Surge Protector??

FLkid

Mouseketeer
Here at the fort now,

I see probably 70% of rigs (many 10x the value of mine) without surge protectors. I’m assuming some chose a hard wired version like progressive industries makes.

But I just don’t get it...

a $100-$300 device could save you thousands in repairs and replacement of electrical devices and appliances. An older gentleman told me “I’ve never needed one”

but it’s like insurance, you don’t need it until you need it. And if you don’t have it when you need it you’ll really wish you did.

I’m curious to know what everyone’s reasons are for not owning one?

Here at the fort now,

I see probably 70% of rigs (many 10x the value of mine) without surge protectors. I’m assuming some chose a hard wired version like progressive industries makes.

But I just don’t get it...

a $100-$300 device could save you thousands in repairs and replacement of electrical devices and appliances. An older gentleman told me “I’ve never needed one”

but it’s like insurance, you don’t need it until you need it. And if you don’t have it when you need it you’ll really wish you did.

I’m curious to know what everyone’s reasons are for not owning one?
Most rigs 400k and more have them built in, so you won't see one. You can also have them built in when purchased so they are hidden. Not bad to have, get one.

I dont have one, just never bothered. The resetable ones are like 300$ I did used to check the voltage at the pole. But i never had a problem. That dosent mean i will not have one, just that i never did. Tbh, i hear all the time that its a must have, but have yet to meet any one that ever had a problem.

We have camped at FW for close to 30 years now, 1st in a tent, then 12 years in a popup, never used a surge protector for the popup and never had a problem. When we upgraded to our HTT, we were talked into one, and boy am I glad we were.

Day after Thanksgiving 2018, DH and I were sitting at our site at FW and we kept asking each other about the electrical smell in the air but we couldn't track it down. That night, I woke up because I was hot and it was too quiet, there was no power in the trailer. Got a flashlight, went outside to check the breakers and power box, the trailer power cord had partially melted at the end where it plugs in, but the surge protector really took a hit and was fried.

Our friends were camped across from us in their class C, the next morning I asked them if they had a surge protector and they said no. I showed them what happened and they said they would get one right away.

We had to replace our power cord and, of course, get a new surge protector, but I'll never camp without one now.

Scarry to be sure. Glad it wasnt worse. I know , i should get one. I will , but i get distracted easilly, i go on amazon and wham. 10 boxes at my door, not one was the surge protecter that i originally ment to get!

We’ve camped all over the US and Canada and have been thankful many times over that our Progressive EMS kicked off power to our RV. From High Voltage, Low Voltage and Open Grounds the money spent for the EMS has saved all of our appliances and electronics time and time again. If you don’t have one you don’t know that at any point in time, not just when you first plug in, something can go wrong with the power supply. And, yes, it does happen at Fort Wilderness! You won’t know you had a problem until it’s too late. It’s cheap, reliable insurance for your investment and peace of mind. Wouldn’t camp without it.

A lot of them are hard wired into the unit, that's how the one was on our last MH. I have yet to add one to our new one, it's on my list.

I have always used them, I have one for 30 amp and one for 50 amp. I wouldn't plug in without. I even use it on my 30 amp at home. dealer said one was built in, but dealer also said my rig wasn't wired/set up for a generator. took delivery and of course, it was set up for a generator. I already had the protectors from previous unit, so just a (good) habit

...But I just don’t get it...a $100-$300 device could save you thousands in repairs and replacement of electrical devices and appliances....
Ditto on the need to have one. They can be expensive to purchase which makes me just as curious why those that do have/use them do not lock them to the pedestal.
While protecting the RV is one thing, I’m also trying to protect all our cell phones, watches, iPads, and my laptop while they’re charging overnight.

They can be expensive to purchase which makes me just as curious why those that do have/use them do not lock them to the pedestal.
We always lock our Progressive EMS with a cable lock to the pedestal no matter where we stay including the Fort. We just came back from an RV rally where a "lock it or lose it" seminar was held. It generated quite the discussion about stolen EMS units and other things. Unfortunately it happens more often than any of us would like to think.

Ok , so you all , i blew a fuse, a no biggie, but because of this thread woke up at 530 am and started checking on stuff. No problems, but i swore i smelled ellecteical burning, lol. Outside to check the pedistal and feed to the camper. Only bad dreams..........i will get one asap, but im on a trip! Insert planet of the apes clip with charlton heston here, by the statue of liberty! Lol.

Shortly after posting this thread I saw on one of my rv FB groups a lady was asking if her home owners insurance is responsible for her RV electrical system being fried (and all her appliances) because while plugged in at her own home (which she stated she had plugged in there for the last four years). Several people asked if her surge protector failed and she told them she has never owned one. Of course, Her HOI was telling her they were not paying. I can’t imagine the costs for something like that.

Anyways,
This is the one I own

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30-epo/

It’s not cheap but I picked this one because if a surge happens and the unit is fried you can replace the internals for $20 Vs having to buy a whole unit.

I always lock mine to the power pedestal, I know it won’t prevent theft if they have the right tools but it will deter it.

If I had to do it over again I might get a unit that you hard wire inside.

To answer your initial question, my EMS is hardwired inside.
For full protection you need more than a "Surge Protector". I know that's what everyone calls them but the best protection is an EMS (Electrical Management System) They protect from surges, overvoltage, undervoltage- This will kill a bunch of your electronics like ACs. refrigerators, TVs, and sound systems. They detect bad grounds as well as miswired poles. The full protection starts around $300 and up for a 50 amp unit. Never leave home without it. It's saved me a couple of time in an undervoltage situation. Full campground in the middle of summer and we had a brownout. It shut down everything inside my coach but saved it too.

When we bought our new fifth wheel, I ordered and installed a Progressive Industries 50amp EMS hardwired unit with the remote display within the first couple of weeks. I have been camping for 40 years and never had one. I consider myself fortunate. I will not own another camper without one. The cost of campers nowadays far outweighs the cost for the EMS. If you are comfortable with minor electrical work and have a good internet connection for an instructional YouTube video, hardwired installation is pretty simple. JMO

Steve

Old trailer and anything I previously camped in no EMS protection. My new trailer we got a hardwired EMS by Progressive Industries 50 Amp with remote display. 2 times it tripped off plus I saw low voltages and the like. So far ours has paid off dividends just but confirming what I would just normally suspect. My father on the other hand is old school. He will run without one and as he put it, I have dealt without one this long and really I don't care if it takes out the toaster oven. They only have an AC unit and residential fridge in the trailer. The fridge was an old the shelf dorm style replacement when the original fridge failed. However he gets it with my trailer as it is newer and I have more going on in it. He understands I want to have some form of protection on the rig. Since my parents and I tend to camp together at one of the local spots. He will call over and ask what the local electrical conditions are before turning on the air or run a fan instead.

However one thing my father will say is all us 50A trailer owners are killing it for the 30A people. I said to him yeah and back in the day all I heard about was how the motorhome was 30A and mom should check with the campground to make sure it is a 30 Amp site so you can run the AC. Our local place is converting their sites to 50A in phases. His site is on the end of the run of one of the first 30A service runs. My parents first motorhome I think had 15/20 amp service or some version of.

I don't have one because my whole pop up was only $1500 a decade or so ago. Even so, I would hate to lose a/c while camping.

We have a large travel trailer that has a dedicated spot with electrical on our property. I never worried about that until reading this thread. May invest in one for that, and then when we sell it I can use it for the pop up. Just not spending that kind of money specifically for the pop up.

Full campground in the middle of summer and we had a brownout. It shut down everything inside my coach but saved it too.

I had never heard of a brownout in my 55 year of life until about a month ago. We had one here at the house and all the electrical went crazy. Never seen anything like it. I thought it was just our house and cut off the main circuit. Found out shortly afterward that it was everyone on our electric loop (32 homes) and lots of people had their refrigerators fried. The power company reimbursed them, but what a nightmare!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!