Summer Plans

nkosiek

DIS Veteran
So, we are trying to figure out next Summer's stay over the July 4th holiday weekend, plus a few days on either side. I missed my 11 month mark for BLT and am not able to get a standard there, so we are looking at other places and doing a split stay. We are those horrible people who stay in a studio with 2 kids (5 & 2, and will still be those ages when we go).

We are debating between a full 4 days at AKL followed by another 5 at BLT (already booked), a full 4 at the Riv before BLT, or a full 4 at the Poly beforehand. My DW really wants to try the Riv, but the 5 year old wants to stay at AKL. The last option would be a triple split with 2 days at AKL, 2 at the Riv, and then the rest at BLT. Our kids are pretty chill about moving, we've done splits with them before, but never a triple split.

I'm indifferent other than noticing that point-wise, AKL is cheaper. We won't be going back to DW in 2021 as we are planning on taking the kids out to California and DL. My one concern about AKL is wondering if there's an ideal kids' age to be there. Will the kids be too old to be fascinated by the animals and play area by 2022?

Any thoughts or suggestions or just what your preference would be?

If it were me I would go with the split at AKL and BLT. It all depends on what your kids like, but I bet they would still be interested in the animals even in a few years. Everyone we travel with is always super excited to stay at AKL even the adults and kids aged 14 and 16. Riviera will probably be convenient with easy access to Epcot and HS, so its all about what you guys want. Good luck with your decision and I hope this helped and didn’t just confuse you even more!

Just know that if you are trying for RIvera, plan on a preferred studio and plan to go on right at the 7 month mark at 8 am.

They have been disappearing within minutes and SV is being booked up quickly by owners there,

First, I don't think there's anything wrong with a studio for parents with kids your age. I don't know too many people who travel with kids that young and get two rooms....so I highly doubt anyone here will disagree that a studio makes sense for your family.

I hate split stays, so a 3 resort split sounds terrible to me. I know many people here like them, but WDW is a pretty fast pace vacation as it is. Having to move twice, even with as easy as Disney makes it, seems like a lot of work. In 10 years of DVC ownership we've done one split stay....it was our last.

The two times we stayed with our nieces/nephews at AKL they loved it. But I think if you want to stay at Riviera I'd do it now...while they are in the selling process. It's usually one of the easiest times to get into a resort when it's not sold out. And even if you don;t get in at 7 months, there's a better than average chance they declare units which will help fulfill a wait list. I think a few years in DRR will be extremely tough to switch to at 7 months. I'd do DRR now and maybe do a dinner at AKL and maybe pool hop there one day (if allowed).

As far as fascination of the animals, we got a grand villa there a few years ago with kids from 15 to 3. The 3 year old saw the girraffes the first day and was like "wow"...and then 10 minutes later Mickey was on tv and he was like "WWWOOOOOWWWW". Our 7 year old nephew on the other hand...we had to pry him off the balcony every time we were leaving for the park or going to dinner. As i said earlier, I don't have kids so I only know what my nieces/nephews are like. The older kids really enjoyed having a zoo outside their window way more than the youngest. My guess is that in 2022 your kids won't be less interested in the animals..but actually more interested in them.

We have an 8yo and a 4yo and have been doing split stays since they were 6 and 2, but we've only split between 2 resorts!

I was going to suggest a split with RIV because it has 2 murphy beds in the LR - if your 2yo is still in a pack and play or crib, your 5yo could sleep on the smaller murphy and you can keep your couch as a couch - it makes the studio feel much larger as a result. We did this until our 4yo wanted to sleep in the same bed as her sister.

I know this isnt one of your options you asked about, but I had to do a split stay my last trip of nine nights. I had to move my last night to a different room (went from a GFV 2 bedroom dedicated to a 2 bedroom lock off), and hated it.

Remember, each day to move, there is a good chance you will be homeless with the kids until about 4 pm. If I had to choose, I would find a resort with full availability for my stay or stalk and piece meal your trip for a full stay without moving.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter