Sunshade or rear basket on ECV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyfool_1202

The countdown has begun!!
Upcoming trip early August- I have a pride victory 10 and originally opted for sunshade, however, I'm thinking this might be an inconvenience and I should switch to a rear basket (since I have two teenagers that won't want to carry anything...).
Thoughts??

I agree with @kaytieeldr. The sunshade may help in the middle of the day, but will block some of your view, and the size may be an issue. I also would not use a rear basket unless you want one, not for the rest of the family to use. Small kids are a different story, but teens can haul their own gear in my opinion.

I used an ECV at Universal one time. Never again. Not only did it NOT create any shade to really speak of, it gave me fits with sight lines. It created a big blind spots. Plus, I even got hung up on some low hanging branches of a tree. Too much hassle! Now I just use a floppy sunhat and UV blocking clothing.

As for the rear basket, unless there is a physical reason the kids can't carry their back packs, i wouldn't get it either. The are young. They can schlep their own bags. Give them the "I had to carry 20lbs of books to school uphill both ways" speech. LOL Really though, depending on the size of the basket, it may create some difficulties in getting parked on the Disney buses.

We are also going the first two weeks of August :) also !! We reserved 2 victory 10 3 wheel scooters after ALOT a research for my Mom and Dad. We also decided to get a Sun Canopy for one, but a basket for the other. As a back up we purchased 2 large brim sun hats online. The scooter company we rented from said we can trade the sun canopy any time on the other scooter if we would rather have a basket for free, or if we decided the sun canopy was helpful then just call them and they would come and bring a second canopy and exchange it for the basket free. He claimed that their sun canopy's are much different design then most, and are open around the bottom so you have a clear sight of vision, and no blind spots. I'll find out in a few weeks for sure. Even if the Sun Canopy doesn't work out at all, we have the hats and the scooters we rented have built in electric cooling fans they claim to do wonders to keep you cool. Enjoy your vacation! We will be probably be there at the same time!

I would also add that my mom has an oxygen machine that she may or may not need to use. We took that into consideration for the rear basket choice.

you know what was more beneficial for us than those two options? The drink holder option... not all come with drink holders, and it was nice to have right on the armrest.
The 2 Victory 10's that we reserved automatically came standard with a cup holder, cooling fan, phone holder, additional lights, a long range bigger battery, and a usb port for charging phones. The extra free option we were offered was a sun canopy or the basket. So we chose one of each. Will see which one works out the best. First things first, I have to make sure Mom gets confortable enough just to use the scooter.

Another vote for no sun shade. I had one (against my better judgement) for one day. Not only did it interfere with sight lines, but it also interfered with hearing. I had a hard time hearing my DH unless he was right next to me. Then - waiting for a parade, someone came up behind me and decided to use the top of the sunshade as a resting place for their snacks:rolleyes1

The 2 Victory 10's that we reserved automatically came standard with a cup holder, cooling fan, phone holder, additional lights, a long range bigger battery, and a usb port for charging phones. The extra free option we were offered was a sun canopy or the basket. So we chose one of each. Will see which one works out the best. First things first, I have to make sure Mom gets confortable enough just to use the scooter.

That's one suped up ride!

Wow, I am shocked at some of the people saying teens can carry their own stuff. Yes, they can, but if the accessory is free and it makes it easier on everyone, why not get it and let them put their stuff in it? Personally I am all for carrying as little as possible into the parks.

Just a guess, but Gold Mobility?

Wow, I am shocked at some of the people saying teens can carry their own stuff. Yes, they can, but if the accessory is free and it makes it easier on everyone, why not get it and let them put their stuff in it? Personally I am all for carrying as little as possible into the parks.

This view makes a lot more sense if you use a mobility device on a regular basis. Your mobility devices quickly became part of your personal space and an extension of you. If you allow yourself to become the family pack mule, it doesn’t end and becomes one of the most frustrating things. It has to do with autonomy and independence, and gets pretty deep fast if you use these devices more then just at Disney.

