Suprise trip Cheapskate style...

Pictures from Harry Potter Exhibit @ MSI

CIMG0060.jpg

CIMG0078.jpg

CIMG0029.jpg

I still haven't heard from the folks at Universal so I am not changing any Disney plans until I get official confirmation.

2 weeks! 2 Weeks! I can't believe we are down to the final 2 Weeks!!! I had a weigh in at work today. I am down another 4.6 lbs.
:yay::woohoo::yay:
Can I get a Woo Hoo for that?
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
My co-worker says you do so much walking that is offsets all the eating. Has anyone had that experience. I don't want the diet to get in the way of the enjoyment of free dining...

In other news no word yet from Universal... I sent another email with the pictures I took at the event hoping that would act as another reminder... I am glad I haven't changed any of my plans yet. They will probably contact me at the last minute and I will have to scurry around at the last minute to try and switch things up.

I got this idea for autograph books off of themouseforless.com web site. I know that I will be scrapping the autographs the kids get along with their photos with the characters but I didn't want to pre-make an album and then see a character that wasn't featured in the album already. This was really easy and not very time consuming and way less money that the autograph books they sell at Disney.

I basically dropped free clipart available online into a template for printable postcards. adjusted the size of each one to allow room on the cards for a signature. Printed 2 sets one for each child and put them together in a book. you can take it to any printshop like alphagraphics or kinkos and they should be able to punch and bind the cards into a book for you. They are going to be in the surprise goodie bags at the big reveal along with fat sharpies...

CIMG0113.jpg

CIMG0116.jpg

I keep hearing about how hot and humid it is in Florida in Mid September. I tried to plan our Halloween costumes accordingly.

I am still in search of cute and humorous Halloween shirts for DH and I. I might have to cave and pay the outrageous prices at one of those seasonal Halloween stores that are beginning to open. I was hoping Walmart might have something to fit the bill sooner rather than later.

Not sure if I mentioned it before but the Kids have appointments the day of the Party and BBB and Pirate's league. In an effort to keep the costs down and my DD comfort level up, I purchased a Cinderella Nightgown from the Disney Store. It is light blue with a filmy fabric overlay. It is actually styled very much like Cindy's dress just made out of cotton and no itchy tulle. With this "dress" and her hair and Makeup perfectly styled by BBB she will be just a perfect princess princess: Oh yea and it was on clearance for $12.99 :thumbsup2

DS has a Pirate's of the Caribbean T-shirt pirate: with a flaming Jolly Roger on the front. He is not allowed to wear it to school and loves to wear it on the weekends. I plan on having him wear that with regular shorts, But I also found a pirate hat, hook and eye patch at the dollar store...all in one set. I realize he will get a bandanna and I think an eye patch from PL. But the rest of the set was perfect. Also the hat is made out of this soft foamy material so if it gets squished in the suitcase it springs right back into shape.

I love some of the other costumes and outfits available online this year but I decided to take a pass in the name of comfort and cost, because lets face it I am a cheapskate...

I have really enjoyed reading your updates. You have got your stuff together.
I love reading about surprises, I guess I will have to wait until you get back and do a TR to read abou tthe big reveal. I'm looking forward to that.

I gained weight on my first trip to Disney, it was mostly from drinking so much soda, so on my second trip I tried to avoid the soda or at least order diet and I also had tons of bottled water.

the croc question. I swear by them. I had blisters on my blisters for my first trip. My second trip I wore crocs and never even had tired feet. That is just my opinion.

Your trip is so close, I can only imagine at this point the excitement you must feel, how are you able to keep it a secret? Do you just scream into a pillow or what?

I am looking forward to your next update.

Ty

I am about to jump out of my skin in excitement... It's amazing my employers keep me employed...I can't concentrate on anything but Disney. I am OBSESSED with the reveal. I don't know how much longer I can contain myself! Yesterday to fulfill my binder envy urge I created a colorful planner of sorts to show the kids when we finally have the big reveal. It has a couple sentences about each park and where we are dining each day. I also put a page together with what to do if lost and a picture of a CM Badge. I put each page into plastic sleeves and put copies of park maps and dining reservations behind. Now I just need to find a presentation folder to put it all together in.

It's a wonder they haven't caught on yet, the kids I mean. We have never owned so much Disney paraphernalia and I have become an expert fibber. In fact if the kids were to just ask me I could probably tell them that we are going to DW and they would be like "yeah, right mom... sure"

I decided to skip the shoe debate and in an effort to save money I will just bring my favorite theme park sandals and flip flops as back up. We are bringing an insulated backpack and a fanny pack for cameras, water in the park, snacks and the like... I even bought the Disney fruit snacks to bring along only $1.79 at Woodmans. If there are any Chicago Lurkers out there it is my FAVORITE grocery store for steals and deals.

I have been talking to my SIL's that we will be visiting in GA and trying to finalize the plans for the drive down. We have found a nearby state park with Grills and covered tables so we can kick off the reunion with a big party in the park.

I have also been filling my time by planning the roadtrip home. We are going to be stopping in Nashville, TN and staying at a Best Western near the airport. To follow our "Food Network" theme from the trip down we will have breakfast at the Loveless Cafe. Bobby Flay had a throwdown there with Fay the Biscuit Lady. I ate there myself last fall and can attest that those are some of the best biscuits I have ever eaten in my life. After breakfast we need to head back to Sweet Home Chicago. I think we will travel by way of Nashville's Parthenon for one last photo op. My DS LOVES Greek Mythology and would be over the moon at the chance to see even a replica up close and in person. Then it is a long ride home to reacquaint ourselves into reality.

:cool1::cool1::dance3::banana::dance3::banana::dance3::banana::cool1::cool1:

10 Days... Time for online check in... it went smoother than I thought but I ended up calling in some more requests. I requested a room on the first floor in the "lady" building of the 50's section. It seems to be close vicinity to the parking lots and I know that we will probably be driving to the parks a lot. Yet from what I have read it is fairly quiet and close to a pool... I hope we get all of our requests.

10 DAY DANCE!!!
:dance3::dance3::dance3:

OK so technically we arrive in Disney in 9 days!!!! But we leave for the trip to Savannah this Friday so it is really like 6 days and counting. I am working 1/2 day on Friday and then we are leaving and tag team driving the whole night through. This will be killer but I think it will be worth it... not only will we get there sooner but I am saving the expense of one more night in a hotel. We know our limits and are pretty good about pulling over to sleep if necessary. So 6 days it is and if I look at the time it is now vs the time we will be leaving and then use "Fuzzy Disney Math" it is really just 5 days until our departure!!!!!

Just to throw a few more wrenches in our plans my DH says he wants to have a few people over on Monday (Labor Day). Some how a few people has ballooned into 30 adults and children. What are you kidding me??? Now I have to cook and clean for 30 people where as before I could have picked up and thrown the rest in a closet for a few people. Luckily everyone has been told to bring a dish to share... This doesn't bode well for the weight loss plan...

The other wrench is a good wrench I suppose (no not the tool man) Universal finally got back to me an we will be Racing through their two parks on Wednesday when we would otherwise be in Epcot. I was really looking forward to Epcot too. That was the day with the least amount of reservations to change. So If I can get everyone out of Universal by 3:00pm then we can hopefully get a chance to do a few things in Epcot before our Dinner reservations at 7:30 in the Biergarten. Any suggestions on must rides at Universal??? Has anyone been before???? I am thinking Shrek and Simpsons for sure and I want to make sure we see the Dr. Seuss Island in IOA. Do you think if we get to Epcot by 4 that we would have time to do Test Track, Soarin and Kim Possible before our ADR? Also we now will have an extra CS credit to use... Breakfast or extra snacks from Goofy's Candy Company? Oh the choices...

Still no Halloween shirts, Thanks Kathy for the orange shirt idea I am seriously considering it. I may just bring the shirts and paint with us and make them there just in case I see shirt there I can use instead.

I have a question about the birthday fun card?!?!?! Does it have to be spent on the day of the birthday or can we use it until it is gone? Wednesday is DH birthday and that is the day we are gong to be flitting abut Orlando. I would really prefer not to have to Race over to DTD after Illuminations to spend the Fun Card. I plan on having him do his shopping at World of Disney because we get a 10% discount there with our AAA package.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:SINGLE DIGIT DANCE!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Gee, Pam, I'm sorry! I've never been able to tear myself away from Disney property, so I'm no help with anything Universal! :confused3

Here is the official word on the Birthday admission and fun card:

COMPLIMENTARY BIRTHDAY THEME PARK ADMISSION

** You can either pre-register for your complimentary birthday admission or fill out forms at the gate. The following restrictions apply:

You must be 18 to register online. If you are under the age of 18, an adult must register for you
You must produce proof of your birth date and appropriate ID which includes a Driver's license, State or Government issued ID or Government issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and do not have any of the above, either an original or notarized birth certificate must be shown
This offer applies to guests ages 3 and up and is open to all
You can upgrade your ticket at an additional cost and it can only be used by the birthday celebrant. Select guests who receive the One Day/One Park ticket which is valid for 12 months may not upgrade it.

If you have a multi-day ticket or are a Seasonal/Annual Passholder, you can choose from the following options:

A One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket which can be used anytime before your next birthday
A special "Birthday FastPass" for the celebrant and up to 5 members in his/her party - NOTE: These are limited and may not be available after 11:00am
A Birthday Fun Card (see below) equal in price to a One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket that can be used on your birthday for merchandise, activities and activities. (Adults receive the equivalent of an adult ticket, kids age 3 -9 get the equivalent of a child's ticket)
Birthday Fun Card:

You may use the Birthday Fun Card only towards the purchase of merchandise at participating merchandise owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the payment of Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort room/charges or a Disney Cruise Line reservation or towards the purchase of any food and beverage items, alcohol, cigarettes, spa services and products, or personal services such as face painting, caricature drawings, hair braiding, and hair wrapping.
The Birthday Fun Card is not accepted at Walt Disney World Resort Operating Participant locations, including but not limited to, China, Japan, and Morocco pavilions at Epcot, Arribas Brothers, Basin, Basin White, Cirque du Soleil, Curl by Sammy Duval, Ghiradelli, House of Blues, Hoypoloi, LEGO Imagination Center, Magic Masters, Magnetron, Niki Bryan Spas, Orlando Harley Davidson Store, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Richard Petty Driving Experience, Rubio Balloon Arts, SD Watersports, Sosa Cigar, Starabillias, Sunglass Icon, Surrey Bike Rental, Virgin Megastore, Wyland Galleries and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World Resort.
The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland Resort Operating Participant locations or any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Disneyland Resort, including but not limited to, Midway Games, Names Unraveled, Jewel of Orleans, Silhouette Studio, Portrait Artists, Parasol Cart, Heraldry Shop, Crystal Shops (Crystal Arts & Crystal d'Orleans), Paradise Pier Face Painting, Airbrush Tattoos, Rubio Portrait Artist or at Downtown Disney District locations except the World of Disney Store, Marceline's Confectionery, and the Downtown Disney District Pin Cart. The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland Resort outdoor vending carts.
No portion of the Birthday Fun Card balances will be redeemed for cash.
The terms of acceptance of the Birthday Fun Card by participating Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort locations may vary. Check with individual locations for Birthday Fun Card program participation details.
The Birthday Fun Card will not be replaced if lost or stolen, except as may be required by law.
A damaged Birthday Fun Card will only be replaced if the original card is presented on the day the card was issued to the Guest Relations Lobby at Disney's California Adventure Park or City Hall at Disneyland Park.
The Birthday Fun Card may not be resold in any manner whatsoever.
The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the purchase of any Disney Dollars or gift certificates/cards.
The Birthday Fun Card is issued by and represents an obligation of Disney Gift Card Services, Inc.
The Birthday Fun Card is not a credit or debit card and carries no warranties, express or implied
Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your birthday fun card

Kathy

Gee, Pam, I'm sorry... I've never been able to tear myself away from Disney property, so I know nothing about Universal! :confused3

Here is info about the birthday stuff:

COMPLIMENTARY BIRTHDAY THEME PARK ADMISSION

** You can either pre-register for your complimentary birthday admission or fill out forms at the gate. The following restrictions apply:

You must be 18 to register online. If you are under the age of 18, an adult must register for you
You must produce proof of your birth date and appropriate ID which includes a Driver's license, State or Government issued ID or Government issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and do not have any of the above, either an original or notarized birth certificate must be shown
This offer applies to guests ages 3 and up and is open to all
You can upgrade your ticket at an additional cost and it can only be used by the birthday celebrant. Select guests who receive the One Day/One Park ticket which is valid for 12 months may not upgrade it.

If you have a multi-day ticket or are a Seasonal/Annual Passholder, you can choose from the following options:

A One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket which can be used anytime before your next birthday
A special "Birthday FastPass" for the celebrant and up to 5 members in his/her party - NOTE: These are limited and may not be available after 11:00am
A Birthday Fun Card (see below) equal in price to a One Day Magic Your Way Base Ticket that can be used on your birthday for merchandise, activities and activities. (Adults receive the equivalent of an adult ticket, kids age 3 -9 get the equivalent of a child's ticket)
Birthday Fun Card:

You may use the Birthday Fun Card only towards the purchase of merchandise at participating merchandise owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts. The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the payment of Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort room/charges or a Disney Cruise Line reservation or towards the purchase of any food and beverage items, alcohol, cigarettes, spa services and products, or personal services such as face painting, caricature drawings, hair braiding, and hair wrapping.
The Birthday Fun Card is not accepted at Walt Disney World Resort Operating Participant locations, including but not limited to, China, Japan, and Morocco pavilions at Epcot, Arribas Brothers, Basin, Basin White, Cirque du Soleil, Curl by Sammy Duval, Ghiradelli, House of Blues, Hoypoloi, LEGO Imagination Center, Magic Masters, Magnetron, Niki Bryan Spas, Orlando Harley Davidson Store, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Richard Petty Driving Experience, Rubio Balloon Arts, SD Watersports, Sosa Cigar, Starabillias, Sunglass Icon, Surrey Bike Rental, Virgin Megastore, Wyland Galleries and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World Resort.
The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland Resort Operating Participant locations or any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Disneyland Resort, including but not limited to, Midway Games, Names Unraveled, Jewel of Orleans, Silhouette Studio, Portrait Artists, Parasol Cart, Heraldry Shop, Crystal Shops (Crystal Arts & Crystal d'Orleans), Paradise Pier Face Painting, Airbrush Tattoos, Rubio Portrait Artist or at Downtown Disney District locations except the World of Disney Store, Marceline's Confectionery, and the Downtown Disney District Pin Cart. The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland Resort outdoor vending carts.
No portion of the Birthday Fun Card balances will be redeemed for cash.
The terms of acceptance of the Birthday Fun Card by participating Walt Disney World or Disneyland Resort locations may vary. Check with individual locations for Birthday Fun Card program participation details.
The Birthday Fun Card will not be replaced if lost or stolen, except as may be required by law.
A damaged Birthday Fun Card will only be replaced if the original card is presented on the day the card was issued to the Guest Relations Lobby at Disney's California Adventure Park or City Hall at Disneyland Park.
The Birthday Fun Card may not be resold in any manner whatsoever.
The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the purchase of any Disney Dollars or gift certificates/cards.
The Birthday Fun Card is issued by and represents an obligation of Disney Gift Card Services, Inc.
The Birthday Fun Card is not a credit or debit card and carries no warranties, express or implied
Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your birthday fun card

Kathy

Thanks for all the info...I also searched the Mom's panel and most of them said it does not expire. One person said they did so I am sure we will find out for sure when we get there.

In other news I have been trying to intercept the mail lately as I knew we should be receiving some things from a Fairy God Mailer. I have now received both the cards she sent one for each kid!:hug: How nice was that!:lovestruc We are going to use them as part of the big reveal!!!!:rotfl: They are so cute and I am so excited now to Pay it Forward to some other kids. I seriously found an old roll of .39 stamps and I am looking forward to sending lots of postcards!!!:woohoo:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust::woohoo:

Two kids are finally sleeping...looks like another night of commando packing!

There are only 3 days left to pack!!!! We leave on Friday as soon as the kids get home from school. Now keep in mind for this portion of the trip they think we are only going as far as Georgia...

Crisis averted...

We had our party today and I have to say it was a huge success! It was so nice to get together with all of our friends. Our neighbors who visited Disney in June were over and their kids were squealing over the Disney Lithograph I have in my family room. So the Dad leaned down and told his son that we were going to Disney next week. OK fine my kids weren't nearby... well then this little 5 year old starts running around telling everyone we are going to Disney and nearly ruined the surprise. Luckily DD was absorbed in Barbies and DS was concentrating on eating his BBQ. The Boys Mom scooped him up and took him home and told him he couldn't come back to the party until he stopped talking about Disney. The mom felt Soooo bad... and made him stay home and get ready for bed. It really wasn't much of an issue but I would have been so bummed to have kept this secret for 5 months only to have it blown with less than a week to go by a twirpy 5 year old. Now I just have to keep my kids away from their kids for 3 more days...

:yay::yay::woohoo::woohoo::dance3::dance3::woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay:

So I have been covertly packing all of our stuff this week, So far the kids haven't noticed anything missing. I gave up trying to root out socks and underwear and just bought new. I am pretty sure my DS does not have 9 pairs of shorts and I know DH does not either. Does anyone have experience with doing Laundry at the value properties? Are there any Laundramats near Disney?:confused:

My plan is to have the car packed Thursday night so when everyone gets home from school and work we can just hop in the car.:yay::woohoo:

MSNBC.com had a list of the top 10 all you can eat Buffet's in the world and Paula Deen's was on the list. Not too suprisingly non of Disney's were listed.:sad2::sad2:

Good luck with packing!

Uggh! It's hard enough to get ready for a Disney trip without having to worry about spilling the beans! :eek: Glad your friend was able to spirit the little blabbermouth away!!

If you can bring travel-sized laundry soap, then do! It's very expensive in the laundry rooms. Also bring lots of quarters... the dryers always seem to stop just five minutes shy of your load being completely dry! :headache:

Kathy

Done
Mostly done
Not even close to done

Pre-order Photo Pass
Autograph Books and Pens
Buy Laundry detergent
Buy Toiletries
Buy Road snacks
Picnic food for Savannah
Assemble Notebook and decorate
Pack covertly so children don't know
Lie to my children (guilty feelings)
Go to school and pick up homework
Go to bank for spending money and quarters
Decorate pressed penny tubes
Spend time on Dis to avoid finishing the rest of my tasks :banana:

My kids counted tonight that they will be gone from home for 4 nights. DD wished it could be an even 5 nights. DS said no, that would cost to much money..I trained him he's a cheapskate like me. Little do they know we will be away from home for 9 nights!!! :woohoo:

We leave home in 2 more sleeps!!! :yay::dance3::yay:

I just found these new laundry sheets from Purex at Walmart. One dry sheet has detergent, fabric softener, and anti static all in one sheet!. You put the sheet in the washing machine and then it transfers to the dryer and works like a dryer sheet as well. The best part is that it is dry so if you are traveling by plane there is no liquid to worry about exploding in my bags. (we are driving so it really doesn't matter but I love to try new products) I had a coupon from the Sunday paper to save me $3.00 and it was only a little over $5 to begin with!:cool1: I will post in my TR when we get back how they worked out.

I have been reading your blog and even though I am not a fellow "penny pincher" I always like the ideas. I was not a (cough inconspicuously) one of those Disney Fans...but now my husband roles his eyes that I am blogging or researching WDW AGAIN!!!! So there is hope!

By the way I to am afraid of heights - SOARIN makes me want to vomit, but it's Disney and I entertain the others around me. It seems to be getting worse in my old age. Anyways - have fun and I am looking forward to your post trip. We are leaving the day after Thanksgiving and spoiling ourselves at the Polynesian this year for our 15th anniversary celebration.

Enjoy, relax, and EPCOT over Universal!

By the way thanks for the Purex tip...I need to go get some! WDW is outrageous for laundry costs!

Done
Mostly done
Not even close to done

Pre-order Photo Pass
Autograph Books and Pens
Buy Laundry detergent
Buy Toiletries
Buy Road snacks
Picnic food for Savannah (brownies are in the oven pasta salad is cooking)
Assemble Notebook and decorate
Pack covertly so children don't know
Lie to my children (guilty feelings)
Go to school and pick up homework
Go to bank for spending money and quarters
Decorate pressed penny tubes (some things were not meant to get done)
Spend time on Dis to avoid finishing the rest of my tasks

Confirm all my reservations for the road

:3dglasses If I wear these glasses every thing looks done or mostly done

One more sleep and 1/2 Day at work until we hit the road... I am going to try and Dis from the road but I refuse to pay for internet access at DW so I will be silent after that unless I hit up the MCD's for free WI-FI.

Good luck and Pixie dust to all my Dis friends applying to the Mom's Panel Tonight!!! pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter