Sunscreen in carry-on?

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are going to be arriving at MCO very early, so are bringing a carry-on with our bathing suits and will need sunscreen. Can we bring spray sunscreen and a "normal" size of cream sunscreen in our carry-on bag?

And not just in your carry on, but in the one-quart clear ziptop bag with any other liquids, creams, gels, etc you're planning to transport the same way.

We are going to be arriving at MCO very early, so are bringing a carry-on with our bathing suits and will need sunscreen. Can we bring spray sunscreen and a "normal" size of cream sunscreen in our carry-on bag?
Of course you can.

Oh wait, you want to still have it in your carry on after security? Nope, not going to happen. You'll have to throw it out before leaving security, but you can bring it. ;)

Amazon also sells packets of travel sunscreen, I usually get a 24 pack of the SPF 30 banana boat sport (0.4oz each), and throw a few into my 3-1-1 bag so that we have sunscreen for our arrival day, they are also extremely small and much more convenient to carry around the parks, especially if you go bagless than the travel tubes or cans.

You can take containers that hold 100ml or less of liquid, and those containers go into a quart sized baggie. So a "normal" sized container of sunscreen isn't going to work. But you can buy 100ml containers (aka 3.4oz) and decant sunscreen into them then put them in the baggie. Each ticketed passenger gets a baggie.

Thanks for all the info. I had no idea cream sunscreen was considered a "liquid". How about if I brought 3, less than 3 oz. small containers? Do they allow multiples of the same thing?

Multiples of the same thing are fine. You could even fill one person's 3-1-1 bag with 3.4 ounce, or one ounce, or 0.4 ounce packets, or any size 100 no or less, of sunscreen.

Thanks for all the info. I had no idea cream sunscreen was considered a "liquid". How about if I brought 3, less than 3 oz. small containers? Do they allow multiples of the same thing?

It is considered a liquid if it can not hold its shape outside of a container. I believe that multiples of the same thing is ok, as long as they are all in the quart bag.

Yep. I have long thick hair and I always bring multiple travel size bottles of head n shoulders (embarrassing, but I need that product unfortunately). As long as it's a legal item and fits in the bag, you can bring as many as you want.

You can bring multiples of the same item. In fact I usually save the "free" travel size sunscreen that come with my costco multi-pack and put one or two in each person's 311 bag.

Anything that does not hold its shape when out of a container is liquid. So solid deodorant is ok. Roll-on needs to be in the 311 bag

Normal sized no. But what we do is use the lotion and buy a travel size container (about 3oz) and put sunscreen in it. It's easier to keep in my backpack around the parks that way too.

If transferring items to a complaint container, the container should be e marked with its volume by the manufacturer.

Are you bringing with you .. Luggage that is going into the Hold of the aircraft ( Checked Luggage ) ?

If Yes ....... Then put your large bottle of sunscreen ( Well padded with Bubble Wrap ) into case .

Years ago, I learned the hard way. The $18 container of Clinique Sunscreen went in the trash. I had thrown it in my carryon last minute not thinking.

You can bring multiples of the same item. In fact I usually save the "free" travel size sunscreen that come with my costco multi-pack and put one or two in each person's 311 bag.

Anything that does not hold its shape when out of a container is liquid. So solid deodorant is ok. Roll-on needs to be in the 311 bag
You would think solid deodorant would be ok, right? Well, I once had some jumped-up, wanna-be important, TSA guy tell me my solid deodorant had to go into my (full) 3-1-1 bag. His reasoning? It could be melted down into a liquid. Seriously. Well, you can't argue with these guys. They can delay you enough to miss your flight (requiring an expensive walk-up same-day ticket), or worse. So out goes my Wrinkle release and in goes my Secret. I refrained form telling him, by husband's chocolate bars could be melted down as well. DH would have killed me !

Just downloaded the tsa app with its handy "can I bring" feature. Solid deodorant? Permitted.

(If it has to be in the baggie it states the size limitation.)

Yes, but ALL of your carry on 3oz liquids must fit in a quart size zip lock bag or smaller.

Are you bringing with you .. Luggage that is going into the Hold of the aircraft ( Checked Luggage ) ?

If Yes ....... Then put your large bottle of sunscreen ( Well padded with Bubble Wrap ) into case .

The OP stated they are arriving in the morning and I assume that means they are heading straight for the parks. So they will need sunscreen before DME delivers any checked luggage.

That said though, you could buy a bottle of sunscreen in the gift shop when you arrive rather than packing any. True it would be more expensive than normal. You could also order some if you're doing a grocery order and plan to have it arrive before you. Just other options. But for me, I'd squeeze some into a 3 oz container to hold you over until your luggage arrives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!