This view makes a lot more sense if you use a mobility device on a regular basis. Your mobility devices quickly became part of your personal space and an extension of you. If you allow yourself to become the family pack mule, it doesn’t end and becomes one of the most frustrating things. It has to do with autonomy and independence, and gets pretty deep fast if you use these devices more then just at Disney.

Yes. Exactly. This.

The number of times that we have brought people along on our travel adventures, and they "assume" that since I have "built in storage" that I can just carry an extra purse, those two shopping bags, and OH! Look! You have a hook to hold bags too? I'm just going to hang this little ol' bag from the gift shop *right* there!

The night that *I* was asked to carry the Cinderella Castle Lego set (in that GIANT honkin' box) back across the park, onto the bus and through the Resort... I was done. I don't care if the bag had handles. I don't care that if I had just rearranged everything it could have fit between my feet (and NO it couldn't have) I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. I.am.not.your.personal.pack.mule!

The next day, and ever since, I have had 2 rules about carrying other peoples crap: Rule number 1: I don't carry other people's crap. Rule number 2: See Rule number 1 if you have any questions.

My dads all excited now, but my mom is nervous due to lack of experience.
Just a guess, but Gold Mobility?
Yes, I found them on another post thread here, and everyone seemed to have a positive experience with them. I did a bunch of research on my own after that, and their service record was just spotless. In our particular circumstances they ended up price wise 1/2 of what the "featured company" from the list were charging for an exact comparison. Plus all the free extra stuff thats included in the price. They looked like the best choice for us. We are going the first two weeks of August so I find out first hand.:)

If you get a rear basket for one of the rental style ECVs (like from Buena Vista, etc.) - is it hard to park the ECV on the bus? I got a rear basket once for my rented ECV and ended up taking it off because it seemed huge - it was even harder to get the ECV in the room - lol! I thought I read on here that you couldn't have a rear basket attached to the ECV when on the Disney bus - is that true? I never tried boarding the bus with it on because it annoyed me too much and I took it off right from the start!

If you get the rear basket, can you easily take it off and put it on? I'm thinking of taking it off when getting on the bus, but then putting it on when going around the park.

My dads all excited now, but my mom is nervous due to lack of experience.

OK - take a deep breath, because the following is a bit long, but maybe go through this info with your Mom, and reassure her :)

First of all - please let Mom know right off the bat that the controls on most of the rental ECVs are pretty straightforward, and pretty simple. There is a "speed" knob (typically has a picture of a turtle on one side, and a picture of a rabbit on the other side... Hmmm... :)) Around these parts, we recommend beginners start on "turtle" and go slow - especially until they feel more confident! Then there is the "throttle" itself - typically either you "squeeze" a handle back towards the tiller, or there is a thumb operated control that you push with your thumb to go. That's about it... no brakes, so you have to learn to watch other bi-pedals (people who are walking) very carefully in case they step out in front of you! (and they will) When you want to stop, you let go of the "gas" and the ECV will stop. And let Mom know that you (and the rest of your travel party) can "flank" her, and form a bubble around her, so that she doesn't have to worry as much about people walking right into her/in front of her.

Once the scooter has been dropped off, the Resort is a *great* place to practice! Here she can practice turning (especially get used to how tightly he can turn) backing up, maneuvering through food service and shops, curb cuts, and - of course - getting on and off the bus! Another great place for daytime practice (if you have some free time in your plans) is Disney Springs; during the day it is often not very busy, and those buses (again during the day) tend to not be as crowded, so it's a good first experience. She can just let the bus drivers know that she is a scooter newbie, and they will help her get on the bus and parked. She will be surprised at how quickly she gets the hang of it! And, if Dad turns out to be an expert "bus parker" then he can park his ECV, walk down the ramp, and ride her ECV on and park it too. The bus driver won't care, I promise! :)

Do remember to plan ahead a bit on how your group wants to handle things if a bus arrives, and there is only space for 1 scooter/mobility device on the bus. Some groups like to break up and go on, sending half the party with 1 scooter, and the rest of the party on the next bus, and they meet at a designated location. Just be prepared with how your group wants to handle that - you can always wait for the next bus (and be sure to build extra time - let's say an additional 20 to 30 minutes) to allow for a wait for another bus.

