Super Sidekicks September Exercise Challenge

I and the team have both turned Baloo Blue! Go team! party:

Today's sidekick is Thumper from Bambi, who is named after his habit of thumping his foot. He is voiced by Peter Behn, then four years old (child), Tim Davis (adolescent), and Sam Edwards (adult). Thumper teaches Bambi all about the forest. He originally had a smaller role, but was expanded so that the too-adult story focused more on the young animals.

Here's a great Thumper quote, repeating what his father told him (at his mother's prompting): "'Eating greens is a special treat, It makes long ears and great big feet.' But it sure is awful stuff to eat. I made that last part up myself."

Last edited:

Congratulations to PollyannaMom and Elizabeth Smith for turning Baloo Blue! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

In honor of Labor Day in the US today, let's feature a working character -- Tow Mater, sidekick to Lightning McQueen in Cars. According to Wikipedia, he's inspired by a 1951 International Harvester boom truck once used to lift equipment from mine shafts in Kansas, and his voice (provided by Larry the Cable Guy) is patterned after Oklahoman Harley Russell. Mater's specialty is driving backward.

Here's a cute clip from the Disney Parks Blog about Mater at Cars Land this summer:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...d-guests-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

Congratulations Tasha228 for turning Baloo Blue!

Another blue Disney/Pixar character is Dory, sidekick to Nemo's father Marlin in Finding Nemo. (Like Mater, she was so popular that she became the protagonist in a sequel, in her case Finding Dory.) Dory is a blue tang who is sunny and optimistic but suffers from short-term memory loss. She is voiced by Ellen DeGeneres--because when the director/screenwriter went home to write, his wife was watching The Ellen DeGeneres Show. He heard Ellen's voice, decided to make the character female, and successfully sought to cast Ellen in the role.

Shrfleen and I have reached Olaf Orange!

Olaf the snowman is, of course, the epitome of his movie -- Frozen. Sadly for him (though it results in a hilarious song for the audience) he longs for summer. Olaf will soon be seen in a short, Olaf's Frozen Adventure, that will show before Disney/Pixar's Coco (opening in November) for a limited time.

Here's a sweet story by Olaf's voice, Josh Gad, quoted from IMDB:

In an interview on "Fresh Air with Terry Gross," Josh Gad (Olaf) said that when he took his older daughter (then about four years old) to her first-ever movie in a theater (Monsters University), there was a trailer beforehand for Frozen. The trailer didn't contain any of Olaf's lines or songs, but did feature the brief sound of Olaf laughing. Gad said that as soon as his daughter heard that laugh, she said, "That's Dada, more Dada." Gad started crying in the movie theater.

:welcome: Twilight Sparkle and PollyannaMom to Olaf Orange!

People mostly remember Buddy Ebsen for The Beverly Hillbillies and Barnaby Jones, but he also played a Disney sidekick -- George "Georgie" Russell, sidekick to Fess Parker's Davy Crockett. There were five episodes of the TV show, some of which were later reconfigured into the movie Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier. It appears that George Russell really did exist, but he didn't accompany David Crockett to the Alamo.

As for Buddy Ebsen, did anyone know that his real name was Christian Ludolf Ebsen, Jr.?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter