Surprise split stay for my family? Help me with the math, please?

LovePug

DIS Veteran
Quick backstory: I had to postpone our 12/18 trip and move our ressies at POP out to Easter week 2019, and added an extra day. I have the dining plan booked for the 6 nights. Total cost $2,562 and change (I already have 5 day base tickets and don't need those). Now I'm rethinking things and am looking at other possible options.
One of the things I'm thinking is to:
* Drop the trip back down to 5 nights, keep my POP ressie with dining for the first 3 nights, and then do the last 2 nights at the Contemporary (standard room, most likely)-making sure to arrange park days accordingly.
If I'm doing the math correctly, my 3 POP days, with dining, would be around $1300...which would leave me enough left out of the $2562 budget to surprise my family with 2 nights Deluxe.

Am I figuring this correctly and what do you think of the idea?

I would personally stick with six nights at POP. We've done a split stay once and might do it again, but not at the expense of vacation time.

Quick backstory: I had to postpone our 12/18 trip and move our ressies at POP out to Easter week 2019, and added an extra day. I have the dining plan booked for the 6 nights. Total cost $2,562 and change (I already have 5 day base tickets and don't need those). Now I'm rethinking things and am looking at other possible options.
One of the things I'm thinking is to:
* Drop the trip back down to 5 nights, keep my POP ressie with dining for the first 3 nights, and then do the last 2 nights at the Contemporary (standard room, most likely)-making sure to arrange park days accordingly.
If I'm doing the math correctly, my 3 POP days, with dining, would be around $1300...which would leave me enough left out of the $2562 budget to surprise my family with 2 nights Deluxe.

Am I figuring this correctly and what do you think of the idea?

In order for anyone to check your math, you would need to let us know your dates, room category, number and ages of people traveling and which dining plan you have booked. Is it a room plus dining package?

In order for anyone to check your math, you would need to let us know your dates, room category, number and ages of people traveling and which dining plan you have booked. Is it a room plus dining package?

Currently booked for 4/19-4/25/19 with a ticketless package with DDP. 2 adults and 1 Disney adult (12 when traveling). We are in a Standard room at POP. Current total at just over $2562.

I wouldn't change it.

A) You lose a night.
B) You lose precious time moving between hotels and then having to settle in all over again.
C) There are other surprises you could spring on them, without having to move. Think of specialty dining options. Wild Africa Trek. A tour. Etc.

You'll have a blast regardless of where you stay!

Currently booked for 4/19-4/25/19 with a ticketless package with DDP. 2 adults and 1 Disney adult (12 when traveling). We are in a Standard room at POP. Current total at just over $2562.

Your math looks correct to me. I just priced it out and got:

4/19 - 4/22, Pop, Standard (Gift of Magic Promo) with DDP for 3 adults: $1278.99
4/22 - 4/23, CR, standard-Garden Wing (Gift of Magic Promo), room-only: $961.20

That would be $300 less than what you are paying now which you could put toward your OOP dining for those days. Or, for $150 more, you could add the DDP to the CR reservation.

Or, you could split the difference? For only about $230 more, you could do all 6 nights at CBR (standard, with Gift of Magic discount) with DDP.

I don't think CR is worth shortening your trip by a day.

I would keep the 6 days at POP. I've stayed at value, moderate, and deluxe. Deluxe is really not that amazing. Yes, if you have it for an entire stay you have more space and extra dining. But for the sake of one night totally not worth the time it takes to switch.

If you were looking to make a change, what I would do is see if you could get a deal (usually released in October or January for Easter I think? You'd have to check) for POFQ for the 6 days. That would be a huge upgrade for the trip and especially since you have the DDP you'd have better access to Disney Springs dining and Boatwrights.

I would price out where you plan on having your meals, and see if the Dining Plan is worth for you. I would upgrade to a Moderate at pay for dining out OOP, rather than a split stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!