past winter it was "How to Get Away With Murder". I couldn't wait to get back to watch the next episode.

That is a great idea! When I was watching Netflix, I wasn't reserving a certain show for my workout time. Maybe that will help keep it exciting :)

And how cool that you got to see some of the filming for Captain America!

Today's Question -- I am sure that doing this one scene over and over again gets tiresome and boring for the actors. For us doing the same thing can also be boring and then sometimes it makes it hard to get the motivation to work out. What are some ways that you combat this? Do you change up your routine or just fight through it?

Well I definitely used to switch it up/quit... usually way too soon to see any results whatsoever. Now, I am fighting through and actually getting results. Since I am seeing results, it is a lot easier to keep myself going.

I have this little ritual that DH laughs and laughs at me for but it really helps me: When I'm feeling a little less than motivated and thinking I haven't made any progress, I go through my closet and put on things that don't quite fit yet, but are closer to than before. Then I put on stuff that fits currently that used to not fit. And lastly try on things that are too big and pinch to see how much fabric is extra now. LOL! Sort of like an inspirational walk down memory lane. Usually this is enough to remind me that I'm taking this journey one day at a time, and eventually it WILL all matter.

I'm down 8lbs which is amazing to me. I think that just goes to show just how much added sugar I was consuming.

That is awesome!!! :cheer2:

I struggle with this hardcore for cardio workouts. Cardio is just sooooo boring. I try changing out machines but it's still terrible. I used to listen to music, then that got boring. Then I listened to audiobooks and that got boring. Then I watched Netflix and THAT got boring!

Gahhhh -- I hear ya-- same here! Even now at class when we have a coach yelling intervals in my ear, I am literally counting seconds until the treadmill part is over. :rotfl:

QOTD- Food, I change it up. Exercise is walking/ steps so no change except I make it to 10 k almost every day. Even when that means doing laps in the house at 11:30 pm. I hope to get to a point when I am healthy and strong enough to do more things. I have issues with knee and hip on 1 side that even the steps make it hurt at times.

what a great question!

I count calories and eat mostly whole food. There isn't banned food groups or lists. For me keeping it interesting is a key and if I don't I get bored and start wanting to eat anything and everything

Same with exercises, I let myself choose freely to skip the gym and just go for walk or yoga or just put the music on and dance around.

However there are minimums I do even if I don't feel like it. I track my calories, even if it's just estimate. And I do 10 000 steps. My average is 15000 steps, but if I really don't feel doing anything - I will still get up and get on with it. I may not feel thinking about calories, but adding the number keeps me aware.

For us doing the same thing can also be boring and then sometimes it makes it hard to get the motivation to work out. What are some ways that you combat this? Do you change up your routine or just fight through it?

I sometimes think that I am too good at sticking to routines - and then become lazy about them. Instead of changing it up now and then to keep it fresh and keep giving 100% I just stick to what I am doing and only give 85%. Still better than nothing... It is not that I get bored, but just a bit lazy.

June 21 -- WooHoo Wednesday

black-widow.jpg

Tell us something good that has happened in the past week. It can be about you, weight lose or anything else you would like to share.

Well that picture is bigger then I thought. I am starting to think that none of the marvel characters ever smile. They are always so serious.

My woohoo is that I am feeling better. My plan is to get 10,000 steps today. It will be tough because my son has a game tonight so i am really going to have to sneak in some steps today.

Woohoo it's Wednesday! Happy Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year for those of us in the northern hemisphere... for my neck of the woods that means 15 hours of sun light, and I do mean sun light not necessarily sun shine :earboy2:. Yesterday evening turned out to be overcast, so the length of the day wasn't all that spectacular.

I think my woohoo will be the Tibetan bowl ceremony I went to last evening. The sound of the bowls singing was amazing. The gal had all antique hand pounded bowls and followed traditional ceremonial practices but also followed her intuition about what would best suit the group. At first a series of images came to me each time she changed bowls, kind of memories combined I think with responses to the sounds themselves. Then my behind really started to hurt because of the way I was positioned, and it distracted me. She paused for a little while and then started playing again and my mind was all "nope, done here, kind of feeling trapped, bum hurts, not having any more of this...". I believe that's a really important response to explore, because it mirrors what's going on for me where I'm easily distracted and working at cross purposes with myself, and having my body scream at me for attention is also symbolic. We were supposed to bring an intention and mine was to clear up the physical congestion and find clarity. I am a little less congested and more clear headed this morning, so we'll see how that pans out. It is going to take me a while to process the experience.

Happy Wednesday everyone, may it be filled with multiple woohoos!

Last edited:
I went to the gym this morning in great form
After the gym, walking back I realized I have lost my annual bus ticket (worth about 1300 euro per year!)
I walked back to try to find it, no luck on the way to the gym or in the gym
I walked back again from gym and eventually found it.

PMS & the stress of the above are just not good match

Horrible day in work too. I was late in the morning. It has been week from hell. Problem after problem and my manager is not around. I was on a call I wasn't really prepared to be and I was asked to provide update on two items, one of them I was able to and one I wasn't. I said I will get back to the person after the call but they were sooo rude! On top of that it was very visible call with a lot of management on it.

I have two bookings for hotel and I am trying to call them to link them so we don't have to check out and check in. It's different type of room. I was talking to them yesterday and they said to call today again. However they can't find the reservation! They were able to yesterday! I need to call back in one hour but this is also stressing me out

Why am I saying all that - as I feel the stress sensation in my stomach as I was saying last few days. I need to calm myself, but this sometimes is harder than eating pizza and tub of ice cream.

I just can't wait for today to be over. :(

On the plus side I have done 17000 steps and my meals were healthy. Great workout in the gym and I will go tonight for swim session too

Last edited:
I went to the gym this morning in great form
After the gym, walking back I realized I have lost my annual bus ticket (worth about 1300 euro per year!)
I walked back to try to find it, no luck on the way to the gym or in the gym
I walked back again from gym and eventually found it.

PMS & the stress of the above are just not good match

Horrible day in work too. I was late in the morning. It has been week from hell. Problem after problem and my manager is not around. I was on a call I wasn't really prepared to be and I was asked to provide update on two items, one of them I was able to and one I wasn't. I said I will get back to the person after the call but they were sooo rude! On top of that it was very visible call with a lot of management on it.

I have two bookings for hotel and I am trying to call them to link them so we don't have to check out and check in. It's different type of room. I was talking to them yesterday and they said to call today again. However they can't find the reservation! They were able to yesterday! I need to call back in one hour but this is also stressing me out

Why am I saying all that - as I feel the stress sensation in my stomach as I was saying last few days. I need to calm myself, but this sometimes is harder than eating pizza and tub of ice cream.

I just can't wait for today to be over. :(

On the plus side I have done 17000 steps and my meals were healthy. Great workout in the gym and I will go tonight for swim session too
That sounds awful. I'm sorry you're having such a rough day! At least your getaway is approaching ;)

And great job staying on track- I probably would be knee deep in some Ben & Jerry's by now if that were me.

Sorry for no question today. I will have one in the morning. Today ended up being really crazy with the zoo this morning, a 4 hour allergy test and then PT right after. I am exhausted and can't think of a question right now since I am barley awake. Good news my daughter is not allergic to amoxicillin but we picked up an inhaler that she will need to use before she swims. This will be a new adventure for us as no one my family or my husbands has ever had asthma.

@HappyGrape I am so sorry for the horrible day you had!! Hope today will be better!

@piglet1979 Your daughter is really going through a lot with the PT and the doctors!! The inhaler will really help her, it is amazing what they can do. I have asthma and if I follow my regime of inhalers (I have two, one long term and an emergency one) I don't have any symptoms at all. It might take her a little time to get used to it, but once she has figured it out, it will become second nature to her, just like brushing your teeth.

I also wanted to let you know that I have decided to join the Twitterverse in order to post a few pictures from my upcoming vacation to Shanghai and Japan that will include visits to both the Disney resorts there. If anyone wants to follow along, send me a PM and I will let you know my twitter name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!