Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how much notice we had of the opening date before Shanghai Disney opened?

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/...theme-parks-can-reopen-in-stage-3-state-says/
Disneyland and other California theme parks currently closed by the COVID-19 pandemic can reopen during Stage 3 of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s four-stage road map for reopening the state’s economy, according to state officials.

Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood, Knott’s Berry Farm, Six Flags Magic Mountain, SeaWorld San Diego, Legoland California and other theme parks fall into Stage 3 of California’s road map for reopening, according to state officials.

“Theme parks are slated to open in Stage 3 if the rate of spread of COVID-19 and hospitalizations remain stable,” according to California Health and Human Services Agency spokesperson Kate Folmar.

Newsom said California could move into Stage 3 in June.

“Phase 3 is not a year away. It’s not six months away. It’s not even three months away. It may not even be more than a month away,” Newsom said during a daily press briefing in mid-May. “We just want to make sure we have a protocol in place to secure customer safety, employee safety and allow the businesses to thrive in a way that is sustainable.”

Newsom has not set a specific date when Stage 3 could begin in California.

“The science and data of how COVID-19 hospitalizations are progressing, how prepared hospitals are for increased cases and whether hospitals have adequate personal protective equipment will guide when the state enters stage 3,” Folmar said via email.

California theme parks are among the “higher risk” businesses and gatherings that would reopen in Stage 3 with adaptations and limits on the size of gatherings, according to Folmar.

“The California Department of Public Health will issue detailed guidance with suggested modifications for how to minimize the risk of COVID-19 spread when theme parks reopen,” Folmar said via email.

Other Stage 3 close-contact businesses and gatherings include salons, gyms, theaters, religious services, weddings and sporting events without live audiences.

The state will work with California theme parks on developing COVID-19 health and safety reopening plans, according to Folmar.

“We will work with employers and employees on developing guidance,” Folmar said via email.

The state could issue guidance on theme parks in the “near term,” according to Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster.

Disneyland has not submitted a COVID-19 health and safety reopening plan to the city, county or state, according to Lyster. Anaheim will be closely watching the phased reopenings of Shanghai Disneyland in China and the Walt Disney World resort in Florida to learn best practices, according to Lyster.

“Disney is fantastic at crowd control,” Lyster said by phone.

The Shanghai Disneyland theme park reopened with advance reservations on May 11. The Disney Springs and Universal CityWalk outdoor malls at the theme park resort properties in Florida have reopened with new health and safety protocols.

Legoland Florida plans to reopen on June 1. Universal Orlando is scheduled to reopen on June 5. SeaWorld Orlando hopes to reopen in June. Disney World is expected to submit a theme park reopening plan to Florida officials this week.

No California theme parks have announced firm reopening dates after 10 weeks of coronavirus closures.
Adding on, According to this article, Legoland and SeaWorld SD are targeting 7/1 as a reopening date and meeting with county reps tomorrow to present plans:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ttractions-prepare-to-reopen-targeting-july-1

the last that I recall the situation was that you keep your current expiration date and get a partial rebate for the length of the closure, unless you call and ask for the option to extend your time by adding the length of the closure past your expiration date.

has there been an update to this or did I get it wrong?
Here is the link to the DLR webpage with the current AP info: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/travel-information/.
If you are paid in full and want the extension (no refund), there is no need to call. If you are paid in full and want the partial refund (no extension, same expiration date), you must call.
If you are on the monthly payment plan and want the partial refund (same expiration date), you don't have to call. If you are on the monthly payment plan and want the extension (no refund), then you must call.
To be extra safe, you could call no matter which option you want, just to make sure that your choice is entered in your account.

I know it's not DL. But at WDW they will be opening Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom July 11. Hollywood Studios and Epcot will open July 15. Masks are required and there will be dated tickets. No character meet and greets. No parades and fireworks.
Could give a clue on Disneyland's opening rules.

Not until July 11/15?? There goes my little bit of hope DL will be open by July 6.

The opening dates for WDW don't give me much hope for our VGC July 21 stay. Sigh. I was hoping mid-June opening for WDW and mid-July for DLR. Guess that's out the window now.

Tell ya what....all the phone lines to WDW reservations are 'temporarily busy'. I have a feeling that they've just turned them off since everyone is going to be calling to ask questions no one has answers to!

(I was calling to make the deposit payment on our WDW stay next year)

Did they say anything about APs? Or just dated tickets?

ETA: Walt Disney World Presents Proposal to Reopen Parks Beginning July 11th
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-theme-parks-resort-hotels-and-disney-stores/
Here is the blog post. A portion of it regarding tickets and passes:
Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold; we’ll be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new ticket sales and hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold;

So I'm interpreting that to mean that the 'general public' (ie people with no AP/tickets) will not be able to get tickets until sometime AFTER the July reopening dates? OR would be limited to 'same day' reservations subject to capacity IF there are any left after AP/current holders have made reservations.

Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold;

So I'm interpreting that to mean that the 'general public' (ie people with no AP/tickets) will not be able to get tickets until sometime AFTER the July reopening dates? OR would be limited to 'same day' reservations subject to capacity IF there are any left after AP/current holders have made reservations.
I read that the same way. I also think it is interesting that it suggests individuals currently holding multi-day tickets may be able to make reservations after all. Still holding out for my expiration date deadline extension! I've picked up the phone to call and get a refund no less than a dozen times, and for some reason, my fingers just can't dial the numbers.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!