And everyone here who has mentioned this is serious: Tell Mom that practicing first (by using the scooter carts at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) will go a LONG way towards getting her ready for WDW! If she can master one of those giant wheezing beasties... she will be just fine at WDW.

Regarding rain: Some vendors will have a clear "shower cap" to put over the controls; others include a poncho. Obviously, we try to keep our scooters (and especially the exposed electronic controls) as dry as possible, but it's Florida, and you will most likely get caught in a shower at some point. Don't panic - use what the vendor supplies, and they can always wear a standard Parks poncho, put the back of the poncho OVER the seat back (so it hangs down behind the scooter) and put the FRONT of the poncho OVER the front of the scooter to cover the controls, and go on!

I can't stress this enough - charge the batteries overnight, every night for both ECVs. A rental ECV should be able to go all day at WDW if it is properly and fully charged overnight. The exception to this is if a customer needs a larger size (bariatric) unit, and tries to "get by" with an undersized unit, the battery will drain faster because it is under a greater strain than it is designed for. Make sure the ECV you rent is the right size for the rider! :) Both ECVs should be able to fit into any Resort room at WDW.

It's important to have the office hours & availability of your mobility vendor at hand. (in this case, Gold) (Prior to owning my own ECV, I would make an address book or contacts entry in my phone for any mobility vendor I would rent from, so that I could access the number easily. In the "Notes" area, I would include information like office hours, and ask them about emergency after hours information.)

Do take the time to ask the vendor what their current after-hours policy is regarding an emergency - like if the unit stops working altogether (but the battery was charged) or if the battery won't hold a charge at all. Most of the time you will know if there is a problem well before they close the office for the day, but rarely, an ECV will fail later in the evening. If it should happen, find a Cast Member, tell them you need assistance (you may have to ask for a Manager to come help) and then leave a message for the vendor, and follow any emergency instructions they have given you.

Some people will confuse the *cosmetic condition* of the scooter with it's ability to perform. Rental scooters do receive a lot of abuse at the hands of either new users, or careless users ("It's not mine, so I don't care!") and often this shows in the cosmetic condition of the scooter - scuffs, scrapes, broken plastic covers, ripped seats, etc. As long as the unit *performs* - meaning it runs all day on a full charge, and gets you around safely - don't worry about how it looks.

Buy a cheap, colorful bandana, or a roll of brightly colored/patterned grosgrain ribbon from either Walmart or Hobby Lobby (they both sell ribbon and bandanas - pick something you like!) and tie it somewhere on the ECV that is visible. It will help distinguish your parents rentals from a sea of identical rental units outside of rides, attractions, dining, etc. The more you decorate your rentals, the easier it will be to spot quickly!

Last, but not least, snap a couple of photos of the ECVs when they are dropped off (both sides of each unit) and keep your paperwork safe somewhere besides the scooters. Just like when you rent a car, you want to be able to prove the condition the units were in when it was delivered to you. Make sure that the batteries are fully charged when they are dropped off (it should be) and that the charger is with each unit.

Let Mom know if she has any specific concerns, we will be glad to help address those! :)

And go have fun! :)

OK - take a deep breath, because the following is a bit long, but maybe go through this info with your Mom, and reassure her :)

First of all - please let Mom know right off the bat that the controls on most of the rental ECVs are pretty straightforward, and pretty simple. There is a "speed" knob (typically has a picture of a turtle on one side, and a picture of a rabbit on the other side... Hmmm... :)) Around these parts, we recommend beginners start on "turtle" and go slow - especially until they feel more confident! Then there is the "throttle" itself - typically either you "squeeze" a handle back towards the tiller, or there is a thumb operated control that you push with your thumb to go. That's about it... no brakes, so you have to learn to watch other bi-pedals (people who are walking) very carefully in case they step out in front of you! (and they will) When you want to stop, you let go of the "gas" and the ECV will stop. And let Mom know that you (and the rest of your travel party) can "flank" her, and form a bubble around her, so that she doesn't have to worry as much about people walking right into her/in front of her.

Once the scooter has been dropped off, the Resort is a *great* place to practice! Here she can practice turning (especially get used to how tightly he can turn) backing up, maneuvering through food service and shops, curb cuts, and - of course - getting on and off the bus! Another great place for daytime practice (if you have some free time in your plans) is Disney Springs; during the day it is often not very busy, and those buses (again during the day) tend to not be as crowded, so it's a good first experience. She can just let the bus drivers know that she is a scooter newbie, and they will help her get on the bus and parked. She will be surprised at how quickly she gets the hang of it! And, if Dad turns out to be an expert "bus parker" then he can park his ECV, walk down the ramp, and ride her ECV on and park it too. The bus driver won't care, I promise! :)

Do remember to plan ahead a bit on how your group wants to handle things if a bus arrives, and there is only space for 1 scooter/mobility device on the bus. Some groups like to break up and go on, sending half the party with 1 scooter, and the rest of the party on the next bus, and they meet at a designated location. Just be prepared with how your group wants to handle that - you can always wait for the next bus (and be sure to build extra time - let's say an additional 20 to 30 minutes) to allow for a wait for another bus.

And everyone here who has mentioned this is serious: Tell Mom that practicing first (by using the scooter carts at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) will go a LONG way towards getting her ready for WDW! If she can master one of those giant wheezing beasties... she will be just fine at WDW.

Regarding rain: Some vendors will have a clear "shower cap" to put over the controls; others include a poncho. Obviously, we try to keep our scooters (and especially the exposed electronic controls) as dry as possible, but it's Florida, and you will most likely get caught in a shower at some point. Don't panic - use what the vendor supplies, and they can always wear a standard Parks poncho, put the back of the poncho OVER the seat back (so it hangs down behind the scooter) and put the FRONT of the poncho OVER the front of the scooter to cover the controls, and go on!

I can't stress this enough - charge the batteries overnight, every night for both ECVs. A rental ECV should be able to go all day at WDW if it is properly and fully charged overnight. The exception to this is if a customer needs a larger size (bariatric) unit, and tries to "get by" with an undersized unit, the battery will drain faster because it is under a greater strain than it is designed for. Make sure the ECV you rent is the right size for the rider! :) Both ECVs should be able to fit into any Resort room at WDW.

It's important to have the office hours & availability of your mobility vendor at hand. (in this case, Gold) (Prior to owning my own ECV, I would make an address book or contacts entry in my phone for any mobility vendor I would rent from, so that I could access the number easily. In the "Notes" area, I would include information like office hours, and ask them about emergency after hours information.)

Do take the time to ask the vendor what their current after-hours policy is regarding an emergency - like if the unit stops working altogether (but the battery was charged) or if the battery won't hold a charge at all. Most of the time you will know if there is a problem well before they close the office for the day, but rarely, an ECV will fail later in the evening. If it should happen, find a Cast Member, tell them you need assistance (you may have to ask for a Manager to come help) and then leave a message for the vendor, and follow any emergency instructions they have given you.

Some people will confuse the *cosmetic condition* of the scooter with it's ability to perform. Rental scooters do receive a lot of abuse at the hands of either new users, or careless users ("It's not mine, so I don't care!") and often this shows in the cosmetic condition of the scooter - scuffs, scrapes, broken plastic covers, ripped seats, etc. As long as the unit *performs* - meaning it runs all day on a full charge, and gets you around safely - don't worry about how it looks.

Buy a cheap, colorful bandana, or a roll of brightly colored/patterned grosgrain ribbon from either Walmart or Hobby Lobby (they both sell ribbon and bandanas - pick something you like!) and tie it somewhere on the ECV that is visible. It will help distinguish your parents rentals from a sea of identical rental units outside of rides, attractions, dining, etc. The more you decorate your rentals, the easier it will be to spot quickly!

Last, but not least, snap a couple of photos of the ECVs when they are dropped off (both sides of each unit) and keep your paperwork safe somewhere besides the scooters. Just like when you rent a car, you want to be able to prove the condition the units were in when it was delivered to you. Make sure that the batteries are fully charged when they are dropped off (it should be) and that the charger is with each unit.

Let Mom know if she has any specific concerns, we will be glad to help address those! :)

And go have fun! :)

Thanks for all the tips!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter