Surf Lesson Recommendations?

pamelaj

Mouseketeer
Hi,
I would love any surf lesson recommendations that you may have. Ideally, our group of 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 8-11) would all love to learn, somewhere near the resort. I tried looking at earlier recommendations and it looks like Reeled In is now closed permanently.

Thanks!

We didn't end up fitting in a surf lesson on our trip but I have this woman in my notes as being highly recommended on the DIS.
https://sunsetsuzy.com/

There isn't a ton of great surf spots right around the resort so I don't know that you're going to find something super close...

Surf HNL partners with Aulani. You can book through Aulani as an excursion, or direct with them. We had a rental car and booked private lessons direct. They were very good, and the other staff came out during our lessons, so we had four instructors for the two of us (don't expect that... it was a total coincidence). It was great fun, and we enjoyed the private lessons because they could customise the time to our individual skill levels - my husband with trouble standing, and myself that can catch whitewater but wanted to learn to catch the bigger waves.

You can also rent boards from them, too, and they will deliver to the beach.

Thanks! Unfortunately, we can't book with Aulani, since they require you to be 13+ and two of our kids are 8

Will you consider going to Waikiki to take the surf lessons? We took lessons with Big Wave Dave. You can also check out Groupon for some ideas.

We did a lesson this week with North Shore Surf Girls. They are great!

https://northshoresurfgirls.com/

Also, they work with little tiny kids. Our girls had never tried this before, and honestly, they didn't love it, but I kinda knew that getting many facefulls of sea water was not going to be their favorite, but if they were ever going to try it, this was the place! But Carol was SO awesome, kind, and patient. We did a private lesson for the two of them together.

We're probably going to book lessons with North Shore Surf Girls for our next trip, as we have a day trip to the North Shore planned. It's a bit far of a drive if you only want surf lessons though.

Waikiki has some great surf spots as well, and the beach itself is nicer for any observers. The surfing in Kapolei was just kind of meh on the day we went, but the weather wasn't cooperating with us at all. (Strong onshore winds are never fun whilst surfing because they flatten out the waves.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!