Surgery on inner thigh before trip. Advice?!?

tongates2001

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I just had surgery 4days ago on my inner thigh. One area has stitches but the other is a large open wound. It’s very painful and I can’t even walk much yet. We are leaving for Disney in 2 weeks. I don’t want to miss out on enjoying this time with my sweet daughters. Has anyone had anything similar. Abscess surgically cut out? They say healing can take up to 8 weeks. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the trip more comfortable?!?
Thanks

Talk to your surgeon is #1. They are really the only ones who can tell you if a trip in that time frame will be doable with your medical history and needs.

Hello everyone. I just had surgery 4days ago on my inner thigh. One area has stitches but the other is a large open wound. It’s very painful and I can’t even walk much yet. We are leaving for Disney in 2 weeks. I don’t want to miss out on enjoying this time with my sweet daughters. Has anyone had anything similar. Abscess surgically cut out? They say healing can take up to 8 weeks. Any suggestions on what I can do to make the trip more comfortable?!?
Thanks

If you are medically cleared to go, consider renting an ECV, especially if you are staying at one of the on-site Resort Hotels.

I presume that walking during healing will be encouraged, but at WDW the average Guest walks between 3 and 10 miles per day. You can park the ECV, and walk around an area, maybe do a ride or two, have a snack, etc. - then move to the next area. Using a wheelchair means that someone will have to push you - you *might* make it through the first day self-propelling, but the second day your arms, hands and shoulders will be shot. Even a highly conditioned athlete will find it difficult to self propel through a traditional WDW vacation. Using the ECV means that you don't have to worry about your spouse/partner/travel companion pushing you and trying to keep an eye on the kids. It also gives you a level of freedom you won't have with a wheelchair; you can, for example, make your own way to the bathroom while you are in the Parks without assistance. At the Resort, you can go on your own to fill your Resort Mug in the dining room, or take a load of laundry to the laundry room. Your daughters can walk alongside you (Disney rules clearly state that children are not allowed to ride along on ECVs) wherever you go, and you can enlist their help with "decorating" your rental ECV; maybe by tying colorful ribbons on to the armrests, or inexpensive cotton bandanas.

Even with an ECV, you may want to invest in some underwear that has longer legs, to help prevent chafing. Make sure that any garment you wear is breathable (important for healing) and be sure to take along plenty of bandage materials so you don't have to try and find them in Orlando. Consider if wearing sundresses would be better than shorts/pants.

First Aid Stations are in every Park; you can stop in there, and they will give you a place to change your dressing if needed.

Be sure to ask your doctor before using the pools and hot tubs on your vacation; unless you have healed sufficiently, you could be setting yourself up for more problems.

my biggest concern would be keeping the area clean and DRY. we all know how much you sweat at Disney, walking or not walking.

Thanks

Healing can take up to 8 wks. and you're planning to leave for Disney in 2 wks.???

JMO, but I wouldn't be venturing to Disney (or any trip) so soon. Doesn't seem like ideal healing environment to me. Would definitely consult Dr. and be sure he knows it's mostly outdoors.

A large open wound that would be rubbing and chafing against your other leg or whatever?

You need to be where you can, whenever you wish to, remain stationary for long periods of time.

I vote for rescheduling your trip.

Thanks
Reschedule your trip. Too much can go wrong. Take this trip when you can enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter